Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130017 times)

Matthew117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1380 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:51 pm »

Learning that I can designate digs that span z levels.

I still haven't figured that out yet. How do you do that?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 06, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »

To double my facepalm, an entire immigration wave froze to death as I discovered water freezes for a few weeks on my map... I can't find a pick to mine my way through the ice.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #1382 on: April 06, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »

Third time in a row I ran out of fuel and had to go outside for wood. I have plenty of bitumnous coal/lignite, but smelter that uses them to melt ore is working faster than one doing fuel.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 06, 2010, 04:05:24 pm »

Forgot to make my craftsdwarf's workshop make crafts after it was taken over by my miner.
The caravan came with all the stuff that I wanted and I only have several backpacks, a quiver, and some rope to give. D:
EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:07:14 pm by Jack_Bread »

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 06, 2010, 04:35:59 pm »

I had two miners working on a giant pit shaft. One dwarf got attacked by a large rat and fell 40 z-levels. ;_;

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 06, 2010, 05:37:32 pm »

Got a good laugh out of this thread so far, and it makes me feel not-as-bad about my own multitude of errors upon trying DF for the first time between yesterday today.

Here's how my Fortresses have panned out so far:

#1: I have absolutely no clue how to dig down when I start atop a hill with no walls nearby
#2: Hey let's embark with one pick and seven dwarves
#3: Hey, this time let's get through setting up half our foodstuffs, kind of, and then mash "e" on the wrong screen trying to type "meat".
#4: Hmm, I'll have the game seek out a nice area for me. Wow, even my beast of a computer is dragging. Hi there, Program Manager. DF is using...WHAT?! Almost TWO GIGS of memory. Trying to find an area. And then it promptly crashes.

Who's batting an oh-fer? Me! Just wait until I find Fun. D:
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:18 pm »

Got a good laugh out of this thread so far, and it makes me feel not-as-bad about my own multitude of errors upon trying DF for the first time between yesterday today.

Here's how my Fortresses have panned out so far:

#1: I have absolutely no clue how to dig down when I start atop a hill with no walls nearby
#2: Hey let's embark with one pick and seven dwarves
#3: Hey, this time let's get through setting up half our foodstuffs, kind of, and then mash "e" on the wrong screen trying to type "meat".
#4: Hmm, I'll have the game seek out a nice area for me. Wow, even my beast of a computer is dragging. Hi there, Program Manager. DF is using...WHAT?! Almost TWO GIGS of memory. Trying to find an area. And then it promptly crashes.

Who's batting an oh-fer? Me! Just wait until I find Fun. D:
I haven't really played the new version due to bugs and a shitty computer.
#1: You can (d)esignate (I think it's j)down staircases(or atleast you could in previous versions) but make sure you (d)esignate (u)p OR (i)up/down staircases the level below or your dwarves will just poke a hole through.
#2: I do that often on purpose, I might not with the new underground as reclaiming the pick might be a tad hard.
#3: ?
#4: This is the communities fault for nagging Toady to release the new version.
Meh.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 07, 2010, 02:21:15 am »

i would like to know too, the most efficient way of building staircases i found so far is holding down the mouse button in the square i want as well as [shift] + [>]
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 07, 2010, 02:51:24 am »

#3: ?

[/quote]

I was typing in name so fthings on the 'new item' screen, doing the searches...and accidentally typed "MEAT" on the main screen, which contains the letter 'e', which embarks. :(
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:17 am »

in my fancy new fort i was  working hard to make awesome, i was going to raise the land value with some engravings done by my legendary engraver (legendary before he went fey) what i got:
a masterful engraving of an elf, the symbol of the fences of justice
 -my civ.

facepalm headdesk
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Sulphuratum

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 07, 2010, 10:46:25 am »

Damned melting dwarves...
one half of the map was warm, one half hot.
i thought hot is not so evil, but everyone who wanted to go outside melted to death
*facepalm*
Serpentine fried up in olivine oil and limonite juice?  Sounds gneiss.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 07, 2010, 10:51:54 am »

Forgot to make a modded green dragon immune to it's own poison breath. 

I spent 30 minutes in the arena mode trying to figure out why they passed out and died shortly after killing my guinea pigs in arena mode before I finally figured it out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 07, 2010, 11:44:41 am »

i would like to know too, the most efficient way of building staircases i found so far is holding down the mouse button in the square i want as well as [shift] + [>]

That's how I do it now.  I know it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than doing it without the mouse.  Sorry, I wish I had a better tech.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:15 am »

A racoon stole one of my battle axes from the embark wagon as all my dwarves were either mining or hauling rocks.. a racoon for armok's sake! What would it ned it for? and how would it be carrying it?

I fear I will be besieged by woodland animals in the next few seasons..

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 07, 2010, 01:14:38 pm »

A racoon stole one of my battle axes from the embark wagon as all my dwarves were either mining or hauling rocks.. a racoon for armok's sake! What would it ned it for? and how would it be carrying it?

I fear I will be besieged by woodland animals in the next few seasons..

Damn those hippies elves. Not did they shun you if you cut enough trees or tried sold wooden items to them, now they have trained wild animals to steal weapons used to cut those trees!!  >:(
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 729