Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141392 times)

poisoned_salami

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling RAWsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8115 on: November 04, 2013, 07:00:25 pm »

But, for some reason, it had trapped NO LESS THAN 20 DWARVES in the reservoir. (No clue why they were there)
Maybe they were on break? (Do you use meeting zones? My dwarves used to wander to all sorts of places they shouldn't have been before I started using them.)
Yes, I have a meeting zone in my dining room. (Un?)fortunately nobody had died, at least in that section of the project, so we're still just as overpopulated as before.
I did figure out why they were there, though. I had designated the miner and baby corpses to be dumped outside so we could recover them for later burying. oops.
Current Fortress: Renownspear

Greyhoundfd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: November 04, 2013, 07:23:25 pm »

I embarked, finally got a stable fortress with a decent food supply and everything. It had taken me a whole day between everything else. I decide to start my metalworking industry so I can start trading, and realize I brought no anvils. I also had nothing to trade for one, and then my fortress was attacked by centaurs and everyone died.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: November 04, 2013, 08:18:30 pm »

You got an attack along with the first caravan? Harsh.

I believe greaves cover the lower leg, how about adding pants?
Greaves are pants, being listed in items_pants.txt.

You can also confirm their coverage by going into the arena and spawning two unskilled units, both on the same side and with one wearing only greaves. Take control of the greaveless unit and punch the other in the lower body / upper leg until you get a deflection message.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: November 07, 2013, 06:22:51 pm »

Digging into a river during the winter (THROUGH my fortress), then forgetting to build a wall again to keep the water in the brook. I didn't notice until I got spammed the "Urist McHauler cancels (whatever): Dangerous terrain." Of course, at the same time, I also figured out that bauxite floodgates with rhyolite mechanisms work great! Until you open them, that is. At that point, my fortress was getting flooded with two liquids from opposite ends. I thought that deserved a facepalm with both hands at once.

Guilty...only on the river end, though.

Also, assigning a military squad to kill a fire-breathing FB without giving them shields? Using napalm on my entire fortress wouldn't have been more effective... especially with multiple booze stockpiles which just so happen to be beside the breach the thing came through.

Operation Claim the Depths:Failed
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: November 07, 2013, 07:44:25 pm »

Having managed the classic single-pick challenge on a flat tundra, I recalled reading somewhere (Reddit, maybe?) that the same challenge would be even harder on a mountainous, forested region - and boy, was it!  Especially when I forget to check just how mountainous the area is. 

And embark directly on a narrow cliff-face.  With a broken wagon. 

And not a log to be seen.

GGGGGGAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

(Side note: I'm still quite proud that we managed to survive as long as we did - 3 1/2 seasons, without a single bed among us, resting our heads against dolomite statues, on the cold alunite floors.)
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:28 pm »

Having managed the classic single-pick challenge on a flat tundra, I recalled reading somewhere (Reddit, maybe?) that the same challenge would be even harder on a mountainous, forested region - and boy, was it!  Especially when I forget to check just how mountainous the area is. 

And embark directly on a narrow cliff-face.  With a broken wagon. 

And not a log to be seen.

GGGGGGAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

(Side note: I'm still quite proud that we managed to survive as long as we did - 3 1/2 seasons, without a single bed among us, resting our heads against dolomite statues, on the cold alunite floors.)

Why did you not just make some stone crafts and trade for wood? And axes?

Wait, that's part of the challenge, not trading, isn't it...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: November 07, 2013, 10:01:01 pm »

Why did you not just make some stone crafts and trade for wood? And axes?

Wait, that's part of the challenge, not trading, isn't it...

Well, it's more that traders don't seem to be well-suited to running a gauntlet of zombie cougars, eagles, and migrants.  Go figure.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: November 10, 2013, 01:24:40 pm »

I decided I would drain the creek down three z-levels into a pool so that I could have a well for my hospital. I completely forgot about water pressure, so now the hospital is full of water, and I don't have any magma to seal off the pool from the creek.

