Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142436 times)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7890 on: August 14, 2013, 08:28:11 pm »

I gave goblins special reactions so that they'd have access to adamantine by default, to increase difficulty. The first siege that comes? 100% Goblin Macemen.

This is perhaps one of the best ones in the thread: it's not a noob mistake, it's not even a mistake, it's just an unforeseen ironic consequence.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:26 pm »

imagine the looks on a goblin's face when they realized that their incredibly expensive wiffle bats is doing no damage whatsoever
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »

Started up a tiny embark with a little hill. Two seasons in, I've hit gold and platinum. We'll see where it goes from there.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: August 16, 2013, 04:02:21 am »

Decided to take on someone's comment about the 'single pick challenge'.  So, I buy and tinker with Fraps to get it working, figure out how to use Windows Movie Maker, and generally screw around a bit finally making myself a YouTube channel to boot.

So, after a few false starts and generally learning the priority order of starting with zilch, I get a decent run going and FINALLY have an embark which is undead terrifying, instead of just random rainstorms of plague across the landscape.  It's even got an undead yeti I've nicknamed the abominable snowman who's haranguing all migrants.

So, what do I do?  I activate FRAPS in the wrong damned window and proceed to record my voice and game for an hour while I record a screen holding the FRAPS movie folder...... and a clock.  That's it.

*headdesk*headdesk*headdesk*

We'll try this again over the weekend... right after I get this headshaped dent out of my keyboard.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: August 16, 2013, 06:42:49 am »

apparently forgotten beast thrips are immune to webs, since one got blasted with a ton of webs on cage trap yet with no effect.

it then used fire blast on my spider.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #7895 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36:26 pm »

Reading the legends today I found out why my solo dwarf died, despite being sealed away in the fortress with no access to the outside world and having plenty of food, beer, and being escatically happy.

She was killed by a human zombie.  How it got in I have no idea, must have teleported.  No human undead were inside the walls, and no human corpses either.  In fact, the only undead inside the fort were the occasional ghost.  I wasn't paying attention at the time, or I could have seen what was going on.  My next four attempts to retake the fort have failed for various reasons, and while I like the fort, I think that its time to give up.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: August 16, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »

I have bought some unusual pets from caravan of "Poor Elf's second hand clothes", and first one didn't last for ONE YEAR and died of OLD AGE.
Was it a giant bug? Those have incredibly short lifespans.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #7897 on: August 16, 2013, 09:15:18 pm »

Another fun facepalm due to fortress reclaiming...

One reclaimed fort has an honor guard of freindly goblins....the same goblins who sieged the place and killed every last dwarf in the stronghold.

Another reclaimed fort has three very friendly necromancers....but their hordes of undead are still hostile and sneaking around.

I'd hate this game if I didn't love it so much

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: August 17, 2013, 05:33:08 am »

apparently fire does not destroy trees.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: August 17, 2013, 05:54:27 am »

I have bought some unusual pets from caravan of "Poor Elf's second hand clothes", and first one didn't last for ONE YEAR and died of OLD AGE. Beware, elves are not honest traders!

Well, tigers lions bears oh my don't last well on elven tofu.  The shock to coming back to real food at the hands of dwarves "saving" them can sometimes be too much for their weakened bodies.

Elves are cannibals. I seriously doubt they'd feed their animals plants.

Vomitmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: August 17, 2013, 07:57:17 am »

Only face palm moments I've had so far is being unable to keep my dwarfs from dieing of thirst, every time. :T I can't figure out how to keep them from doing that.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: August 17, 2013, 08:56:46 am »

The Answer, of course, is MOAR BEER.

Go to stocks menu (z), go to kitchen screen, disable the cook option on Plump helmets and cave wheat (and whatever else makes alcohol, I forget). Build a still, have it (b)rew drink on repeat. Buy all the alcohol the caravans offer Sewer brew, Swamp Whiskey, Longland wine, all of it.

Vomitmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: August 17, 2013, 10:57:02 am »

The Answer, of course, is MOAR BEER.

Go to stocks menu (z), go to kitchen screen, disable the cook option on Plump helmets and cave wheat (and whatever else makes alcohol, I forget). Build a still, have it (b)rew drink on repeat. Buy all the alcohol the caravans offer Sewer brew, Swamp Whiskey, Longland wine, all of it.

I did! I had three stills running around the clock, PEOPLE STILL DIED OF THIRST

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: August 17, 2013, 11:39:35 am »

Secure some water at floor level. More than one dwarf at a time can use an open water tile, and dwarves don't deplete the water when they drink it.

In theory you could sustain a fortress forever on half a dozen buckets of water taken from a murky pool, though the dwarves will hold out long enough to get thirsty and be unhappy with the water quality. Pumping the stagnant water from the collection pit to a 2-deep 1x1 pit will clean the water and keep the mud out of the dwarves' reach.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Vomitmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: August 17, 2013, 05:18:33 pm »

Secure some water at floor level. More than one dwarf at a time can use an open water tile, and dwarves don't deplete the water when they drink it.

In theory you could sustain a fortress forever on half a dozen buckets of water taken from a murky pool, though the dwarves will hold out long enough to get thirsty and be unhappy with the water quality. Pumping the stagnant water from the collection pit to a 2-deep 1x1 pit will clean the water and keep the mud out of the dwarves' reach.

Hm, time to start trying to embark with underground rivers!
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 729