Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141338 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6330 on: May 23, 2012, 04:32:01 pm »

I start a new fort. Everything goes smoothly for an ingame year. I've been watching it for a few hours, so I get a glass of water. I leave the game running.

Everyone gets slaughtered by a zombie water buffalo..

*facepalm*
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: May 24, 2012, 01:16:29 am »

Well, I have this fortified position above some lovely drawbridges to shoot down on any comers...
"Ok, the gobbos are on the bridges, pull the lever!"
--> A Goblin Mace Lord is flung through a fortification and into the battlement.
--> ‼Fun‼ Ensues™.

:-[
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: May 24, 2012, 04:10:54 am »

When I had a message "The human child... has come! A medium-sized creature prone to a great ambition." Then I saw this child just look at my fort and turn around and run to the map edge. What a motivation - if you have ambitions, stay away from here. :D

Also when my first dead was a mad naked child. Bad part is I produced a lot of clothes but all of it was taken by adults (they had xclothx; nothing bad).

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: May 24, 2012, 06:32:55 am »

Today... I have finally grasped the "Loosing Is Fun" thing.

Surely this fort was promising enough already with that burning miner who refused to die until reload. And that artifact yak leather face veil, The Virginity of Sloths. Well, we had so much gold here we could have been wiping our butts with golden wafers, and looks like that vast meeting square paved with gold (that took about a solid quarter of the accessible surface) was the last drop for those sissy local goblins to finally pull the thumbs out of their arses and send a decent siege, took you long enough. Oh, good, ogres, haven't seen them in a while!
A dozern of riders died to my archers before return fire forced them our of the tower. And then I suddenly feel smoke in the air... Magma? What is it doing on the surface? Ooh, I see, totally forgot about that unfinished miniproject of a magma-based defence system. That has been holding on to a single floodgate this whole time. Until said ogres broke it out of curiosity. Well, no big deal, the bridge is up, the moat is isolated with an obsidian door, the stocks are brimming full with stuff, everything is fine... Wait, who the hell left the moat door wide open?! Dorfs, change of plan!
The invaders, all hundred of them, pour into the trapped hallway and get minced to pieces in an act of bloody carnage involving hundreds of glass serrated discs and menacing copper spikes. Exactly after the last two survivors escape the scorched landscape, a Desert Titan comes in. The giant stupid bird just caught a few dozerns of metal bolts before collapsing right atop the watchtower. Then the drawbridge started flooding, raise it the hell up. Good, now I need to think up a way to contain the magma before it floods the mining facilities. A cave-in, great idea! My bonesetter miner channels the last tile while standing on top of it and goes down for a swim with an alert. But, there were two things I haven't taken into account. First, the cave-in was too narrow to plug the channel. And second, a cave-in only stops on a completely solid surface. One level below was the farming sector. No big deal, put a door here, and we'll be fine. What's that tile, is it a hole? Why do I smell smoke again? Two levels below was the booze stockpile. And the dining hall. A bunch of unlucky beards got fried on a spot, half of the others started tantruming right there. Fine, now I can finally contain the magma with doors. And THEN I recall installing WOODEN doors throughout the whole living area for vengeance purposes.
This was the most glorious failure of a fort I've ever had.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: May 24, 2012, 06:51:38 am »

this is an amazing series of facepalms, I salute you for death and destruction
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: May 24, 2012, 07:04:33 am »

Today... I have finally grasped the "Loosing Is Fun" thing.

Surely this fort was promising enough already with that burning miner who refused to die until reload. And that artifact yak leather face veil, The Virginity of Sloths. Well, we had so much gold here we could have been wiping our butts with golden wafers, and looks like that vast meeting square paved with gold (that took about a solid quarter of the accessible surface) was the last drop for those sissy local goblins to finally pull the thumbs out of their arses and send a decent siege, took you long enough. Oh, good, ogres, haven't seen them in a while!
A dozern of riders died to my archers before return fire forced them our of the tower. And then I suddenly feel smoke in the air... Magma? What is it doing on the surface? Ooh, I see, totally forgot about that unfinished miniproject of a magma-based defence system. That has been holding on to a single floodgate this whole time. Until said ogres broke it out of curiosity. Well, no big deal, the bridge is up, the moat is isolated with an obsidian door, the stocks are brimming full with stuff, everything is fine... Wait, who the hell left the moat door wide open?! Dorfs, change of plan!
The invaders, all hundred of them, pour into the trapped hallway and get minced to pieces in an act of bloody carnage involving hundreds of glass serrated discs and menacing copper spikes. Exactly after the last two survivors escape the scorched landscape, a Desert Titan comes in. The giant stupid bird just caught a few dozerns of metal bolts before collapsing right atop the watchtower. Then the drawbridge started flooding, raise it the hell up. Good, now I need to think up a way to contain the magma before it floods the mining facilities. A cave-in, great idea! My bonesetter miner channels the last tile while standing on top of it and goes down for a swim with an alert. But, there were two things I haven't taken into account. First, the cave-in was too narrow to plug the channel. And second, a cave-in only stops on a completely solid surface. One level below was the farming sector. No big deal, put a door here, and we'll be fine. What's that tile, is it a hole? Why do I smell smoke again? Two levels below was the booze stockpile. And the dining hall. A bunch of unlucky beards got fried on a spot, half of the others started tantruming right there. Fine, now I can finally contain the magma with doors. And THEN I recall installing WOODEN doors throughout the whole living area for vengeance purposes.
This was the most glorious failure of a fort I've ever had.

I think you won bay12
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: May 24, 2012, 08:34:39 am »

When I realized I did not have to muddy underground soil tiles in order to put a farm on them.
/facepalm
Feeling down? Click Here!

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

After I read a lot about danger rooms and how good they are at trainning fighters I desided to build one too. And while am I at it, test repeater as well.

How did happened that one speardwafette had 3 childs? And those were not imigrated childs. :o Well they are safer in a hospital anyway. They don't need grasp at all.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »

Spot the facepalm!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(a>b) ? false : true

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: May 24, 2012, 05:04:19 pm »

heh, nice one

I'm not good at reading the tileset, took me some time to spot it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: May 24, 2012, 05:29:17 pm »

Urist's first law of masonry: Where there is a wall, there is also a mason on the wrong side.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: May 24, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »

Urists 2nd Law.

If a mason must remove a large floor, be it cavern or constructed, they shall stand in the middle and remove all the tiles around themselves.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: May 24, 2012, 07:21:03 pm »

Urists 3rd Law.

The wall always looks nicer on the wrong side.
(a>b) ? false : true

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: May 24, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »

Law of Conservation of Intelligence

For every act of dwarven brilliance, there must be an act of dwarven stupidity of equal but opposite magnitude.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mister Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:10 pm »

I had dug myself a small, deep chamber to hold water in that I diverted from a river to use for farming/well water. I got the well working and all the dwarves started partying around it. I went down to work on the farm, and suddenly...

'X cancels task: dangerous terrain!'

I come back upstairs to see that the happy dwarf well party has turned into a hydrophobic's worst nightmare with water gushing out and flooding the dining room near-instantly.
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 729