Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130004 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1275 on: March 13, 2010, 06:21:43 pm »

There's an init.txt (or possibly d_init.txt in 40d#) option to make magma features visible in the embark screen. Now you know that, you have no excuse to start without magma (unless you're challenging yourself)
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1276 on: March 13, 2010, 06:44:23 pm »

There's an init.txt (or possibly d_init.txt in 40d#) option to make magma features visible in the embark screen. Now you know that, you have no excuse to start without magma (unless you're challenging yourself)

My excuse is that I can't find which one :D
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Kaptain_Kabul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 13, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »

Okay here is the most epic facepalm moment i had.

The Scenario: A desert fortress. It had a few pools of water at start, but they dried up in the first year. So any injury a dwarf receives is deadly.And 2 of my champions already died in sparring fights and one because he fell of the stairs for unknown reasons, i suspect he fell over a sleeping watchdog.All died of minor, yellow injuries.

I had builded sleeping rooms 6 z levels beneath and channeled a small pool area there, to fill up, when it eventually starts to rain.
To get an access to the poolwater i builded a well.

7 - z
, ,  ,
, + ,    (empty space, channeled out from 6-z, soon to be filled with water)
, + ,    (empty space, channeled out from 6-z, soon to be filled with water)
, ,  ,

6 - z

+++
+○+       (a well to get direct access)
+  +      (open Space, surrounded with pondzones)
+++

Okay now the clue, i wanted to have a larger stockpile of water and i thought about surrounding  the 6-z refillzone with walls building the whole thing one z level higher.
5 - z

++ +
+   +   (the new filling zone(already zoned)
+○ +     (the new well)
++ + 

Now 2 things happened.

1. A goblin siege (three groups) were singlehanded defeated by one of my champions who was wearing some pants in his right hand. glorious dwarf... killing 18 goblines with pants!
His legend worthy to still be told in a thousand years (maybe without that pants detail). But oh cruel gods.. he got scratched by one of the attackers...

2.It started to rain after 7 years... (now i know how some people in desert countries feel if it starts to rain again)

Clearly a sign from the gods that this hero must be saved.

And yes my dwarfes start to pick up the buckets and collect water.

And after only 2 days of raining it stops again( oh you cruel gods.. i so hoped it was enough to save him.. its only a scratch.. it could be enough)

Okay i looked at my pond at 7-z

7-z
,  , ,
,2/7,
,1/7,
, ,  ,

6-z

+ + +
+○  +  (Well)
+1/7+ (open space actually, but you can see, theres rainwater)
+ + +

5-z

+++
+  +  (open space but because of the well on 6-z you cant see the water)
+○+  (the 2. well on 5z)
+++

Three units of water he will life... its enough!(i thought)

But no water is coming to him.....

oh what was happening.

I see dwaves with buckets running around. But outside is no more water.. nothing.. something is terrible wrong..
I dont even get the message that there is no more water to fill the pond.. but where does the water come from my dwarves throw in at 5-z....

Sadly the explanation was totally logical and hell worth of a facepalm

My dwarves managed to take out the water from the well (good guys).. and then they.... wandered one z level above and threw it into the 5-z refillzone... so they wandered from 6-z taking out the water from the well walking up the stairs throwing it into the same fillingpond one z level above.. and in this process all the three units of water condensated into thin air.

Oh cruel world..
My hero got a nice coffin and many engravings remembering him, sadly no word was ever spoken about the stupid wasting of water.
But now i know how to creat a waterfall with only buckets and enough dwarves.. but it surly doesnt work in the desert.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 13, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »

Init with 40d16. Virtual fortress will then tell you exactly where things are.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 13, 2010, 11:17:07 pm »

Okay here is the most epic facepalm moment i had.

The Scenario: A desert fortress. It had a few pools of water at start, but they dried up in the first year. So any injury a dwarf receives is deadly.
Sounds like somebody hasn't heard of the booze bug! If a dwarf is having bedrest but can still move on their own, deconstruct the bed beneath them and forbid all other constructed beds not owned by another dwarf (i.e. any unowned beds and its own bed). The dwarf will then go and get a drink of booze as normal.

Finding out about that bug after losing a champion to thirst is almost certainly worthy of a facepalm.

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1280 on: March 14, 2010, 02:44:51 am »

New facepalm, I just ran a search for it. And found it. [/smrt]
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 15, 2010, 01:10:16 am »

Make sure they haven't been selected to be moved by a dwarf. That takes them out of selection use until they get dropped off.

