Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130081 times)

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1455 on: April 14, 2010, 03:05:09 pm »

Crack open first cavern in .31, look around. All I see are troglodytes so I just assume there's nothing more dangerous around. I decide not to wall up the hole or build doors or any sort of defense.

One season later: Doctor, militia commander and the only two armored dwarfs were killed by GCS, military and war dogs wiped out by forgotten beast, constant spam of messages from dwarfs being interrupted by elk birds, troglodytes and moledogs. Recruit everyone, send them unarmed to attack the forgotten beast. 30/50 recruits die before beast succumbs to having its lungs punched in.

Within another season, everyone was dead or knocked unconscious from troglodytes. Abandon the fort.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 14, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »

So, I started a new fortress today..

Among my earlier jobs, is to get some statues erected to shiny the place up until the grand hall can be finished.

The first one my mason creates?

A dwarf being struck down by an elf.

Meet Unib McBeardless.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 14, 2010, 06:03:39 pm »

One of my dwarves went into a fey mood. He was skilled in cooking so I decided to make a kitchen for him. He didn't budge from the statue garden... so I made some craftsdwarves shops... still nothing.

I eventually forgot he was standing there, and then I get the message Urist McHulk cancels fey mood: went insane. Great, nows he's in a berserk rage.

Earlier I defeated some skeletal troglydites with a couple random recruits, so I made an eight guy squad and sent them to kill the guy, figuring: hey, should be a piece of cake.

Urist McHulk killed ALL EIGHT OF THEM.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH! damnit...

luckily the last recruit killed Urist right before bleeding to death. Sadly I can't be bothered to make him a special grave right now... guess he'll just rot outside with everyone else...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:17 pm »

Hi!

To understand this, you need to know that I like building above ground structures so as to avoid cave adaptation. Needless to say, after my first encounters with blood in the 31.01 version and the huge disruption the sea of blood in my surface bed rooms has cause, I have deliberately changed my fortress design to avoid any insoluble blood issues.

Now, while one of the armed caravans was in the depot in my young 31.03 fortress, a cougar strayed near them and got shot with a bolt. It moved away, trailing blood and finally bled to death quite a bit away from my fortress proper.

I checked on the cougar a few times in hope someone would butcher it, but in the end, I only got the bones and skull out of it.

Spring arrived, and I looked around the fortress also wishing to check on my fields which are one z-level above the entrance/trading area of the fortress (I got maybe 3 levels of rising terrain on the north of my map with a really nice "bay" in the middle) - and all I saw was red!

I had totally forgotten that I had not created a dining hall yet and the wagon was standing right next to a random murky pool. Someone or something must have gotten in contact with the cougar (probably when retrieving the bolt), washed themselves at that very pool - and all the animals and idle dwarves have multiplied it into a sea of blood!

I really goofed there, and I am not sure if I will get enough rain to clean up that mess there (^_^;;

Deathworks

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 15, 2010, 12:32:09 am »

I would love to be shown the difference between;
Minced
Well Minced
Very well Minced
Expertly Minced
and Masterfully Minced
The Fire imp meat has been menced into a paste, so much so it had to be reconstituted into a biscut,
Expertly minced salsa... well, you can see the chunks
Minced tomato.. lots of wide slices
Very well minced lettuce leaves... stringy slices
Well minced cow cheese... thin slices
all atop a basic minced bun ... cut once.

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 15, 2010, 05:56:20 am »

I accidentally embarked without any food; well, I brought 3 cave lobsters for their shells but that was it. By the time I realized this everyone was too busy hunting for nonexistent vermin to eat to do anything that might actually have saved them :(

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:52 pm »

I'm not sure if I should be jumping from joy or facepalming; my forts residential district is being dug into a seam of lignite back to back with a vein, around 4 blocks wide, of hematite. Also, my cistern is flanked on two levels by a seam of bituminous coal. Good thing there's plenty more where that came from.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:11:02 pm by Hertzyscowicz »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 15, 2010, 03:01:33 pm »

I'm not sure if I should be jumping from joy or facepalming; my forts residential district is being dug into a seam of lignite back to back with a vein, around 4 blocks wide, of hematite. Also, my cistern is flanked on two levels by a seam of bituminous coal. Good thing there's plenty more where that came from.

How is this a facepalm? Just dig it all out, build walls where the walls should be, and smooth the rest.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »

Just a moment ago, i got the third Legendary Leather Buckler Encrusted With Diamonds in a row.
Well, at least Leatherworkes are kinda useful.
Also, i find very, very frustrating one thing - i can not give priorities to the designations (or facepalmish, if i don't know how to do it). Almost in every fortress i have a situation, like, very big designation for lots of rooms and other fancy stuff, "dig it, dorf!" and so on, and suddenly i need a very little thingy to be dug in this moment, not a couple-of-game-years-later - so i have to de&redesignate  lot of stuff to have it done right now. >_<
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:54:52 pm by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 15, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »

Also, i find very, very frustrating one thing - i can not give priorities to the designations (or facepalmish, if i don't know how to do it). Almost in every fortress i have a situation, like, very big designation for lots of rooms and other fancy stuff, "dig it, dorf!" and so on, and suddenly i need a very little thingy to be dug in this moment, not a couple-of-game-years-later - so i have to de&redesignate  lot of stuff to have it done right now. >_<

You cant really set priority for what gets mined first (to my knowledge at least) Best way I've found to control what gets dug is to designate small sections at a time. Then open up the next area to be dug when you are ready.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 15, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »

My military commander was a legendary axedwarf, not to mention sheriff. He threw a tantrum, and killed a cat and wounded two dwarves. The first dwarf just got a gashed forearm, but the second lost an arm at the shoulder and a leg at the knee. Worse, he was my only medical dwarf, so he gets treated by dabblers. To make matters worse, as sheriff, he decides not to punish himself. Even more tragic, the cat belonged to him.

To top it all off, the first dwarf with minor injuries died of thirst in the hospital while waiting in line for treatment.

Good news, though! He's out of the hospital on crutches now.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 15, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »

A bronze colossus showed up, and after reading all the reports of how horrendous they are, I figured I was toast.  So I breached the volcano and began filling my fortress and the caverns with sweet, sweet magma.  All the while, the BC is playing one of my hunters like a rubik's cube.  It's a good ending, I expect death and destruction and magma, when the damn BC gets caught in a cage (Yeah, I forgot).

Um, does anyone have a big enough bauxite cork to put in the hole in the volcano?  I breached it 80 levels beneath the caldera...
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 15, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »

Quick, you can stop the magma flood with skillful and surgical application of magma!  Quickly before your fort is completely magmaflooded!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 15, 2010, 10:18:05 pm »

I threw magma on it but it doesn't seem to be helping!

Wow, I can't believe I just typed that.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 15, 2010, 11:41:07 pm »

How is this a facepalm? Just dig it all out, build walls where the walls should be, and smooth the rest.

Hmm...it'll be a facepalm once the lignite vein gets set on fire accidentally...

KG
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 729