Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141741 times)

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7200 on: November 18, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »

Building an Obsidian caster in my current Volcano fortress.
I'm operating under the restriction of no cheap stones. Obsidian and marble only.

due to my "perceived"  knowledge on this subject I made several checks and cutoffs to regulate this beast.

now due to an iron shortage, i only have one iron pump (so far). but my plan calls for three to fill magma into the caster.

In a hurry i decided to fill the caster so i activated the perpetual power plant (one copper screw pump+water wheel)

Two problems immediatly show up.

One:  A Floodgate was closed and blocked the path of the magma. This back-filled into the pump and powerplant area.  :-[
Two: adding to this the water was still filling the power plant.

I now have some obsidian to mine out, just not in the spot i wanted it.  (Facepalm)

however this is not a fortress ender due to my shutoffs and the obsidian blockages.

Good planing, bad planing, I Guess
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: November 18, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »

Speaking of magma. I was creating a magma trap, but it backfired completely. It seemed I pulled the wrong lever, flooded a nobles room with magma which in turn leaked out into my dining hall, causing many deaths....I didn't see this because I was making a damn sandwich.
Unf.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:37 pm »

Speaking of magma. I was creating a magma trap, but it backfired completely. It seemed I pulled the wrong lever, flooded a nobles room with magma which in turn leaked out into my dining hall, causing many deaths....I didn't see this because I was making a damn sandwich.
Which was the backfire, the flooding of the noble's room, or the leaking?

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:20 am »

Just crushed on of my three Legendary Speardwarf/Proficient Teacher with a drawbridge. Ouch.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: November 19, 2012, 06:13:12 am »

The phrase "damn sandwich" made me smile for some reason- as though "damn" is a sandwich topping of some kind. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:42 am »

'A section of the cavern has collapsed!' 'A section of the cavern has collapsed!' 'A section of the cavern has collapsed!'

I look to see Urist Mc Miners unconcious and badly hurt, with Urist Mc Mayor above them, having caused the cave-ins.

infinityc0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: November 19, 2012, 02:13:48 pm »

Today (as in two minutes ago) I learned an important lesson. Before your fort becomes besieged by a much better equipped army, make sure the bridge that closes your fort up is actually the type that raises up and not one that retracts, leaving your fort completely open.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: November 20, 2012, 01:49:46 pm »

Back when i started playing this game I didn't know dwarves could travel between z-levels without a staircase or a ramp. As I started digging out staircases for every z-level on the map I noticed my dwarfs running around on places i thought they shouldn't be able to. My conclusion? Obviously, I thought, I can see my dwarves through multiple z-levels when they are laboring. The funny triangles everywhere on the map (slopes)? Distraction.

Later I tried to create a fortress on a volcano. Huge swarms of keas circled around my dwarves and stole almost EVERYTHING before I even dug out the first room.

A kea has gone of with a fungiwood barrel. How is that even possible?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:59:41 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: November 20, 2012, 04:02:27 pm »

Tweak Makeown from DFhack.  Did it on a dwarf riding a wagon.  He immediately generated a strangemood.  Not sure if its guaranteed everytime, but this time that's what happened.  Couldn't get him off the damn wagon to claim his craftstation..  He said strange mood in user list, but did not have the blinking !, just a ?

Figured that meant.. umm hey overlord you dumbshit, I cannot get off this wagon.  So.. I decided to Slayrace Equipment_Wagon and Slayrace Horse, now he's happily pushing out an wooden puzzlebox artifcat..  But I have no idea if I'll ever see another Horse or not.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
« Reply #7209 on: November 23, 2012, 05:52:48 pm »

It's been a while since I played, and I just tried to build an upward stair case on a built (not carved, then smoothed) floor.

CANNOT BUILD: CONSTRUCTION PRESENT.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: November 23, 2012, 08:10:28 pm »

I hate that!! Grr...

My face palm moment that happened like a minute ago. Fortressforge was a pretty mature 4-year fort. 84 people, several legendary crafters, and a kickass black opal window with platinum and palm framing. It was also straddling a great river, across from which were four necromancer towers (not kidding - it was like the damn things were being marched towards my dwarf civ like Terran Starcraft bunkers.) I was reasonably proud of it.

There I was, making a bunch of airlocks and barricades inside a passage that led to a giant adamantine vein in my 3rd cavern layer. But it wasn't the clowns that got me... it was the single, stealthed necromancer that crept in, past my three talented marksdwarves on the parapets, past the six tethered guard dogs, past the trade caravan inside my main landing below the aquifier layer, and stumbled across my diagonally-sealed dead body dump I had made back during the forts conception. That thing had a stack of bodies pages long.

So I'm making little supply rooms down at layer -5, and all of a sudden there's like 100 incomming job cancellations. "What the fuck??" Go I. I head to the unit page... and I discover that I now have 293 undead corpses shambling through my workshop area, and I'm down to 15 units; it was a literal explosion of undead zombies.

Esc->Abandon Fort->Yes. /game

ALWAYS ATOM SMASH CORPSES!

Mooglit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: November 24, 2012, 01:34:11 am »

Settled quite cozily in a nice spot near a couple of Towers. 'Look good on the horizon' thought I.
For safe-keeping, I walled my dwarves up, and gave them a couple bridges, linked up for safety's sake.
'I'll have a tunnel beneath my fort-entrance to allow the caravan in, though. Because trading is fun.' Continued my modest mind-set.
I became so wound up in my dwarves adorable antics, I somehow forgot to bridge off that tunnel sneaking beneath the bowels of my fort, popping right in the middle of it.

'Oh look!' I said with suprise. 'An invasion! What fun! I've never had this kind before! Well, everyone's inside, I'll just close up... my.. ...Bridge-ohsweetlordyno'

And I watched as the undead merrily poured into the depths of my so delicately laid out fort, and made friends with my Dwarves.

3 Adventurer attempts and a reclaim later to clear the place out and I gave up. ; n ; I'm so sorry, Steelscoured.

Vrakanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: November 24, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »

There might be a hole where my face was after this.

I built myself a near impenatrable fort, complete with pillboxes, full trapped security, and a marksdwarf force 100 strong.

However when I  rigged up my draw bridge....I didn't channel out the ice I mined it. and thus there was a nice icy path right into my base....

187 gobs, 18 trolls, mostly gobbo crossbowmen, the rest were spearmasters. With the exception of my Baron, (ironically the chief medical dwarf and my namebearer) they were all slaughtered. Even the puppies.

And so now I'm debating, reclaim, or play another civ in the world untill the damn gobs leave so I can just reclaim all that sweet green glass I had crafted.

And thus, I have !!FUN!! whether I wanted it or not.
Must've been a menacing wooden dildo trap.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:50 pm »

I hate when my Armorer make 15 masterfull right gauntlets and none of left =(

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: November 29, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »

I hate when my Armorer make 15 masterfull right gauntlets and none of left =(

Or when they decide it's a good idea to waste all of my steel on said right gauntlets.
Unf.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 729