Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142233 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7140 on: October 26, 2012, 10:10:12 am »

In my world there is a Squirting continents... Toady what were you doing when inserting the names into the generator?!?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: October 26, 2012, 11:56:18 am »

A forgotten beast disappeared in the (u)nits list so I opened my central staircase. You know what's going to happen..

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: October 26, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »

A fairly minor one, but forgetting to check the relative positions of my dump zone and my new magma forge lead to me legendary weaponsmith getting smacked in the face with a severed goblin arm.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: October 26, 2012, 05:01:27 pm »

They had prepared for months! Trained, planned, studied… They could not fail. They were The Burning Torch!

Fuck.

AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:58 pm »

I was testing some custom weapons in arena mode, when I accidentally genned an aardvark in full steel armor rather than the dwarf I had intended to after I forgot to filter names.

Then I spawned a proper dwarf, equipped with the same gear but on an opposing alliance...

Apparently, aardvarks are effective armor users. The thought of a dorf armed with a huge steel mechanized axe vainly wailing on an aardvark somehow geared in full steel armor is rather silly.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Urist ZatRethol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: October 27, 2012, 08:53:14 pm »

Earlier today, I was being spammed with announcements saying the dwarfs were being interrupted by a cave crocodile while trying to drink, when I saw that I first wondered why the dwarfs were going into the cavern for water while I had plenty of booze. It was not until one dwarf died that I realized that the crocodile wasn't in the cavern, it was in the dining room with half of the dwarven population.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: October 29, 2012, 08:16:51 am »

The moment of pride:

Urist McMacedwarf takes on three trolls by himself, and manages to one-hit one and kill the another without injury. The third one is injured and turns tail like a bitch, the macedwarf is still unharmed.

The facepalm:

The trolls runs away into the river.
The macedwarf follows him.
In full iron plate armor.
With no swimming skill.
Than passes out from exhaustion (If I'm reading right, he was also beating the troll underwater, props for determination)
And drowns.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: October 29, 2012, 12:53:41 pm »

The moment of pride:

Urist McMacedwarf takes on three trolls by himself, and manages to one-hit one and kill the another without injury. The third one is injured and turns tail like a bitch, the macedwarf is still unharmed.

The facepalm:

The trolls runs away into the river.
The macedwarf follows him.
In full iron plate armor.
With no swimming skill.
Than passes out from exhaustion (If I'm reading right, he was also beating the troll underwater, props for determination)
And drowns.

sadly pretty common, dodging into water also stinks, i might have to start building walls to prevent stuff from getting to it :P
I think legendary guys have less trouble with it. partly because trolls generally last 3 hits against my legendary swordsdwarf, and he + she (got 2 :P ) catch them pretty fast. i've still had to set emergency channel designations and hope the miners get there in time, although the last time i did this, the dwarf just wandered out of the water without help with no swimming ability.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:46 pm »

I'm building a "wading room" to train dwarves in swimming. This will be mandatory for all melee based military personnel
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: October 29, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »

Been a while since I played, but this recent fort of mine shows just how rusty I am. An armorsmith goes into a mood and needs metal bars, which I do not yet have in my early, yet overcrowded fort. No problem, I'll just go mine some of this tetrahedrite down in the caverous depths. Meanwhile, a miner on the surface collapses a hill on top of himself, causing me to become distracted as the other miners tear into an unrevealed part of the cavern, and release a forgotten beast into my fort. Said beastie immediately kills my incredibly popular mayor. Cue tantrum spiral. The 8 survivors had to bury 48 bodies while being harassed by restless ghosts.

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: October 30, 2012, 02:38:07 pm »

after my danger room trains my dwarf to legendary in shield and weapon use, i notice he is walking very slowly. he has almost no armour use skill. i decide to remove his weapon and shield in order to train his armour use. years later when i send him out to kill some goblins he is promtly shot through the brain with an arrow. but how did he fail to block it?! i never gave him back his shield.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: October 30, 2012, 03:12:50 pm »

In my fort I have had a total of two weaponsmith moods.
Both of them made bluemetal weapons.
One was a hammer, the other was a crossbow.

solarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: November 02, 2012, 06:55:40 pm »

craftsman made an
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
mace

a twig with a chunk of styrofoam is more effective

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: November 02, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »

My sapiocoatls can fly. They need to have a land path to path anywhere, but then can use their abilities to shorten said path.

Such as flying onto the wall, where a land path no longer exists.

SDH

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:40 pm »

After a Forgotten Beast with a dust attack paralyzed and killed half my army I got a huge influx of immigrants that drafted immediately. When half of my army died off again I assumed it was the rest of the original soldiers...no, the new recruits were being poisoned by the dust on all of my armor and weapons. It only took 40 dead dorfs for me to realize what had happened, and by then the tantrum spiral had started and my Captain of the Guard got to murder 4 lawbreakers before he too was paralyzed and died. It was so bad I started picking fights with merchants to try and get them to kill off my fort.
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 729