Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2182789 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6255 on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:17 am »

Decided to try my hand at adventure mode. Go north, find a tomb. Pick the lock. Open the casket.

Oh. So that's why there's 30 corpses in this room.

Best part? Mummy raised my corpse, and it killed my companions :-D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: May 07, 2012, 06:24:08 am »

practice on some wildlife first, like rabbits
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: May 07, 2012, 11:13:06 am »

practice on some wildlife first, like rabbits

Ya, I'd fought some boars on the way in, just didn't click that the mummy would raise em:p

There wasn't a facepalm thread in that forum that I saw, by the way, which is why I stuck it in here :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: May 07, 2012, 02:16:49 pm »

OK, my last siege didn't go so well.  I won, but my military was cut in half (though they took out about three goblins/trolls for every dwarf that went down).

So, since I didn't have time to get a new military up in time for the next siege, I planned ahead and made sure I could wait out the next siege.  I built a couple of bridges across the river that cut my map in half (getting rid of the old floor across it that I was using), hooked 'em up to some levers, and made sure everything I needed was inside (sadly, I didn't have time to enclose my pastures either).

Anyways, the elves show up to trade, and shortly after they get inside "A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived!"  After the siegers all get on the map, they're over 100 strong (including mounts), which I could never have handled.  After wiping out all of my pastured animals, all of the siegers are on the opposite side of the river from me, except for the general's mounted squad.  So, seeing a good opportunity, I pull up the bridges, leaving only 16 mounted combatants on my side of the river.

The goblin general, mounted on his giant toad sits with his squad near the edge of the river for a while.  I come back a while later and the general is on the other side of the river somehow.  "Huh? ... Oh!  He's mounted on a giant toad!  That's probably how.  Hmmm... wouldn't it be funny if..."  The words were barely out of my mouth when the toad crossed halfway back across the river with the general astride it, and it stopped there.  In the middle of the river.  Underwater.

Yeah, the general of the army attacking me drowned in the river because of his stupid amphibious mount.  I've never facepalmed in joy before.  :D
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: May 07, 2012, 02:49:21 pm »

the recruit that has been imprisoned is happier than his squad mates. Some people will do anything to escape military service...
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

kiselomlqko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Diablo 3 Guide
« Reply #6260 on: May 09, 2012, 04:24:26 am »

A siege occurs; I decree that only soldiers can go outside.

Every plebe dwarf three squares from the entrance runs further outside and has their legs broken and dogs murdered by hammergoblins.

I guess if dwarves are already outside they don't think to run inside past all the cage traps they put in for just this purpose.

It is for this reason that I read 'Fisherdwarf' as 'Lone Victim'.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #6261 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:07 am »

Overseer cancels play Dwarf Fortress, blinded by Microcline Trade Depot.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:10 pm »

Embarked to a temperate area, high savagery, evil biome as maybe my third or fourth fort, no experience with military or siegeworks.  Hilarity enough, right?  Not according to my dwarves, because halfway through digging out a safe point to put everything underground before the first weather hits (which is what wrecked my first attempt at an evil embark), I suddenly get interrupted with a death message saying my (only) mason drowned.  Confused, I go back up to the surface and look over to my wagon...or where my wagon used to be.  Turns out that the dwarves parked the wagon right on a small frozen lake; the ice melted and dropped all of my supplies except one or two barrels and a roll of rope into the drink, along with my mason.

Since then, I've always checked where the wagon is parked first thing if it's winter. 

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:08 pm »

Made a little execution chamber for the resident vampire... it took me a while to find the bastard.

It was a self-triggering one, with a nice little lever for him to pull - 'cept I forgot to set the profile.

Yeeaaaah. Thankfully I caught it in time.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: May 09, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »

Embarked to a temperate area, high savagery, evil biome as maybe my third or fourth fort, no experience with military or siegeworks.  Hilarity enough, right?  Not according to my dwarves, because halfway through digging out a safe point to put everything underground before the first weather hits (which is what wrecked my first attempt at an evil embark), I suddenly get interrupted with a death message saying my (only) mason drowned.  Confused, I go back up to the surface and look over to my wagon...or where my wagon used to be.  Turns out that the dwarves parked the wagon right on a small frozen lake; the ice melted and dropped all of my supplies except one or two barrels and a roll of rope into the drink, along with my mason.

Since then, I've always checked where the wagon is parked first thing if it's winter.

At this point it has to be agreed that Dwarves are in fact the worst drivers in the history of the universe.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: May 09, 2012, 08:50:55 pm »

TURN LEFT DAMMIT!

NO I LIKE THIS LAKE THE ICE IS THICK ENOUGH!

NO IT IS NOT ITS GONNA MELT!!

NO!

YES!

*urist mcmason has drowned*
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: May 10, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »

Well, atleast your cargo is safe from kobolds now. A dead mason, meh. Dwarves are a renewable resource and ment to be "used". (Unless it is a evil biome. Then they will be "reusable".)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: May 10, 2012, 02:50:59 pm »

TURN LEFT DAMMIT!

NO I LIKE THIS LAKE THE ICE IS THICK ENOUGH!

NO IT IS NOT ITS GONNA MELT!!

NO!

YES!

*urist mcmason has drowned*

Urist McSmartass siddles over

"is this a good time to tell you about traffic designations?"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: May 10, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »

Ready animal man killing room. forget that mothmen can fly.

facepalm and order nearby herbalist to kill it.

Not lifethreatening, but it was a pretty big facepalm, since the hole it got out of was a flop of a caravan tunnel.

casper2222

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »

turns out i had an incoming goblin siege... i drafted all my dwarves into the military and equipped them... u would think the goblins were the threat... my first brave dwarf donned his steel armor and steel mace... and went beserk... i thought oh well... it wont be too bad wont it... the other dwarfs are equipping aswell... i had a population of 50 dwarfs... he slaughtered every single one of em... then the goblins came... poor goblins... none escaped... i will never look the same at a carpenter again...  *edit* afterwards the carpenter drowned...
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 729