Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137308 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1515 on: April 21, 2010, 01:22:34 am »

Tiger -

Check options under O - then look at refuse management.  If this was the open-air farm, then the dwarves will ignore dumping orders on it as long as they're set to ignore refuse that's outside.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 21, 2010, 06:56:05 am »

Tiger -

Check options under O - then look at refuse management.  If this was the open-air farm, then the dwarves will ignore dumping orders on it as long as they're set to ignore refuse that's outside.

..........really?

If that is true, i'd really like to facepalm, but I'm afraid that i'll separate my head from my throat.

ALSO:
When creating a drain at the border of your map... make sure, that you have carved the fortifications BEFORE you tap the river...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:01:53 am by TigerPlushie »
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #1517 on: April 21, 2010, 03:17:03 pm »

Playing Dig Dwarfier. Ten or so orcs attack. I realize the levers to the drawbridges across my vast artificial chasm do not work due to a series of fuck-ups from my side, and the Orcs charge across the bridges. My defensive ballista fires a single arrow, and misses. I order my dwarves to make a last stand... and find a whole squad fast asleep ::).

Chose to "Succumb to the invasion" at that point.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 22, 2010, 09:43:55 am »

Since I've been playing for less than a week, I've been getting "Oh, so THAT'S how it's done" moments every ten minutes or so.

I'm pfutzing around with 40d and have just found a magma pool...and it's not even autumn of my first year yet! Surely this is a sign of the gods' favour. Since I feel all proud at having learned how to set up magma forges, I start digging the grid when... "You have broken into a peculiar chamber through the base of the mountain." Well, groovy. I've never seen that message before.

Wiser souls than I can see where this is going, yes?

The hole at the bottom of the chamber is giving me the jibblies, however, so I build a door in the tunnel, lock it, and then put up a wall outside the door for good measure (shut up, cowardice has served me well in the past). But then I go up one level and look...there's people. And they look all sad. Well, we're not having any of that. We'll save them, give them some food and a warm place to stay, and then we'll wall up that tunnel as well.

So yeah.

Stuff in the dephts is cloaked until you come face to hideous face with it, apparently. Who knew?

Today's lesson? Altruism doesn't pay. Ever.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 22, 2010, 10:03:27 am »

Quickly pasted a duplicate but non controllable dwarf civ to allow them to trade with custom fortress civs.  I generate a world and wait for the entire thing to gen.

That's odd, dwarven cities?  A lot of them.  Hell they have taken over 80% of the world!  The only place not overrun by the mighty dwarven army is a group of elves isolated inside a mountain valley!  Holy crap!

Turns out I wasn't paying attention to where I put the 2nd dwarf raw.  I stuck the entire dwarven raw entry right smack dab in the middle of my Dracon race's entity file.  Somehow that created a superrace that easily took over all accessible parts of the world. Despite both races being rather defensive normally.  Beware the short, scaly, bearded, winged, booze loving, lizard race.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:06:47 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 22, 2010, 11:23:20 pm »

Alright... this was very... very... VERY painful!

I start out in a rather moderate setting, but everything goes totally awesome! My fortress goes deep enough with hitting a cave, the stocks say, that there is a mysterious adamantine rapier located "somewhere", my planter gets moody, claims a metalsmithy and produces a gold chain mail shirt AND becomes legendary armorer (*gasp*), the waterfall on my stairway works just excellent....

...then: My dwarves refuse to dump the stones from the open-air section of my farm. I dug down a lot of levels for it to work so I can plant aboveground crops.... but the enormous amount of stone remains untouched... but only the ones from the dug down area. the other ones were dumped correctly. Building a farm on them had "some" of them removed, but the farmer just hanged himself trying to free the farm plot to be. Since it was late and I was already frustrated from an earlier failed fortress, i abandoned.
Turn off "dwarves ignore outside refuse". (press O-R-O)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:36:33 pm by immibis »
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:09 am »

The hole at the bottom of the chamber is giving me the jibblies, however, so I build a door in the tunnel, lock it, and then put up a wall outside the door for good measure (shut up, cowardice has served me well in the past).

Hehe, good story.  This particular bit was a good idea, though...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KG

mustyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 23, 2010, 03:13:18 pm »

I genned 5 worlds before I realized to make custom ones, I had to choose it at the menu >.<
Urist McWhiner: But he is better stonecrafter than everybody combined in this fortress!!
Urist McManager: Aye, but he ain't 16 yet. So he hauls stuff

daedin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 23, 2010, 06:39:27 pm »

i decided to register to share this. I really had to. I am not a newbie, this is not my first fortress, and i just cannot believe what i just did.

I dug to the brook in the first year of my fortress. And a whole floor was intended to be flooded, then drained and serve a farmlands - for most of the year i focused on that - and all the farms were dug, floodgates placed linked to a lever, i even had taken the time (figuring i had it before winter) to dig the interesting ores along the tunnel to the brook and re-wall it's sides. Grates were present at the start of the tunnel, everything was perfect for a late-autumn flood and starting the cultures during winter.

I ordered my miners to channel the last space to the brook... and nothing.

I just dug all that a whole level ABOVE the brook  :o.

*facepalm*

I usually plan ahead for that - i have a gem cutter in my starting dorfs just in case i need to trade a lot with the first caravan. we're at the start of autumn, i still have time to cut all the gems i've found while digging this, so i should be able to get that corkscrew i need to make a pump to fix this.

At the very second this thought was formed in my mind, the game auto-pauses: Urist McGemCutter has been possessed!

*facepalm*

I had no craftsdwarf. I select a peasant migrant i just had, make him a bone carver, create a crafter's workshop. Urist McGemCutter goes there, as planned, and requires bones and leather.

