Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137211 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1155 on: February 21, 2010, 01:40:37 pm »

I start digging, but then forget that support/cave-ins don't include diagonal support while designating channeling. 

CAVE IN!  It flings my worker backward, and she's dazed because she was standing near the cave in, but she isn't crushed... except it flings her into the channel I already dug... about 19 z levels straight down to the bottom, where only 23 stones are there to break her fall.

Incidentally, her head actually bounced an entire floor up, while her arms and legs stayed in the same tile.
I think I'm going to take this and sig it on another forum I hang out at.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 21, 2010, 02:05:18 pm »

Hmm... if you quote that, you might want to modify it a little [with brackets] to make sure that the idea that the arms were still detached from the body got through.

Also, fun note: She actually fell faster than many of the stones that were also knocked around by the cave-in (possibly because the cave-in cascaded down several floors?).  Her remaining body parts were then smashed into an even finer red mist by the 3 or 4 more stones that fell on top of her corpse afterward. 

I always like how, whenever someone dies, they are immediately stripped naked.  Insert "knocked her socks off" joke here.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 21, 2010, 03:14:55 pm »

God DAMN it.

Didn't realize my dwarves were such proficient cooks.

There are consistently less than 200 meat/fish/plant stocks listed. (They're listed right under the 14000 prepared meals.) So when I bought a truly massive quantity of food from the latest caravan, the food stockpile (which is ruddy massive in its own right) was full, and it all rotted in the depot.

Did you know rotted food is auto-dumped? Neither did I until I happened to glance at my old masons' complex and see it stinking up the joint, as my stone dump zone was the nearest active one. And not only did the imported food rot, but a whole season's worth of above-ground crops too it looks like.

Of course, now that I think of it, all the "Urist McCook has created a masterpiece" spam should have clued me in. Fucking facepalm.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 21, 2010, 04:46:27 pm »

God DAMN it.

Didn't realize my dwarves were such proficient cooks.

There are consistently less than 200 meat/fish/plant stocks listed. (They're listed right under the 14000 prepared meals.) So when I bought a truly massive quantity of food from the latest caravan, the food stockpile (which is ruddy massive in its own right) was full, and it all rotted in the depot.

Did you know rotted food is auto-dumped? Neither did I until I happened to glance at my old masons' complex and see it stinking up the joint, as my stone dump zone was the nearest active one. And not only did the imported food rot, but a whole season's worth of above-ground crops too it looks like.

Of course, now that I think of it, all the "Urist McCook has created a masterpiece" spam should have clued me in. Fucking facepalm.

Oh yeah, I have an oversized farm for the purposes of exporting prepared meals and clothing.  Every time I drag away workers to do construction work, I wind up with plants "rotting on the vine" all over the place.

Still, if you set up stockpiles for only prepared food, and prevent any barrels from being added, and set your cooks to "lavish meals" only, you can store much more food, since you can have stacks of something like 90-some-odd food, as opposed to having a seperate barrel for each 10 or so.  As long as they are on a stockpile, they don't rot, unless rats get to them.

As for crops rotting... well, you don't really lose that much if you produce more crops than you can process.  You use up a single travelling from the warehouse to the field by your farmer, plus the trip to the dump.  When they completely rot away, you even get the seeds back.

Farming is a something-for-nothing proposition right now.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 21, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »

So I'm playing with Dig Deeper for the first time... I'm gearing up, preparing for an Orc attack... I scroll away to work on something in my fortress and I see this:

Minkot Muthiriden, Champion cancels Sparring in Barracks: Interrupted by Dark Elf Wrestler.
The Stray Puppy (Tame) has suffocated.

...Dark Elves are breaking into my fortress and strangling my puppies. D:

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 21, 2010, 09:57:54 pm »

my first time with dig deeper i did not expect the orcs to seige so damm quickly.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 21, 2010, 10:08:51 pm »

I set off my mega death-trap, expecting to see torrents of magma rushing down the hallway.

