Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142466 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7905 on: August 17, 2013, 06:53:13 pm »

I was starting an embark on a terrifying tundra with the goal of building an aboveground fortress regardless of the zombies or horrible clouds.

I spent 30 minutes painstakingly preparing to embark, after starting with a completely blank template. After embarking I realized I forgot the picks.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete restart mode engaged.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

thoushaltcallmelars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: August 18, 2013, 01:12:12 am »

What do you do when you have an entire (50x50) stone stockpile full of dolomite, hematite, magnetite, and limonite, and enough charcoal to make Elves bawl their eyes out?

You spam-craft steel, right? Right?
Yeah, someone invent a time machine and tell me that when I was making this fortress.

You see, I didn't realize that "Dolomite = Flux Stone" and the implications thereof - I could've had full suits of steel armor within the first year. Of course, I realized it real quick-like when my military got squashed by Lashers three months before a siege. I'm supposed to outfit and train a new military that fast... how, again?

Needless to say:
thoushaltcallmelars cancels Fortress Mode; Raging at his own stupidity and lack of planning ahead.
Overseer Lars cancels Fortress Mode; Raging at his own stupidity.

Suffice to say, I shall forever associate all dyers with Bomrek Romekas, The Dyer, who slew four dwarves (and wounded a speardwarf) and a wardog while alive, without weapons, armor, or even clothing, before rising from the dead to rip three dwarves' limbs off. Wasn't even combat with the ghost, just "<ghost> batters <dwarf>" and I look and there's a leg, a sock, and a pool of blood.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: August 18, 2013, 10:05:49 am »

I actually had a minor facepalm moment with stockpiles. I had been planting some pigtail to get a cloth industry started up, but I didn't realize that I had not set up a stockpile to accept the pigtail, so I had lost some of it, but I didn't lose all of it, so it's not too bad.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: August 18, 2013, 02:47:19 pm »

A goblin ambush popped up just outside the gates, where I had about 15 War Dog's stationed. About a minute later those dogs are all dead, but they happened to startle the goblins enough to scare them off.

I open things up and a few dwarves start collecting everything only to have a Were-Scorpion pop up right next to a few of them. Thinking my three Spear Dwarves in full steel and decently trained would be enough I quickly had them rush out to try and save those outside.

Farmer stabbed in the head with it's stinger first hit.

Hauler punched for a broken arm, then kicked in the chest and propelled 20 tiles away.

My military reach it, I cross my fingers. It grabs and rips out the back teeth of my Commander before stabbing him in the face, breaks the leg of another, and stabs the last in the gut only to have him transform immediately and finish off his friend. He then kills the original Were, and rips the Hauler apart before turning back into a Dwarf and looking around confused.

I think I'll just let my cage traps deal with were-beasts from now on...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: August 18, 2013, 06:34:24 pm »

Aren't werebeasts trap immune?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: August 18, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »

Yes
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: August 18, 2013, 08:42:45 pm »

I was testing the production using a drop chute from the sand collection point when suddenly...

DAMMIT! XD *immediately stops all sand and glass production and drop chute usage* Killed one of my dwarves (13 z level drop from collection point) and broke the leg of my broker/manager who somehow managed to dodge two tiles away.

So much for the drop chute........

Also, I am in no way supersitious, it would have been deadly at 12 or 14 z levels.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:46:36 pm by smjjames »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: August 18, 2013, 11:34:31 pm »

I was testing the production using a drop chute from the sand collection point when suddenly...
DAMMIT! XD *immediately stops all sand and glass production and drop chute usage* Killed one of my dwarves (13 z level drop from collection point) and broke the leg of my broker/manager who somehow managed to dodge two tiles away.

So much for the drop chute........

Also, I am in no way supersitious, it would have been deadly at 12 or 14 z levels.

In the future, use a hatch cover 1 level above the bottom.  Then just cycle it every time you run out of sand.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tovical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: August 19, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »

I went to dig a moat and realized I could not because I had (for a third time, no less) carved out rooms on the level where my moat needed to be.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: August 21, 2013, 10:03:50 am »

Not in the game, but I think it still counts:
Uploaded a new Macnewbie pack to dffd.wimbli.com from a super slow connection, finished editing the descriptions, copied about 10 links, etc. Then clicked delete listing by mistake.

-SLAM-
-SLAM-
-SLAM-

-facedesk-

edit: of course I did it again. Third time the charm...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:43:52 am by fricy »

Yesirn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: August 21, 2013, 04:26:45 pm »

Sent out 8 military dwarves ( all of them mostly untrained ) to kill a goblin theif.

The goblin theif parried my dwarfs attack and counter attacked and instantly killed him took the leg off of another and broke anothers leg.

Goblin theif too strong.

Yesirn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: August 21, 2013, 04:32:41 pm »

And then an ambush comes.

*whole military dead*

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: August 22, 2013, 07:44:06 am »

No, you can't stockpile inorganic materials that are just tagged as [BONE].

*facedesk*

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:47 am »

On my current map I started a massive defensive project consisting of walled farms and pastures, a trap filled courtyard, and an execution shaft.  Problems that have occurred:

After completely finishing the project, siege comes and I realize I left 3 up ramps to one section of wall, 40 goblins rush in.

After surviving said siege, I open the gates, and let out my dwarves to collect dead and fix the stupid ramp.  An ambush comes while they collect the dead and no less than 10 civvies and 10 militia are slaughtered by three goblin crossbowmen. Three crossbowmen do more damage than a 40 goblin siege.

When dumping the caged goblins into the execution pit I forget to close the bridge at the bottom, and find out that a 20 z level fall does not kill most of them.  I can't dig deeper yet, because the caverns one z level below have two forgotten beasts running around.

I think the end goal will be to drop the shaft into the FB pits and let the gobbos and FBs sort out their issues while I get to work finding the magma.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: August 22, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »

Embark with a hunter who has a copper crossbow and 20 copper crossbow bolts. He proceeds to attack some wildlife (I don't remember the kind, but it was nothing dangerous)

He proceeds to unload all 20 crossbow bolts into the beast wounding it to hell but failing to kill it. Cancels job due to running out of bolts. Beastie bleeds to death and dies, but rots before anyone comes to get it.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 729