Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141391 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6960 on: August 30, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »

I was ordered to kill a giant in adventure mode, and i did so unscathed. I was later killed by an obese hippo.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:38 am »

Digged the entrance hall between two water basins.
Channeled a moat that links the river two one of said ponds.
Digged a lateral tunnel to the hall and planned to install a floodgate to flood the hall in case of siege.
Channeled a moat between the ponds.
DfHack -> die
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

IronEleven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:33 am »

I've been playing this game for a little over a year now.  I only just now realized that you have to manually assign ammo to your military marksdwarves.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: August 31, 2012, 09:27:59 am »

In Spearbreakers, Aseaheru, a skilled hammerdwarf dehydrated to death at the bottom of the Dodge Me trap. He only had a broken arm, but evidently no one wanted to rescue him. What's more annoying was his legs weren't injured, so he could've just walked to the hospital.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: August 31, 2012, 10:05:50 am »

My best adventurer in a world with all peramiters top-notched explored all 9 of my abondoned forts, had 2\3rds of his things as artifacts the other 1\3rd being candy.

later became champion of all 14 civs, pushed back all dark towers/fortresses (NO EVIL LEFT..)

all of this with no more than 8 followers at any one time.
left this world due to his job here being done (went off the edge of the map)
Went to sleep on a glacier and woke up in the form of a seal being devoured by a polar bear...
then woke up as a Gorlak bothering ratmen (got blow darted to death)
Woke up as a fire imp sealed magma pool..

Cursed to forever search for his original form

really ? no shit..
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Komnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »

A legendary miner, one of my founding seven, decides to step outside the walls for Armok knows what reason.  The instant he steps onto the atom smasher gate, he stumbles into an ambush.  At this point, if he takes about two steps north, he'll have a line of cage traps between him and the gobbos.  So naturally, he charges straight south and gets flayed by a lasher.  He and a legendary carpenter (also one of the seven!) die seconds before my military manages to arrive and convert the goblins into meat confetti.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: September 03, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »

"The forgotten beast Aztong Basencim Avuz Arel has come! A gigantic three-eyed scorpion, it has a knobby shell and it belches and croaks. Beware it's poisonous sting!"

Sounds scary right?

"The flying <<goblin-cap blowdart>> strikes the forgotten beast in the cephalothorax, chipping the chitin and bruising the muscle and bruising the brain!"

Aztong Basencim Avuz Arel Corpse

It got one-shot by a serpent-man
/facepalm

Nubshiggurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: September 03, 2012, 05:10:40 pm »

Registered to post in this thread.

I had a lot of !!fun with my second functional fort.

I embarked on a great site with a volcano and I just knew I had to make myself a lava-filled moat as defense. I build up my fort, economy is going great, everyone is ecstatic because of the 3 tile waterfall that flows through the dining room and the living area, all is good. I decide it is time for the lava moat, plan a fool(and dwarf!)proof way to make it, involving a multiple z-level spanning lava tunnel that has magma-proof floodgates (with magma-proof mechanisms too) and a line of fortifications and another row of magma-proof floodgates before reaching my moat, where it then drains through fortifications into a tunnel a few z-levels lower and proceeds to exit the map via a fortified side block. I see all this and am happy. All I need to do is channel in from the top to make my moat complete.

first facepalm: designating a 3*8 area to channel is not a good idea, Urist mcminer decided to stand in the middle and dig all around. Yay, first cave-in, no harm done tho, one guy dead and a few injured, I had the forethought not to open the lava yet.

I proceded to make a huge receding bridge over the moat, cackling evilly to myself as I imagined the goblin troops dropping in and melting in my glorious moat. At this point, I start training my militia (yeah, a bit late at 80+ dorfs), and all the def I had was this bridge and a raisable one in the entrance hall. I didn't make traps because LAVA MOAT. I finally open up the sluices and let the lava fill out, everything works perfectly, nothing can harm me, right?

So the first enemy to arrive outside of kobolds and goblin thieves? Nebo, Giant (not sure if this was there) Roc. In the description it says it is bigger than dragons. And, obviously, it flies.

*facepalm*

So I seal the fort, burrow all my civilians in, and wait. The Roc proceeds with no hesitation, to chase down every tame animal I had grazing and kill them savagely. Then I think, hey, maybe my barely trained military can beat this guy. So I open all bridges, wait for Nebo to come, who by this time had gotten a last name too. He comes flying in, I set my squad on him, and...

