Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141949 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7695 on: May 22, 2013, 11:34:24 pm »

It takes less time in ticks to build constructions with blocks than raw materials. This is good for situations like piercing aquifers using the double slit method, where there's constantly water flowing and potentially (and inevitably) causing cancellations.

The less time it takes to build a wood wall, the less cancellations, and the less the player has to unsuspend or redesignate the wall to be built, which makes piercing aquifers slightly less painful.

Otherwise I guess it's just for the satisfaction of knowing that every tile of that pure green glass tower megaproject you built is built from blocks.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: May 23, 2013, 02:52:45 am »

Blocks also look different in stonesense. (I think. Stones definitely, wood maybe)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: May 23, 2013, 11:59:48 am »

And blocks are more valuable than raw material.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: May 23, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »

I gave all my gold and silver to traders. :'( :'( :'(
Enough said

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: May 23, 2013, 07:41:26 pm »

I tried to solidify magma by designating it as a pond zone to throw water in.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:22 pm »

You can solidify a tile of magma by pouring a bucketful of water on it, so long as the water travels through a full z-level on the way down. Nothing silly at all about the core concept (for a dwarf).

every tile of that pure green glass tower megaproject you built is built from blocks.
What other building material can you make from glass?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: May 25, 2013, 05:15:53 am »

Once upon a time I decided to chain hostiles up and send my military dwarves to fight them, hoping that this would make them better soldiers.

Four recruits entered the stage and engaged chained goblin thief. They all lost their sword hands. Also I tried to dispose of caged werebeast through the same fight (I feared as it was a dwarf in natural form, I may cause loyalty cascade). One of my soldiers lost both hands. But that wasn't the faceplam part. Heavy bleeding he got stuck in unsolvable conundrum: on one hand, he's covered in filth and blood. On other, he doesn't have hands to carry soap to the well. So he kept circling around bar of soap, with task "Clean self" until he bled to death.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: May 25, 2013, 09:29:35 am »

I got a glorious wave of skilled metalcrafters and peasants with great ability in swordsdwarfing. They would have done great things at Crowcaverns...had they arrived at any time other than in the middle of an elf ambush. Their destinies then were shortened from "legends of history" to "pincushions".

None of them even managed to beat my horse in total self-defense kills, either :(
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

OhGodSpidersNo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: May 25, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »

Rejoicing when a dwarven caravan filled to the brim with food and alcohol arrives to your starving fortress right on the eve of a tantrum spiral, then bungling the deal because you got greedy with the profit margin.

I made a good roleplay decision to seal the caravan in, and set my entire fortress upon them in a desperate bid for survival. They were all slaughtered by the caravan guard.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: May 25, 2013, 04:44:43 pm »

Rejoicing when a dwarven caravan filled to the brim with food and alcohol arrives to your starving fortress right on the eve of a tantrum spiral, then bungling the deal because you got greedy with the profit margin.

I made a good roleplay decision to seal the caravan in, and set my entire fortress upon them in a desperate bid for survival. They were all slaughtered by the caravan guard.

Next time, build a device to kill caravans without risk of retaliation or loyalty cascade. For example, drop the ceiling on them.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: May 25, 2013, 06:04:02 pm »

Or a drowning chamber. Multiple uses with a drowning chamber.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: May 25, 2013, 06:58:40 pm »

BTW, what to do with prisoners of war? Using them as practice for militia can go horribly wrong horribly quickly, as gobbos seem to all have high wresting and dodging skills. I've got a volcano I can (and have) pit them into, but that seems a bit of a waste.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: May 25, 2013, 07:08:41 pm »

Marksdwarves. Have a bridge that breaks los  when you aren't using it though.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: May 25, 2013, 07:15:25 pm »

Wouldn't an archery range be more efficient? With that, I could have practice even when there are no prisoners. Unless there's a way to make sure the prisoner never dies.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: May 25, 2013, 07:26:15 pm »

In my experience dwarves neglect archery ranges. They can't ignore the naked goblin chained up down the hallway.
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 729