Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142392 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9495 on: November 21, 2015, 04:31:51 pm »

H2O=Death
Its science really
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: November 21, 2015, 10:21:32 pm »

Only death through the whole ordeal is an infant who died of thirst, not in the pool, and only after I got the underground pool drained.

I've now got a couple adequate swimmers in my fort, and fraction of my military now dabbles in the sport.  Going to have to do a little research before I reopen the pool.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: November 22, 2015, 02:34:54 am »

H2O=Death
Its science really

H + O2 + heat = FOOM == death.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: November 22, 2015, 12:21:58 pm »

Alternatively, FOOF == death.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: November 23, 2015, 10:52:39 pm »

Having my first real taste of the 'new' 2014 combat pathing.  Hasn't been an issue previously.  Now, the goblins climbed my outer wall (avoiding twenty-odd traps), and for even more fun, I'm watching my melee dwarves cling to the outside of my battlements.  They went up to the roof and are climbing down the side in an effort to more quickly engage the invaders in combat.

Next time I'm locking that hatch.

Edit: One of them was my Chief Medical Dwarf.  I need to watch that my nobles don't wind up getting drafted, I've gotta find a new CMD to patch him up.

//Torrenal
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:59:44 am by Torrenal »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: November 24, 2015, 07:09:45 am »

found adamantine, but my best dwarf and military worker decided it would be best to mine on block that I had canceled to be dug when I discovered magma, he ended up flooding a good chunk of the fort and killing 3/4 of my miners.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9501 on: November 25, 2015, 09:01:58 am »

Oh my god. I have played dwarf fortress since 2009. This morning I started a fort, only to realize that I had no mining picks. No building materials. No axes. This could have been salvaged, because a quirk in the game means that wooden training axes can be used to chop down trees, but I had no wood. So I abandoned the embark...

...only to realize five minutes later that i could have scuttled the damn wagon to get wood, make an axe, cut down some trees, burn the wood to make charcoal, built the smelter, and forge picks.

My boyfriend had lost his dorfs in the first five minutes due to not designating safe paths for them to walk, and they fell in the river and drowned. We give him loads of shit about this. Now he can tease me instead.   :P

"Can I 'axe' you something? Hahaha!'
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: November 25, 2015, 11:21:09 am »

You can actually survive even without that.

Either via trading, or, if you don't have enough to even do that, via collecting clay or sand or melting stuff to make blocks to build the depot (although these require magma that's accessible), or if you don't have enough to even do that, via killing traders (as they'll probably have enough logs / bars / blocks to start bootstrapping).
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: November 26, 2015, 11:44:16 pm »

Dwarven caravan arrives! Hooray! There's five caravans and a ton of single merchants, damn. Time to put all this stuff to use!

...then they all pack up and leave because I slaughtered a giant toad. A TAME giant toad. They freaked out about a TAME GIANT TOAD.

Never have I been so pissed off at these idiots than now. Calling bullshit and force-quitting. I want my stuff damnit.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: December 01, 2015, 05:39:51 am »

I remember learning why to forbid items on death. I broke into HFS only for my dwarfs to drop their gear trying to get better ones from the ones that died.
Then there was the time fighting undead, my dwarfs died because they got tired from fighting.
Once I embark in a great location though the world had an evil ocean around it and the rain from it killed my dwarfs on the non-mountain side when it started raining.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: December 01, 2015, 10:26:36 am »

I once built a crude evil frozen tundra fortress just under the surface layer of a beach at the 'south pole' of my world, it actually was my proudest embark until probably at least two years in, knowing little about the consequence, i built a room for my kitchen, and when wintertime came the weight of the snow above coupled with the snow that was already on the ground collapsed the ceiling of the area, destroying the workspaces and wiping out my adjacent food stores (i managed to hastily fix it after, but all my dwarves began starving and there was little chance of waiting out and buying out enough food to support them all from the next caravan so i abandoned it)

Lesson learnt.  ;D

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you ha
« Reply #9506 on: December 01, 2015, 10:46:00 am »

I once spent 1/2 an hour furiously trying to get my dorfs to smooth their glorious dining hall, then i realized it was built out of dirt. :-/
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: December 02, 2015, 01:55:27 am »

I just had one now.   Building a Tavern and decided to clear out an open space for the main meeting hall give it a sort of Balcony, so I started removing floors forgot to do it a row at a time,  had a collapse and killed my Tavern Keeper...

RIP Zefon Gigintobul

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: December 02, 2015, 11:15:05 am »

In the excitement of the new release yesterday, I rushed through everything to get to my embark. Did I forget anything? Surprisingly no. No, ten minutes after designating a twenty tall staircase straight into the earth, I stopped to wonder why the miners had only dug out the first two levels.

Five minutes of head scratching later I realized it was all downward stairs. *facepalm*

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: December 03, 2015, 02:16:10 pm »

>made my own custom embark profile
>pretty minimalistic
>start up fort, everything goes smoothly
>dug up some nice rooms, even my OCD is satisfied with this
>ok, time to setup some more advanced industry
>try to build metalsmith workshop
>THAT FUCKING FEELING WHEN I FORGOT TO ADD ANVIL TO EMBARK

Motherfucker ..... T____T

Is there a way to add one small anvil to my save ? Sweet jesus i dont want to start over AGAIN, its like my 10th fort in the last 72 hours..
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 729