Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141675 times)

MouseParade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7635 on: April 25, 2013, 08:18:55 pm »

A recent oversight by myself recently was while making a protective floor over a magma tube I discovered deep down in the earth, I realized (too late) that one tile of the floor had been suspended in the making due to a burrow restriction from an ambush that happened a while ago, the single tile was never constructed.

I noticed the red announcement scroll by and realized a forgotten beast was scaring away all of my furnace operators... oops...

had the tile been constructed the flying three eyed albatross wouldn't have gotten through.
The resulting battle led three of my legendary furnace operators to make cleverly timed dodges from the attacks of the beast right into the magma of the tube. bummer...

Smarmet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: April 26, 2013, 08:29:16 pm »

I just lost an early fortress trying to build my well. I built a new lever, and then a floodgate to control the channel to the river. Went back to my lever, added a connect to floodgate job and then pull the lever. Simple enough, except I went back to the lever that controlled my wagon gate, and ended up pathing all my dwarves through the neighboring minecart grinder as they dragged in supplies from outside.

On the plus side, I have now successfully tested a minecart grinder.

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: April 26, 2013, 10:56:51 pm »

My medical system is so bad that my resident badass actually managed to heal from two broken legs, a missing foot and a torn eye before anyone had even gotten around to taking him to the hospital. He then proceeded to dismantle the largest siege I have seen, with 97 goblins, almost on his own.

I really need to fix that hospital ::)
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

Bluebreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: April 26, 2013, 11:44:40 pm »

after months of search for the vampire, he decides to feast on a wounded soldier in the hospital in front of my eyes...

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: April 27, 2013, 06:51:47 am »

Wanted to direct water from the river to my fortress, dug out the long corridor, channeled out 2 z-levels, now there's open space on the same z-level as the river.
What the hell was I even trying to do. I think I'm an idiot.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: April 27, 2013, 09:36:01 am »

Embarked on a river with a waterfall, the thought process being "Oh cool, cliffside villas for all!"

I was expecting the usual 5-6 z levels.  Waterfall is 36 z-levels tall.  I kid you not.  My.... my poor FPS...  On the less facepalmy side, cliffside villas for all 200 dwarves, not just the nobles and important ones like I had planned on!

Actually, it's doing fine for now, although I forsee problems in the future.  Suspect I'll have to dam it at some point.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: April 27, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »

Turkeys?

I had a cave-in involving nothing but sand. There were 5-ish dwarves in the one-wide corridor, with a single turkey in the front square. The turkey apparantly took the entirety of the force of the cave in, since the dwarves were unharmed even though they were enveloped by the dust-wave.

This turkey ended up with 2 broken wings, its spine broken, multiple lacerations, and NO BEAK. That's right, it literally had its beak sandblasted from its face. For it's heroic actions, it was left in a pool of its own blood to eventually suffocate. Then it got chucked in the garbage chute.

Don't talk to me about tragic turkeys.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: April 27, 2013, 02:56:56 pm »

i once had a forgotten beast made of melanite with toxic fumes that causes numbness and I'm assuming necrosis. basically on his way to my fortress, he killed like 5 of my dwarves, two of them children before having an epic showdown with a child. this child managed to survive a full MONTH with that bastard, because the beast only thought to choke his throat. the syndrome didn't even affect it. i didn't see any of the necrosis kick in.

when i sent my military down there to kill it, FOUR of my guys got necrosis. life's just not fair.

then i save scummed and got a fleshy crocodile that can shoot webs. (shot to death by marksdwarves).
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: April 28, 2013, 07:14:14 pm »

Turkeys?

I had a cave-in involving nothing but sand. There were 5-ish dwarves in the one-wide corridor, with a single turkey in the front square. The turkey apparantly took the entirety of the force of the cave in, since the dwarves were unharmed even though they were enveloped by the dust-wave.

This turkey ended up with 2 broken wings, its spine broken, multiple lacerations, and NO BEAK. That's right, it literally had its beak sandblasted from its face. For it's heroic actions, it was left in a pool of its own blood to eventually suffocate. Then it got chucked in the garbage chute.

Don't talk to me about tragic turkeys.

I wonder how long it will take Toady to make Sand non self supporting.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:01 pm »

That awful moment I realized that I could make temporary workshops on the surface until I got my underground work areas set up. So much struggling at the start of a mountain fort that could have been avoided.

Also when I found out how to mass dump items.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: April 29, 2013, 06:54:29 am »

I fell in love with an underground water storage to fuel my wells. The first time I flooded my entire fortress, because I did not think of the water pressure. Then after I had cleaned up, i forgot to close the floodgates and flooded everything again. Today I dug out the first well in my new forress. Suddenly there was water and blood everywhere. I think I should consider a saver method :D
But for a start I build a drainage at the bottom of my staircase :D

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: April 29, 2013, 01:29:33 pm »

Wells tend to cause blood to pool around them as people bathe at them.

Hm... that'd make an interesting picture.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:43 pm »

I built a nice long exterior wall with a long trap corridor plus a drawbridge & moat in case of sieges...and then the goblins came in on Giant Cave Swallows.

Luckily, the goblins still pathed through most of the weapon trap corridor that was set up and the cave swallows fled from my bowdwarves instead of fighting them.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: April 30, 2013, 11:03:11 am »

I forgot to build a wall inside of my murky-pool floodgate before letting it fill back up.  A megabeast got in and killed my farmers, mucking up the well as well.

See, I should have built it inside the gat so that even if the gate was destroyed it couldnt get in.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: April 30, 2013, 04:06:51 pm »

30+ legendary dwarriors are at their battle stations on the bridge before my fort, and the goblin archers are approaching!...and all my dwarves dodge off my bridge into magma. Whoops!

Also, trying DFHack for the first time:
Oh I bet I can mark all the tattered clothes from my inventory, and autodump them into my refuse pile! Instantly, 250+ dwarves have nervous breakdowns because they're all naked. Half of them go berserk within a month, and kill the other half. Whoops.
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 729