Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141983 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7845 on: July 24, 2013, 11:35:09 pm »

Signed up just to post this:
I embarked with a river, and said river suddenly led to empty space; a waterfall.
"Wonder how tall it i- ohmygosh."
It's a 6 z-level drop.
Fun will surely ensue.
Black lives matter.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: July 24, 2013, 11:38:35 pm »

I embarked with a river, and said river suddenly led to empty space; a waterfall.
It's a 6 z-level drop.
Fun will surely ensue.

Heh. I had an embark with on the old version of the fallout mod. Took me so long to figure out what those deaths were.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: July 26, 2013, 09:58:07 pm »

When I thougt that Bronze Colossus could destroy walls, and I sent a nicely equipped group of dwarves to their deaths trying to defend it, then forgetting to close the drawbridge and letting it in.
Then, accidentally atom-smashing my party leader/master miner/stonecrafter/trader/warrior and making an elven trader to fall of it, killing him and pissing off his kind, making a war at me... everything for pulling a lever trying to make disappear some crap... fun is coming in the form of pointy-eared hippies...
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: July 26, 2013, 10:06:00 pm »

It's a 6 z-level drop.
Fun will surely ensue.

My last fort had two waterfalls both about 30 z-levels tall.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: July 27, 2013, 12:19:43 am »

Did fun ensue?
Black lives matter.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: July 27, 2013, 02:28:32 am »

I played for about 70 ingame years until FPS death.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: July 28, 2013, 01:18:51 am »

I called upon my non-training archer posse to put down a murderous dingo (mechanic was attacked and, with dwarven reflexes, jammed her baby into the blender - and got 'unhappy' about the result). I got a bit annoyed about their insanely slow response time - two didn't show up but instead went on a week-long 'pickup equipment' quest.

After fuming a bit, it dawned on me that i might check their active skills. Yep, they were both miners. I freed them of their military assignment, i need their mining expertise.

Hitti-Litti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: July 28, 2013, 06:52:15 pm »

Dodók the legendary armorsmith, I have a question for you. When you were pitting that disarmed goblin and saw that a siege of 80 invaders was coming, why did you decide to not let the goblin go but instead slowly wandered with him to the most intense battleground? Needless to say that you had not put your armor on but only wore your ordinary clothing.

No, I'm not going to bury you in a nice tomb, 1x1 room with a shale coffin is good enough for you.

BTW, your baby survived despite getting hit by a bolt or two and being wrestled by a troll. He's a champ. You were not.

chillas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: July 31, 2013, 07:33:42 am »

I had set up a quantum stockpile near my workshops, to deal with all the excess stone lying around.

A bit later I decided to start work on my grand hall, near the workshops.  I started by digging a couple of down ramps, which converged into a raised platform and then descended into the great hall, so the dwarves could see the entire hall in all its glory as they entered.

Good enough, but a while later I noticed my quantum stockpile was missing.  It turned out that I'd built the first down ramp right next to it, so the dwarves were pitching the stones down the ramp.  Okay, fine, I know where everything is now, I'll fix it and move it later.

Not long after I receive a message that my legendary miner has been killed by flying debris.

What?

I zoom and find him dead at the base of the ramp.  Apparently he'd been standing there at the exact moment someone else had tossed a stone down.

Moral of the story - cheat more carefully next time.  ;)

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: July 31, 2013, 02:53:36 pm »

Built a mist generator and the energy generated by my dwarven reactor is short 2. I miscalculated. A slight change in the design of the power train made it work, but my perfectionism took a hit.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:37 am »

After happily capturing a Forgotten Beast in a cage trap that I had painstakingly gotten webbed, I focused my work on properly weaponizing it's poisonous gas. Half a year later I see a line of dwarves flooding to where I keep caged prisoners and wondered what they could be doing. I then saw the corpse of my Leg +15 Lasher in one of the cages where he apparently died of thirst...

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: August 01, 2013, 09:26:08 am »

I've just realized non-soil boimes don't give a fck any vegetation on muddy floors on any zlevel.
Finis sanctificat media.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: August 01, 2013, 10:24:24 am »

I pulled a classic one yesterday  8)
The river froze, so I dug out the ice above the 10-15z waterfall and installed some nice floodgates so I can shut off the mist and hopefully save some framerate. I built these golden beauties just downstream from the channel I dug for my wells  ::). I am glad I had linked the gates to a lever in time  :P

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: August 01, 2013, 11:30:28 pm »

Double facepalm.

First, to explore the caverns, I've been smoothing/fortification carving the walls.  When FBs would get in, I couldn't figure out how.... because, ya dorf, flyers FLY... over fortifications.

Next, while exploring said caverns, I've been running dig lines to nearby the 'unknown' area on a 5x5 embark, not really paying attention to how said lines were pathing.  Out of curiousity (and impatience, I've been waiting on a particular project to get dug out) I followed a miner heading towards where the next exploration line was being dug.

And followed....

and followed...

and... SERIOUSLY?!

This poor dorf pathed over 600 - 700 squares to go dig this thing out.  I've created my own labrynth.  The 2nd cavern layer spans 50 z levels and is a meandering mess of a cave.  At one point he went through a line over a cavern, dropped down the stairs on the other side, pathed back through under the same cavern, then up and over another one...  It's a pretzel.

Whoops.  Guess I'll run a few more 'main lines' if I do any more poking.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: August 03, 2013, 01:51:15 am »

Annnd, another one, but in my defense I'm not usually so specific about uniforms.

So, you know when you make cloth/leather shoes , you make them in pairs?

Yeah, you don't with metal high boots.  Dang near started a riot over naked hairy feet.
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 729