Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142510 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7305 on: January 06, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »

My whole fortress is moving all of the cloth from the stockpiles into the hospital... 1550000/50000

After removing one coffer the whole cloth spread on the ground. Now they're moving it back to the stockpiles. FML.

http://imgur.com/pqIOZ,AF1MW,GhoX9
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:26:29 pm by rumpel »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: January 06, 2013, 04:31:19 pm »

My whole fortress is moving all of the cloth from the stockpiles into the hospital... 1550000/50000

After removing one coffer the whole cloth spread on the ground. Now they're moving it back to the stockpiles. FML.

http://imgur.com/pqIOZ,AF1MW,GhoX9
Build your hospital coffers one at a time to keep dwarves from storing every last scrap of cloth.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: January 06, 2013, 05:05:09 pm »

Is there any way to fix it? I removed the hospital zone and all coffers. Build a new coffer and set a new hospital zone - same problem, though. Now that shit lies on the ground and the dwarves still moving everything around.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: January 06, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

No way to keep dwarves from filling them to full capacity. At least, not that I know of.
I suppose you could forbid all the cloth/thread except what you want in the hospital, then unforbid after it's stored.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: January 06, 2013, 10:19:31 pm »

My Dwarves decide to take the long way around and jump into my water filled moat when a bridge is right there...

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:48 am »

I had the same isue, but because I have forgot to deactivate filling my "dwarven bathtub" near the bridge... It was filled to 5/7, so everyone was using the moat. A very, very long moat. FML.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #7311 on: January 07, 2013, 11:25:02 am »

I dug down to the magma layer and found adamantine, got all the fan-fair and everything was good, so I designated a large chunk a few z-levels up to act as my ores/bars stockpile, it was like 20x10 so I left the game running and made a cup of tea...

i came back and the game was paused, so I figured "Meh a migrant wave"....until I saw the text...turns out they’d dug through the adamantine pipe...much Fun ensued....followed by death, glorious glorious death.

The worst moment came when I had to explain to the misses, it was her first fort and she couldn’t stop laughing at the combat reports...I’m slightly worried about her now xD
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

Charlingo

• Escaped Lunatic
  • "Engineer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: January 07, 2013, 04:36:10 pm »

Decided to fight a forgotten beast that had poison dust with roughly 40 soldiers. Now I didnt know what was going to happen at the time, but during and after the battle my warriors started to look rather undead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When seeing the massacre happening in the caves, I decided that the smartest action would be preparing the hospital. I restarted the bed and soap industries and got everything set up whilst the soldiers were being dragged in. Once their rotting bodies were brought inside, dwarven stupidity happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

half of the soldiers, including the militia commander, are piled atop a bucket like dead bodies. There were still a lot of beds available, you just can't see them within the miasma. How does this happen exactly? I'm still confused about this.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: January 08, 2013, 02:04:04 am »

koter

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Write Post: taken by mood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:20 am »

Just now my fort was under siege by humans. I declared an alert and allowed my military some time to regroup somewhere between my entrance and the human camp. Then I ordered the entrance bridge lifted. As the assigned dwarf was going to pull the lever, one of my marksdwarves decides to take a nap at the very same bridge.
I have to admit that I saw her napping on the bridge as I was observing my military, but I never saw what happened to something that's on a bridge when it's lifted and I just couldn't help myself.
Newton was right. When the lever was pulled, the marksdwarf flew upwards, slammed into a tree, broke a leg and an arm and punctured a lung.

Maybe I can use that to make dwarven paratroopers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:10:14 am by koter »

Elando

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: January 08, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »

So... My latest fort just came under attack by a giant Wereass.

Apparently it's Katamba-Black hair is very curly. D:

Not quite sure what kind of ass it is yet but visions of a giant hairy backside running around on stubby legs gobbling up my Dwarves is not a pretty sight...

Edit: As my fort is quite new and I have yet to make weapons all 45 available dorfs have been drafted into active service ready to fight the beast.

Let's hunt some arse!