Or perhaps forbidden. Still, just keep digging down and you'll hit rock, not that hard.
There's a trick to this, but the game must be paused. Forbid and unforbid the [presumably stockpile-tasked] item, then hit your build job, and it'll be selectable.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:53 pm »

yaaaa you can make dwarves with injuries get up and drink beer if you remove their beds and all other non-claimed ones.... so you can make that broken arm dwarf get up and drink beer if you remove his bed.....  Knowledge preventing deaths and causing those that do happen all the worse!
Nom nom nom

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 16, 2010, 07:29:51 pm »

I've got an epic face-palm here.

I figured out the mass dumping/reclaiming commands early on and learned how to make constructions without much trouble, all that.

But I have also:

Learned the hard way that you don't forbid fancy materials until a moody dwarf is FINISHED with his artifact...

Say, hypothetically, you only had two steel bars to begin with, and you want to make sure nobody gets any funny ideas about making the remaining one into a -goblet- or something...  Good idea, but NEVER re-forbid all "steel bars" from the stocks menu unless Urist McWannabe-Legendary-Armorer is DONE--unless, of course, you'd much rather have a "grizzly bear bone backback" than a nice piece of artifact plate.  For some reason, the dwarf involved doesn't go insane; I guess whatever coping mechanism that makes them proud when their life's great work is a freakin' "chestnut scepter" lets them cope.

And of course, hypothetically, it takes about three botched artifacts for you to realize what's happening.

Then there's the stairs.  The accursed constructed stairs.  I've learned that you don't construct up-down stairs on solid earth if there's anything (or anyone) important underneath.  It doesn't matter if  you didn't channel through the ground and it's still completely intact once you deconstruct the X's in raging grief (the Dungeon Master!  Not the DM!  She wasn't a noble; she was actually useful!)--if the stairs are there, the crossbowmen know to shoot down through the z-levels.

(I can only assume that this particular goblin civ has been sending snatchers to Professor X's and managed to gob-nap Kitty Pryde.)

But that stuff's nothing compared to the fact that I only just this week figured out how to add unlisted items to your embark package.  So many forts...  so many forts where I accidentally removed the anvil and thought I couldn't get it back.  So many forts where I wanted to take turtles or fish or whatever and I didn't figure out how to just press the @%#&*^!! "n"!

Face.  Palm.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 16, 2010, 07:48:21 pm »

I made an outdoor, walled-in statue garden built into the side of a mountain to cure my dwarves' cave adaptation.
Turns out that when the goblins with crossbows arrive, the statue garden turns into a deathtrap.

Edit:

Also:

I hate my clothier now

Why? Was it a posession? If not, the only things I'd miss there are the gems.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kaptain_Kabul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 16, 2010, 09:49:36 pm »

yaaaa you can make dwarves with injuries get up and drink beer if you remove their beds and all other non-claimed ones.... so you can make that broken arm dwarf get up and drink beer if you remove his bed.....  Knowledge preventing deaths and causing those that do happen all the worse!

Actually i knew about this bug, but i try not to use such things because they are not intended to be used and it would be kind of lame.

Now i can tell my friends..
"Hey i tried to rescue my champion from thirst and created an artifical waterfall with buckets in the desert.. a short living artifical waterfall"
Friend1: " Wow, lol, they took the buckets from the lower floor and threw it back into the pool creating a waterfall, roflmao"
Friend2: "Seems to be a complex game, i should try it,too"

With the Bug using:
"Hey i rescued my champion using a bug in the game and he..
Friend1:" U used a bug.. sounds like cheating"
Friend2:" Bugusing.. thats lame"

You see not using the bug is much more dwarfenly.
But still surprised me that they really used the pondzone and created something incredible stupid."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 16, 2010, 10:44:29 pm »

I don't consider it a bug, I consider it forced labor under injured circumstances.
Nom nom nom

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 16, 2010, 11:08:13 pm »

I've got an epic face-palm here.

I figured out the mass dumping/reclaiming commands early on and learned how to make constructions without much trouble, all that.

But I have also:

Learned the hard way that you don't forbid fancy materials until a moody dwarf is FINISHED with his artifact...

You can theoretically forbid everything being used for the artifact, and have an artifact made of nothing.

mine said it was made of "toad leather". (or was that toad skin? can't remember and it crashed, darn it)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:50 pm »

what the hell does one do with a legendary left mitten made of cloth and rock

in a place where it never freezes

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 17, 2010, 04:20:31 pm »

what the hell does one do with a legendary left mitten made of cloth and rock

in a place where it never freezes
First ever oven mit?
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 729