Ok - i can manage that. I order a dorf to become a butcher, build a butcher's workshop. Look around for slaughterable animals. I have a tame donkey, and three named cats. Slaughter the donkey, ask the butcher to be a tanner, tan the hide... Urist McPossessed wants MORE bones and MORE leather!

:'(

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 23, 2010, 06:46:02 pm »

You said that you're at the start of autmn, right? Then you should still have a chance to save that dwarf if the caravan hasn't gotten there yet. Just hope they are bringing some animals along.

Gareth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: April 23, 2010, 10:20:13 pm »

Literally only been playing a couple of days, wanting to carve my hands to pieces but loving every moment of it. Somehow reading about all the face palm moments is the biggest motivator of all! Really have discovered how failure can be fun =D

First major fail though was flooding 3z of my 4z fortress... Apparently, I didn't quite understand how water works ^_^;; Flooding included some rather nasty fish too. Miners were goners, no spare picks.

Silvit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 24, 2010, 01:33:02 am »

having 40 dwarfs walk off a cliff,
i got a Urist McLemming has collided with an obstacle
i paused and went to investigate and found that my dwarfs were trying to retrive some loot from the top of a waterfall, were pushed off and fell 16 z-levels to their deaths.
the bottom of the waterfall is littered with their exploded corpes.
their last thought was "Has been confronted by a lovely waterfall lately"

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:45 am »

Excuse the long narrative here, but I've always been a bit of an obsessive storyteller. ^^'

This was back in v0.28.
(EDIT: by that I mean 40d. ^^')

Having started one of my fortresses with a slow and incompetent miner, I accidentally managed to get her to channel a tunnel into a aquifer on the map I had embarked on. Needless to say, she drowned. I wasn't put off though, and proceeded to build my fortress above ground, next to the coast. My carpenter spent most of his time building the 'lower class' buildings early on, purely from wood, but after I had a mason come through and the town hit 50 inhabitants, the need for noble buildings with stone walls arose. No biggy, I kept to my usual outdoor design of 'stone walls, wood floors'. My carpenter, who had had a long break, was now a grand master and had made hundreds of beds in his 'time off'.
It was partway through the third year, and having been on an island all this time with little in terms of goods being produced, immigrants were coming slowly. I had hit about 65 dwarves by now, and all seemed to be going well. I had prepared a grand extension to my dining hall, by refurbishing the lower level into a group of kitchens with a central stockpile for produced food, and converting the basement into a large stockpile completely for the use of foodstuffs ready to be used for the kitchens. Above that, would be a tower of suitable dining areas, with a large central opening that allowed dwarves to look down directly into the kitchen. It was a megaconstruction within the megaconstruction of the actual fortress (which was built to look like a medieval castle), and was built around an idea of mine for 'the ideal restaurant'.
Part way through the construction of the roof, and after a large influx of migrants, I decided to expand it upwards by another floor. Hence, the central section needed to be removed, to keep the feel of the building. I ordered the centre of the roof to be dismantled, and the 30 idle peasants of the time immediately rushed to the building to dismantle it.
Of course, 30 dwarves trying to dismantle the same area of flooring is not a good idea. And so I found out.
The dwarves who arrived first began to dismantle their tiles, and then others came in, standing on tiles that were being dismantled, to try and dismantle their own.
It was a spectacular performace, I think. 30 dwarves went to the roof that day, only 13 came down. The others all lay in crumpled heaps in the centre of the food stockpile, crying out in agony. Because of my severe bucket shortage, and the fact both of my carpenters (including the grand master) were lying with broken legs in the food stock pile, only 5 of the dwarves who plunged through that hole actually survived.
And the most unfortunate victim? Poor little fluffy, the resident kitten, had a falling section of the floor hit her on the way down.

As of the future of that fortress, the fort was later abandoned when the bronze colossus who had taken residence on the other side of the island got a bit sick of his noisy neighbours, and went on a rampage, sneaking in through the hole in the wall in the noble quarter. The poorly trained castle guards and quickly drafted militia became either snacks or toothpicks, and the colssus went on to kill 50 something of the 90-odd fortress residents of the time. And he destroyed the stills. Meaning no more booze. Having never actually been killed, the colossus remained in the ruin for a full year, hanging around the well in the centre of the noble district. Booze stockpiles dwindled, and eventually it became obvious that all my dwarves would die of thirst. On the 14th obsidian, 16, the dwarves abandoned that fortress for good.

The save file was later lost when I formatted my harddrive to make way for a new operating system... Sorry guys  :'(
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:45:03 am by Libelnon »
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 24, 2010, 10:37:41 am »

my current fortress i started off digging down to -140th floor right away to make my base by lava sea, my dwarves where getting all mad about not enough to drink and i was still preparing my brewery area so i decided to dig down from my farm project from 20 tiles above, i built the tunnel one spot north of my dining room and then went 2 below and under the wall so i would have a well that was deeper then 1. I opened the floodgate to fill in the well and low and behold there is this thing called preasure because of gravity *facepalm* it took a long time before i could clean the mess up
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:40:19 am by zeke47 »

IKillZombieWolves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 24, 2010, 11:21:26 am »

Well ok, I made a new fort after having to abonden one I forget why though. So I made the fort, got the trade depot up first thing and got everything ready for trade so I could get a large amount of food for my dwarves so I didnt need to worry about hunger so I didn't even bother with the farm plots just relying on gathering until the merchants came and i was like ok lets trade the rock crafts with them and then when i opened up the move items to depot menu i was like "Why are there no rock crafts, I had them ordered to make them!"  I looked around the map and found i forgot the most important thing.... I had nothing to trade for food. So that fortress just kinda was an embarassing fail.   :'(
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 729