I got a slow trickle. I'm using more than one pump next time.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 21, 2010, 11:21:12 pm »

I'm trying a new map, going for a low threat except for goblins (vanilla DF) experience with a serene setting in a swampland. No magma but more wood than I've ever seen so all good. I dig out my workshop area and start dumping all the stones next to where my mason/crafting shop is going to be. Decide it's taking too long, exit game, Speed:0 mod, enter game, get everything dumped... as I'm about to exit back out my kid tells me he wants a snack (he's 4) so instead of saving to exit I simply pause. While I'm in the kitchen, my daughter sneaks onto the computer (she's 2) and unpauses the game. She then goes to the kitchen and wants a snack as well (parents with >1 kid will tell you this is not unusual). Ten minutes later I'm back at my computer getting spammed by "x swamp has no more fish" messages. In that short of timespan, with speed:0, my fisherdwarf had fished out the entire 6x6 map... and was Legendary to boot.

Lesson learned: Minimize or make the save.

On the plus side, I don't think I'm going to run out of shells... ever.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 22, 2010, 02:16:14 am »

Learning how to properly use the mouse in DF, /facepalm that it took so damn long, Rclick, Return, Rclick, Return...that and getting a seige while trying to sculpt aboveground features.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 22, 2010, 03:31:29 am »

Tryied to block a dead of winter freezing brook, lost three miners because the work window only lasts for about 100turns...and now I am highly confused because my floodgates I build on the brook floor dont seem to do anything...they might start open...so now I have mechanics that have to brave the winter work...

/facepalm now, /facepalm later.

Floodgates start closed.

Are you sure they were constructed fully? if not they'll just be laying on the brook floor, looking like constructed floodgates, but there will be water on them.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 22, 2010, 03:55:35 am »

I learned that A:brooks flow slowly, drains very slowly and 'unfed' drys up in about a season per 20x2/7 B: Also apearently water doesnt have the pileup effect I thaught it would have...damn my flood the area project failed.
/facepalm
Oh and I had 12 ambushs in a row while trying to rebuild my floodwalls, that I only deconstructed to find out if my floodgates were indeed broken.
/double facepalm!
Finally I figured out why all my dwarves were ecstatic all the time...Average Dwarf in my fortress has made friends with every other dwarf and his/her profile event list is packed up with loads of "Has talked with a friend recently." and with the death of ANY dwarf the collective becomes collectively depressed, and or sparks off a tantrum spiral on the spot...I probably should have caught on when I had 23 weddings in one season, with only 85 dwarves.
/triple facepalm!
I got fed up so I pulled the lever of doom...only to find out the doom was broken.
/facepalming spree!

Hungry has been struck down, by facepalm.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 22, 2010, 05:42:10 am »

I've spent the 4 Dwarven years trying to figure out why my depot was not getting access. I paved a road, clear cut trees, smoothed boulders, carved ramps, did everything I could think of. Then I read on the forums that the depot access map starts at the actual building. Checking this revealed that wagons can't go over stairs, not even horizontally. *facepalm*
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 22, 2010, 06:16:54 am »

I've spent the 4 Dwarven years trying to figure out why my depot was not getting access. I paved a road, clear cut trees, smoothed boulders, carved ramps, did everything I could think of. Then I read on the forums that the depot access map starts at the actual building. Checking this revealed that wagons can't go over stairs, not even horizontally. *facepalm*
Although, oddly enough, they can pass over ramps even if the lower part of the ramp isn't next to a wall.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 22, 2010, 01:39:18 pm »

Although, oddly enough, they can pass over ramps even if the lower part of the ramp isn't next to a wall.

From what I understand this can also result in wagons lighting on fire if there is magma behind a wall that they go down via ramp.   Generally this goes unnoticed until dwarves finish bringing stuff to the depot which lights them on fire and they decide they need a drink.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 22, 2010, 04:58:01 pm »

I dug a ramp in the underground river, as there was a bit of an infestation to deal with and I didn't want to lose my elites because one slipped and fell in.

The ramp was dug, and battle was eagerly joined, with four snakemen and two lizardmen versus a champion and three elites.

Didn't take long to disperse, but one wounded snakeman fled into the water. An elite leaped in through the same ramp, chased it downriver, and drowned.

*insert FFFFUUUU- image here*
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 729