... all goes pretty well, one hammerdwarf dies but they beat the Roc back and he has cuts on his wings and stuff. I breath a sigh of relief, well, this should be manageable. The Roc is obviously afraid, now it has flown off and is 8 z levels up in the air in a corner. A whole season passes, I make a magma forge and start beating out iron weapons, squad is positioned in the entrance, I almost forget about Nebo Aredluthi.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, he decides to go apeshit and proceeds to rush in, kill half of my militia squad, then the other half, then most of the newly-conscripted wrestler squad I send against him, then finally a conscript miner takes him out while he is surrounded by wrestlers. Bodyparts everywhere, ALL my military dead, (okay one guy is left but he lacks arms and quickly succumbs to blood loss). I look at the numbers, down 20 dwarfs. F@#@$%. Well, I still have 80 left. Then I look into dwarf therapist. EVERY DWARF IS RED. A previously unimportant piece of information clicks as I remember looking through the militia member's relationships and there was a surprising number off both offspring and cousins, also grandparents.

*facepalm* and from here on, continuous facepalms

I conscripted the peasants into my military, not knowing that those where the grandchildren of my founders, and related to almost everybody in the fort. I issue orders to make coffins asap, and hope for the best. Somehow the dwarfs don't seem to be hauling the body parts to the refuse pile, but I put that down to grief.

Then someone starts a tantrum. One of the first things they do is push another dwarf off my bridge, into the lovely lava moat. Then another, then another tantrum. It is about 15-20 tantrums in that I realize that noone has touched the corpses still and I cant make graves for some reason. I look at my worsho- at the PLACE my workshop used to be, before a tantruming dorf destroyed it. Bodyparts start to rot and another 20 tantrums have to happen before I notice that there is an option to stockpile corpses. I put it outside, the non-tantruming dwarfs start hauling out bodies, but by now my fortress has lost as much as the Roc (full name Nebo Aredluthi Takruduslud by its death) had killed, and we are down to 60 PISSED-OFF dwarfs. Miasma is everywhere, even in my legendary waterfall-dining hall, and those dwarfs not tantruming are standing in a corner, waiting for their turn. At about 40 population, I notice a tantrumming dwarf had the consideration to destroy the bridge across the moat, I missed the fall so I don't know how many died in that (all that is in the moat is ashes). This sealed the fate of the fort, because the few sane dwarfs left (oh yeah, most became stark raving mad or insane) couldn't even get rid of the miasma-inducing body parts all over the main stairs.

I muttered a curse and ordered the wall holding back the lava to be dismantled, which was done by the last sane worker, a child who managed to run away from the initial lava but then turned around about 20 tiles later and WAITED FOR IT TO ENGULF HIM.

I like to think he did that knowingly, praising the gods that freed him of this horrible life.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: September 03, 2012, 07:50:17 pm »

I found the perfect embark for my planned fort - plenty of rock and even sand, something I can never find.

Aaaand then the Keas stole all of my food.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: September 03, 2012, 08:09:05 pm »

Better your food than your picks and axes (if your brought them premade.)

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: September 04, 2012, 12:42:42 am »

Carving out an UP/DOWN without realizing it opened into a cavern where a flying FB was lurking. To make matters worse, the FB -which I had forgotten about - was a nasty paralysis syndrome dust spewer. I was like "WTF how did he get in?" Then I saw the up/down. *facepalm*

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: September 04, 2012, 06:16:42 am »

Getting a first migrant wave that consisted only of children.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: September 04, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »

Had my garbage dump right outside the entrance tunnel, and a necromancer raised the handful of eligible corpses and body parts. My military dispatched them easily enough, but unfortunately were "aided" by the caravan's axedwarves. The necro cascade grew strong enough to kill two of my soldiers, which instantly made every single dwarf in the fort unhappy. I've lost 1/3 of my population already and half of what's left are melancholy. Soon my fort will be populated entirely by partying children...
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: September 04, 2012, 02:54:43 pm »

Had my garbage dump right outside the entrance tunnel, and a necromancer raised the handful of eligible corpses and body parts. My military dispatched them easily enough, but unfortunately were "aided" by the caravan's axedwarves. The necro cascade grew strong enough to kill two of my soldiers, which instantly made every single dwarf in the fort unhappy. I've lost 1/3 of my population already and half of what's left are melancholy. Soon my fort will be populated entirely by partying children...
Keep them away from any ocean-borne shells.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: September 04, 2012, 05:45:18 pm »

Forgetting water can pass through corners just long enough to drown half my fortress with water.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 729