So...new hospital time!
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

DubDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: November 10, 2013, 06:01:44 pm »

When a dwarf is being chased by a goblin, runs straight at the entrance of your fort and runs right past and then gets killed, then another dwarf runs out of the dwarf to pick up his remains only to get killed by the goblin, and so on so forth.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: November 10, 2013, 07:54:25 pm »

When a dwarf is being chased by a goblin, runs straight at the entrance of your fort and runs right past and then gets killed, then another dwarf runs out of the dwarf to pick up his remains only to get killed by the goblin, and so on so forth.
Even better when you've got about 5 weapon traps loaded and ready in there that would've saved the dwarf and they run right past anyway....

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: November 13, 2013, 08:50:49 am »

I had multiple facepalms streaming from the same incident over the last couple days; it all started with my first dragon showed up on the map.  He ran around torching a kitten who had wandered out into the forest, burning down most of the vegetation in that vicinity, until the kitten was no more and then he pathed towards my fortress and into a cage trap.

I've got a pretty reasonable walled river setup, and a mass-pit drowning chamber adjacent to the river had been my main source of goblin disposal.  Now that I had a dragon (who had just demonstrated his awesome firebreath to me) I decided to drain and deepen the drowning champer several z-levels, create a 3x3 block of fortifications (with the center block removed) and drop the dragon into the middle.  My thought was firebreath is more painful than drowning and also burns the refuse, so I no longer need to drain and refill my chamber to prevent a heinous buildup of trash+miasma.

Facepalm #1:  Dragonfire is really, really easy to block.  Only the weak fleshy vermin that wander into traps (and the occassional 'misplaced' kitten) ever die by fire in my pits.  Now I've got a dragon thoroughly protected that I don't know how to get rid of (short of having marksdwarves with the ability to shoot through fortifications from range.)

My new solution: carve fortifications into the area around the death pit, so my marksdwarves can practice shooting goblins and the dragon can burn up all the fallen wooden bolts.  Eventually they should get talented enough to shoot through fortifications from range.  Bonus points because the markswarves randomly get hit by dragonfire (which they also block and train up shield skill.)  Previously my marksdwarves were spending every other month on training (danger room) and off duty (for archery targets.)

Facepalm #2:  Markswarves carry alcohol.  When they go off duty, they turn into civillians, and drop their alcohol+food where they stand.  Even if that's next to a fortification receiving regular bouts of dragonfire.  With a little unfortunate timing, alcohol boils and explodes, thus killing the would-be Marksdwarves.

In further retrospect, I believe I can send my marksdwarves directly into the death room and just have them shoot the dragon from two square away; they should block the dragonfire long enough to take her out.  Alternatively, I should be able to drop a bunch of stones through the dragon's entry pit onto her head until there's nothing left but a big pile of dragon goo, then deconstruct the forts.  I am anticipating some Facepalm #3 as a result.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: November 13, 2013, 08:58:30 am »

Dragonfire can't cross z levels (or at least can't be aimed up or down z levels). so you're more likely to get cancel spam.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: November 13, 2013, 11:05:42 am »

How about undermining the area around the dragon and causing it to fall down a level or two? That at the very least ought to eliminate the fortifications, and at the very best, kill it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: November 13, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »

Well, he's got the dragon contained and if he doesn't have a hatch cover on the hole that he dumped the dragon through, he can make a few tunnels (or a stairway) up a few z levels to make a channeled tunnel that the dwarves can drop rocks (or whatever else really) through.

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »

I dropped the dragon from the surface level w/ a hatch.  This was the central of 12 hatches used for pitting.
1z below surface = old drowning pit w/ channels dug underneath the set of 12 hatches (for mass pitting)
2z below surface = completely channeled
3z below surface = dragon chamber ~8x12.  smoothed stone walls, down staircase in corner.
4z below surface = dug out room same shape as drowning chamber w/ up staircase closed off by drawbridge & constructed walls.  also contains lever for drawbridge & wooden bolt stockpile for faster refills.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 729