Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130099 times)

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1110 on: February 15, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »

In one fort there was a GCS running around that would kill off random dwarves.  I'd get a message saying "Urist McRedshirt has died" and I'd want to forbid all the dead dwarf's clothes to make sure the other dwarves didn't run into the spider trying to grab them.  (I did kill the GCS...eventually.)

The problem was that I had no idea where the dwarf's corpse was. I would have to hunt through 5 z-levels of a cliff forbidding stuff before I got the "Urist McHauler has canceled job" messages.  SO annoying.

...UNTIL I figured out a useful trick: z, Stocks screen, go down to "corpses" and press Tab to change the mode to display individual corpses.  Then find "Urist McRedshirt's corpse" and press the key to zoom in on it.  Presto, right to the corpse! :o
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 15, 2010, 02:42:28 pm »

I was looking at some engravings in my current fortress, when I noticed that the symbol of my civilization was an elf... :o
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 15, 2010, 02:55:11 pm »

Engraving the duke's room to make the little bugger shut up. My engraver engraves about a dozen pictures of one of his former engravings...

Also, I threw a goblin local leader into magma, so no sieges for a while, unless I manage to piss off the elves enough... My long-term goal is to capture the kings of every non-dwarven civ and put them into a zoo in my king's bedroom. Muhuhuhahaha!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 15, 2010, 02:57:40 pm »

I forgot to remove a few tags from my modded GCS before ADVENTURING!!!

[POPULATION_NUMBER:300:300]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:100]
[BIOME:ANY_LAND]

Guess what tore out my throat? and eye... and other eye... and HEART (I made them embedded).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 15, 2010, 03:42:59 pm »

In one fort there was a GCS running around that would kill off random dwarves.  I'd get a message saying "Urist McRedshirt has died" and I'd want to forbid all the dead dwarf's clothes to make sure the other dwarves didn't run into the spider trying to grab them.  (I did kill the GCS...eventually.)

The problem was that I had no idea where the dwarf's corpse was. I would have to hunt through 5 z-levels of a cliff forbidding stuff before I got the "Urist McHauler has canceled job" messages.  SO annoying.

...UNTIL I figured out a useful trick: z, Stocks screen, go down to "corpses" and press Tab to change the mode to display individual corpses.  Then find "Urist McRedshirt's corpse" and press the key to zoom in on it.  Presto, right to the corpse! :o

Or you could just use the orders menu to forbid items dropped on death.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #1115 on: February 15, 2010, 03:50:26 pm »

Or you could just use the orders menu to forbid items dropped on death.

Does that forbid corpses as well?

Either way, I think being able to zoom to a corpse is a useful trick to know.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 16, 2010, 03:36:49 am »

I embarked to an abandonded dark fortress tower made of bosidion.

It 4 towers and i took over the one right next to a hill i dug into for farming.

i pretty much didnt have to dig homes or places to store wood or minerals and shops

the only problem is that i dont have any flux :(

and i clearly notice the difference between steel armor and iron. dead recruits.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 16, 2010, 03:52:36 am »

it does.

And being able to zoom to a corpse is good for figuring out wtf killed him. Before the body gets moved anyway.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 16, 2010, 12:38:02 pm »

I learned that a raised drawbridge will get deconstructed by magma if it's only fire-safe instead of magma-safe. Good times.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 16, 2010, 02:00:38 pm »

it does.

And being able to zoom to a corpse is good for figuring out wtf killed him. Before the body gets moved anyway.
it (should) NOT; "forbid your dead" is a separate order from "forbid your death items"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 16, 2010, 02:46:56 pm »

it (should) NOT; "forbid your dead" is a separate order from "forbid your death items"

It can, but only if you select the proper settings.  You can also choose to not forbid your dead corpses.  Or to forbid your corpses but not the loot they drop.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 16, 2010, 02:52:39 pm »

I am quite aware; so be of the original context enlightened:
>Or you could just use the orders menu to forbid items dropped on death.
>Does that forbid corpses as well?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 16, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

I am quite aware; so be of the original context enlightened:
>Or you could just use the orders menu to forbid items dropped on death.
>Does that forbid corpses as well?

Forbid death items only forbids things like their pigtail socks-armor-weapons
Ther is a seperate option (right above forbid death items) tol forbid their corpses.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 16, 2010, 07:17:04 pm »

That's what I said. ._.
Tilesets

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 17, 2010, 01:20:30 am »

...UNTIL I figured out a useful trick: z, Stocks screen, go down to "corpses" and press Tab to change the mode to display individual corpses.  Then find "Urist McRedshirt's corpse" and press the key to zoom in on it.  Presto, right to the corpse!

WHAT.

I was looking at some engravings in my current fortress, when I noticed that the symbol of my civilization was an elf...

Well, I'v got goblin liaison.Though, elf liaison would've been stranger. And meaner.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 729