EditEdit: Turns out he was a frogman. He promptly killed a woodcutter and a cook before changing back and running away...

Must have been the fear of having a fortress full of blood crazed dwarves bum rush him.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:30:35 pm by Elando »

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #7316 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:38 pm »

So... My latest fort just came under attack by a giant Wereass.

Apparently it's Katamba-Black hair is very curly. D:

Not quite sure what kind of ass it is yet but visions of a giant hairy backside running around on stubby legs gobbling up my Dwarves is not a pretty sight...

Edit: As my fort is quite new and I have yet to make weapons all 45 available dorfs have been drafted into active service ready to fight the beast.

Let's hunt some arse!

EditEdit: Turns out he was a frogman. He promptly killed a woodcutter and a cook before changing back and running away...

Must have been the fear of having a fortress full of blood crazed dwarves bum rush him.

Wait, so the were-form was a Frogman? lol and the Ass was infected with that? Or the other way around? I haven't had any were-beasts yet :/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:02:06 am by Eggman360 »
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: January 08, 2013, 06:48:49 pm »

Maybe I can use that to make dwarven paratroopers.
Just make sure you have some nice soft kittens and puppies for them to land on.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #7318 on: January 08, 2013, 08:16:48 pm »

What a facepalm moment!

Everything went well in my experimental fort (which was extra wide to allow for two big towers connected by a walled passage). I had several great ore strikes, plenty of good soil, the works.

The only bad things were: 1) There were no plump helmets OR SEEDS available for the embark, and 2) After a day or so, my two miners fell asleep a bit earlier than the rest of the beardos, on hard ground, in the bedroom area (no beds available yet).

Cut to the next season. Many things are made and working. I notice a miner bleeding and vomiting in her own bed.

Was it because of outdoor exposure? Nope, everyone's been running around a lot because of the huge lengthy corridors, only a couple of which were finished by now.

Finally I look at the "wounds" and what is listed is "Fever - Nausea". Seems to be some sort of flu. Fortunately, after a good rest, the sickness, whatever it is, is gone, and the miner returns to active duty.

OK, time to build and designate the hospital. I design the whole thing, and designate the zone right away even though nobody even tunneled it out yet.

A little bit later, the same dwarf, who was mining it out, decided to fall asleep on the ground, even though she has a perfectly good bed back in her bedroom. Why? Because she's sick again!

I immediately set up some beds, and then the OTHER miner has arrived and is also sleeping on the floor. Same reason-- vomiting and fever.

I return to other activities, deciding there's nothing I can do, since the beds will take some time to get there.

Then the miner cancelled sleep because she was interrupted by the noise of a bed being delivered. What did she do? Instead of waiting for the bed to be positioned, she simply moved a few squares over and went to sleep again on the cold hard floor.

The other one, meanwhile, seems to have gotten better and wandered off to do more work on the east side of the hospital. Which prompted the first miner to FINALLY find the bed and crawl into it.

That did it. I am assigning a chief medical officer.

Except it turns out, the only one with any of the medical skills needed is...

Yup. The miner.

Well, can't be helped. I'm nicknaming her "Dr."

Cut to some time later. No real hospital activity has followed, even though I see occasional patches of the miner's -- er, doctor's blood. Every time I see this I check up on both of them. Neither is vomiting or sick; in fact, they are both reported as being healthy with the now-available "h" option.

But when I do this, it zooms to the doctor, which lists wounds, but also mentions the translation of her name which I notice for the first time:

"Dr. Plaguerub"

Insanity X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: January 09, 2013, 05:31:10 am »

I embarked in an evil fun biome, and immediately my hunter and his dog ran into a cloud to kill some cavy's, and they got turned into husks, so I conscripted the rest of my dwarves into the military

None bothered to grab a weapon
They just kicked, punched and groped the dog until they dehydrated to death
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth, and receive eternal life." but, John came fifth and received a toaster
Urist McMason, Mason cancels Build Important Wall: Making rock mugs.
It was inevitable.
My succession world turn.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 729