Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141538 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8820 on: September 12, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

Ok, I didn't know about the glitch, and the "hit the wrong target explanation" sounded reasonable to me. I didn't read through the very long combat reports... That'll teach me to keep panicked dwarfs and military well separated...
May I suggest training your civilians for discipline?

It can be fairly easy, from what Im understanding.  a corpse here and a puppyfall there.  If you put the bodies in the intended break rooms it will also help keep them from slacking off and making friends.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Brenodor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:59 pm »

Had a nice fortress going...
Apparently i atomsmashed one of my legendary Swordsdwarves. Of course the one wearing an artifact weapon and breastplate. yay
She had killed two Invasions on her own...
I only noticed by the message that she has been missing for a while.
I'm sad  :(

Maybe i should start savescumming

Regards
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:27:42 pm by Brenodor »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: September 12, 2014, 02:18:18 pm »

Ugh... Miss-aligned a drawbridge trap... Just crushed a group of legendary warriors...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: September 12, 2014, 08:29:28 pm »

Spoiler: Fortress Thread Post (click to show/hide)
There are a couple in there:
  • Grass/Moss spreads more slowly from 34.11, so popping the cavern while sheep are at hungry and starving is too late
  • Embarked in desert so didn't bring axes, when I ran out of wood and hit a cavern with plants I had no way to get more wood
  • Obsidian swords take a log to make and I made three, guess how many traded logs were reserved for training axes
  • The dwarf civ has been destroyed for over 100 years, but I still got a dwarf caravan and now a (large) third migrant wave
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Brenodor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: September 14, 2014, 05:32:20 am »

well...
Today I decided to start a new Fortress. I found a very nice spot, had awesome dwarves (3 were mighty and/or agile and/or very slow to tire, another liked platinum and warhammers). Naturally I was totally excited to get this fortress started. 1.5 or 2 months (note months not seasons) in after I just started digging into the earth (no pick start just ore) -> Kobold Ambush! 12 friggin' Kobolds with daggers and stuffz. They ran straight up into my newly dug tunnel and butchered my dwarves within 3 seconds. Normally I appreciate Fun but this was even for DF a little bit too early to actually do anything about it.

So I guess I need now defenses from minute 1 on.

Anyway up and again

Regards
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:33:54 am by Brenodor »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: September 14, 2014, 05:43:01 am »

This was more of a win+facepalm- I had assigned most civilians minus the ten miners and one woodcutter to squads of mace, spear, and sword dwarves, all their metal being bronze, with shields being wood, legging, boots, gloves, cloaks, hoods, and secondary armor being leather, and a metal mail shirt and helm. So I set these guys up pretty fast, had tons of screw pumps constantly working to gain attributes, and a pet-innaccesible hallway between the food and booze stickpile covered in 4 training spear traps going on and off constantly. Everything worked well, until a migrant wave of ten fresh dwarves showed up. Assigned these guys to their own squad, and they went into a naked rage a month into their service, as I forgot to make them armor too. Then, a few grizzlies near their area just ripped them apart in seconds, so nothing was really wasted. Just one missing migrant wave, no one ever saw. Now, to get those guys making armor again...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: September 15, 2014, 07:29:53 pm »

I tapped into a river from below it for a new well, and somehow instantly killed my miner/expedition leader/bookkeeper digging it out.  I cannot get his body or gear out without a universe of trouble so I just open the main floodgate and continue.  I forgot that the well was way below the river and now the nice well room I created is flooded entirely.  Quickly forbidding the doors saved the rest of the fortress.

I was able to recover by simply creating a new well above the old well and treating the old room as a big cistern.

The miner DID become a ghost but an engraved slab cured me of that and his body was never recovered.

The shame is that prior to this stupidity this fortress was a model of success and efficiency!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: September 16, 2014, 06:46:47 am »

Note to Self:

Build a well before designating a hospital.
Otherwise, dwarves will plop down in hospital beds to heal minor bruises from some fisticuffs or whatever, and consequently dehydrate to death because nobody bothers to carry them water all the way from the river.  ::)

Also, it's a good idea to designate at least one dwarf as a nurse with only the "feed patients and prisoners", "food hauling", and "water hauling" labors enabled, if you intend your war heroes to survive their trip to the VA clinic...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: September 16, 2014, 02:46:25 pm »

Well, I was reading this thread, and noticed someone boasting about his dwarf, who was great at a bunch of skills, including military and social skills. Basically, Urist McObviousvampire. *sigh*

I have also groaned at my dwarves cruelty towards each other - I got one dwarf carving another surrounded by moon snails (which he hated), looking "terrified."  ::)

That world's history was weird. There was 3-4 statues/engravings of giant lions attacking humans/elves. Pity I wouldn't have that on my current world, as it only has a 5 year history - only way I could ensure survival of the majority of civs.

Oh, and I once was panicking because the letter keys would not respond in DF - it was a while later that I realized that I was in CAPS LOCK.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: September 16, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »

Oh, and I once was panicking because the letter keys would not respond in DF - it was a while later that I realized that I was in CAPS LOCK.

I wouldn't feel too bad about that, I do this at least once a week.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: September 16, 2014, 11:33:03 pm »

Dug down through an aquifer thanks to a very handily placed vein of Magnetite.  Figured I'd mine out the portions of it that weren't damp.  Designations somehow screwed up and created a flood.

Unfortunately, I didn't think ahead far enough to actually dig all the way to the cavern as a drain.  So, I figured I could salvage it by building a wall where the flood was coming in.

I end up building the wall in the wrong spot and the shaft completely floods, chasing out my workers.

Well, I'm no stranger to aquifer piercing, I've done it dozens of times, so I figure I can drill down through it in another spot and come up from below, drain out the flood and finish the wall.  But, during my pierce I make the mistake of channeling the wrong spots creating a setup where I can't actually pierce.  Fabulous.

Undaunted I try again, this time my setup is correct, but my execution is off and I actually dig up/down stairs BEFORE I place the hatch cover.  So, another failed pierce.

I try a third piercing.  This time my execution is flawless and I start getting my drain set up.  Then I get the message that a dwarf has been found dead.  I go back up to the top, and find that an alligator had wandered into my fort, become enraged, and killed everyone.  He proceeds to sit in my meeting area and wander in a slow circle.  Since I was down to only one dwarf I figured I'd just leave the meeting area up and see if Urist McMiner can land a lucky shot.

He didn't.

Time to roll up another fortress.

Midboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: September 18, 2014, 10:55:45 pm »

Let's use the dump designation on all these stones in my hospital.

Why does my hospital no longer have thread, splints, crutches, powder, and buckets?

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: September 19, 2014, 11:05:22 am »

Troglodytes are flinging themselves off mushrooms and breaking limbs or drowning in the underground lake. I have no idea why, but I assume it's some kind of protest against my imperialist policies on their former territory. Good for them.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: September 19, 2014, 11:20:04 am »

My children feel the need to run out to not open depot and try to grab food when its forbidden.  Well, the very borders arent, so I guess . . .

They served as good bait for the zombies, who we opened the deopt to attract.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: September 21, 2014, 10:59:28 am »

Note to self:

Do NOT allow a legendary woodcrafter to make the fort's supply of wooden practice bolts.

Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 729