Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141411 times)

MHpersonalDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6270 on: May 10, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »

I was making a main drainage system for my reservoir in case I needed to drain it to widen the intake or whatever. Instead of channeling each Z-level at a time for the long vertical 2x2 pipe, I just chose to channel the entire thing at once, leading to a lot of cave-ins and a couple broken bones, but no biggie. I expected it.

Fast forward ten years when a whole lot of goblins and forgotten beasts decide to attack. I had (supposedly) sealed off the caverns  from the three or so forgotten beasts that festered there because I didn't have the strength after my military was attacked by one which fired fireballs (which caused their booze rations to catch on fire and explode, causing what is akin to a hand grenade malfunction)

My fortress is halved in population by now, and after (barely) surviving a goblin siege, I look in my fortress and see webs everywhere.

"Wait what"

A forgotten spiderbeast had climbed up through the drain, which emptied into the caverns (with a maintenance staircase no less!) because of the imperfections making it essentially a very curvy system of ramps. Facepalm moment one. I killed it off and yadda yadda, fortress was dwindling.

ANOTHER SIEGE. This one with a whole lotta trolls! My elite archers managed to pick most off, and I actually got the drawbridges up before anything really bad happened! Then I noticed my emergency mayoral escape tunnel's exit's door was missing. And it's hatch. Facepalm #2, totally forgetting Trolls could destroy anything they damn well pleased. I actually fought them off, though!

Built walls in place of those doors in that emergency mayor thingy, and placed a pickaxe in my mayor's office so if s/he needed it to break open onto the outside world, s/he could. Handy-dandy. All of the forgotten beasts were at bay by destroying some important staircases, as well. Everything was fine.

Cut to another siege. Bridges up, everything okay. Trolls get in. How? A drawbridge that I used as the door to our waterwheel generator, which pretty much led into our pump stack. Cue goblin siege killing everyone, because I didn't think of putting a moat there. Facepalm 3. Brainpath the Metropolis was now a smoldering heap of dead bodies. All of this happened in one or two years.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: May 11, 2012, 12:32:01 am »

Kib Adolthob, Miner, has created Mishakdanman Betansemor, a adamatine war hammer!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:38:28 am by MrButtchicker »

Pare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: May 11, 2012, 01:55:28 am »

My fortress has endured for over six years, and fought off some sieges and a couple of titans. With the fortress rolling pretty much on its own, I decide to breach the first cavern, and send one 10-strong squad to guard the entrance. I didn't build FB traps as I thought I'd have time.

I didn't check whether there were any beasts in the caverns as I positioned the squad right at the entrance. After the breach I check the unit list, and there is one forgotten beast (which I had forgotten *bdum-tsih*), made of glass and with webs. No problem, I think, as the squad is expendable anyway, and they probably should be able to handle it at least for long enough to get some proper defenses done, or at least raise the drawbridge before the beast gets to it.

The FB seemed to be content not to invade for some time so I did some other building on the upper layers, and then realize there's a combat report. It seems that one marksdwarf in the squad was webbed and killed. Hm? No other reports?

It seems that the squad had positioned itself just so that there was a way into my corridor without them noticing. The one marksdwarf was the latecomer who met the beast in the corridor. The FB is now in the corridor, the military squad is behind it in the cavern, and I probably don't have time to raise my drawbridge before the FB gets past it. *facepalm*

I can probably delay it enough for it not to slaughter the whole fortress.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: May 11, 2012, 02:16:37 pm »

A yak just kicked my weaponsmith/cook into a volcano.
On the bright side, I just uncovered the magma sea about ten minutes after embark.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: May 12, 2012, 01:35:01 am »

*looks at artifacts*
mirstalkol Nazomlir, Velvetywheel the Dreamy Climax, a adamantine battle axe

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: May 12, 2012, 01:53:17 am »

That's a pretty good artifact, actually.

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: May 12, 2012, 04:17:13 am »

*looks at artifacts*
mirstalkol Nazomlir, Velvetywheel the Dreamy Climax, a adamantine battle axe

That is one of the best weapons you will ever get, i don't think it should be in this topic.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:36 am »

Look at the name. (its not an artifact, someone grew attached to it.)

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: May 12, 2012, 08:47:40 pm »

heh heh the great axe of innuendo
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: May 12, 2012, 10:15:44 pm »

I decided to go all out and built some pump stacks. Aquifers are the Worst way to lose, period.

Karranir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: May 12, 2012, 10:22:23 pm »

The moment I read 'baguette cut gem'... FACEPALM.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »

Really?  It's actually a rather common rectangular-fashioned step gem cut, right up there with the emerald cut (which is basically a baguette with the corners trimmed).  Mind you, it's never used for anything more than an accent, but it's very lovely nonetheless.
Then again, dwarf bread is supposed to be hard enough that you could cut diamonds with it...

For my part, I ran into the waterfall bug.  I got my first batch of migrants on the wrong side of a canyon river, and while I was building a quick bridge to get them across, they decided to drop by the tributary river that flowed into the canyon for a drink, and instead dropped into the drink.  Lost half of them that way, and since it was so early in the year, I decided to put together half a dozen proper coffins and wait until winter (when the rivers freeze) to retrieve the bodies.  I literally barely made it as the ghosts started appearing in my stockpile, which freaked out one of the poor survivors (whose wife was among those who went over, which was also still worrying him).  Ah, fun times, and not even a year in.  Shame the evil weather turned out to be another wash (a light fever, really?).  What I really want are husks and hilarity, maybe spontaneous regeneration of undead, all sorts of instant fun. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:55:17 pm by Culise »

superkret

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: May 14, 2012, 06:36:25 am »

I embarked in a wonderful biome full of metals and ores, right next to a volcano. My dwarves feared there might be dangerous wildlife around, so they brought weapons and bronze armor instead of food and booze. After all, you can harvest plants and brew drinks when you arrive, right?
Well, when they got there, everything shiny and bronze-colored was immediately stolen by keas. And the landscape was hidden under a thick layer of snow, so no plants to gather. It just turned into a race against time to dig down, plow a farm plot and get some plump helmets before everyone dehydrates (or dealcohols).
The dwarves were almost dying when finally Urist Brewer announced he had brewed drinks from the complete first season's harvest of mushrooms.

He then rolled the barrels out and DROPPED THEM IN A SWAMP!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: May 14, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »

I embarked in a wonderful biome full of metals and ores, right next to a volcano. My dwarves feared there might be dangerous wildlife around, so they brought weapons and bronze armor instead of food and booze. After all, you can harvest plants and brew drinks when you arrive, right?
Well, when they got there, everything shiny and bronze-colored was immediately stolen by keas. And the landscape was hidden under a thick layer of snow, so no plants to gather. It just turned into a race against time to dig down, plow a farm plot and get some plump helmets before everyone dehydrates (or dealcohols).
The dwarves were almost dying when finally Urist Brewer announced he had brewed drinks from the complete first season's harvest of mushrooms.

He then rolled the barrels out and DROPPED THEM IN A SWAMP!

I am pretty sure that you can gather plants even when they are covered by the embark snow.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: May 14, 2012, 07:14:13 pm »

Yes, you can gather snowy plants. So kind of a double face palm there.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 729