Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142156 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Fun with indoor pools
« Reply #615 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:35 am »

My second worst facepalm moment came when I came under siege and ordered every ballista at my fortress (seven or so in total) to fire at will, naively assuming this meant they'd fire when they had an enemy in their sight. Not so.

My next, and biggest, face palm moment came when I had dug a deep shaft under a pond (with many, many cave-ins, wounded dwarves and casualties, hey, this was my first go at this!) and realized, after basically digging away the pond and leaving a rectangular hole where it used to be, that when you dig away ponds, you don't get water accumulation any more from rainfall on those tiles. OK, I think, so I'll build an awesome system where an underground channel connects the pool to the resident river. When I pull a lever, the door at the end of the channel opens, sending water cascading through the channel and plummeting in an awesome waterfall down into the pool several floors down. Turn the lever again, and the door shuts on the water.

Now, at this point I'd learned something about water and flood risk. I'd flooded small sections of another fortress already, so I took precautions - I put floor tiles over the channel to keep water from running its borders and since I didn't want dwarves sucked in by the torrent of water (why I was worried about this when I had covered the opening in the floor by grates is beyond me :-\ ), I made the cut into the river diagonally from above the channel. Of course this would make water come flooding in, but I had a series of walls set for construction that would keep this leakage out.

Not. I had underestimated, greatly, the power of the water that would come flowing in. Immediately the tile next to the door was getting a torrent of 5/7 water, construction of the walls became impossible, I realized the torrent couldn't be stopped, and all I could do was build two doors to stop the flood from claiming the whole fortress.

End result: entire shaft flooded up to the level of the river, room with the door flooded to 7/7. Had I not put in the layers of safety precautions, primarily doors blocking the shaft from the rest of the fortress, my whole fortress could easily been lost. But the nightmare still wasn't over - another dwarf managed to drown himself by opening the door (sending a torrent of water into my Workshop Level that it took quite a while and a new drain to get rid of), entering the flooded pool, shutting the door behind him, and only then realizing that the damned shaft was full of water.

But no, the cursed pool of death was not done claiming lives. I had made the best out of my situation by making the edge of the pool a statue garden and designating it as a drinking and fishing area. My dwarves loved the idyllic surroundings and seemed to have forgiven me for my big mess-up... that is, until a goblin siege arrived, I ordered everyone inside, and the goblin archers took up position on the surface at the edge of the shaft and gleefully opened fire on the dwarves taking refuge below them. Result, at least two more dead.

I now plan to reclaim the shaft by diverting the channel into the neighbourhood magma pipe, for then to pump the water out of the shaft somehow. Knowing my success so far right, I'll probably not succeed without partially flooding a floor, caving in several tiles, and leaving more miners bed-ridden or in coffins.

(edit) Had another one just now. I'm having my ballista/catapult crews fire practice shots, and valiantly scanned the wilderness to ensure no one would get hit by the arrows and rocks I fired. No prob, even though a couple animals and disturbingly many dwarves I didn't spot for whatever reason came only a tile or three from being skewered by projectiles.

Disaster struck when I after many successful catapult shots ordered my first ballista to fire. Scanned countryside, countryside clear. Fired ballista, insta-killed ballista operator's pet cow, who was hanging out with his/her owner inside the pillbox, in front of the ballista.

Future versions could perhaps give me a "[Artillery crewman] suspends/cancels Fire Ballista: too high friendly fire risk".
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:21:30 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #616 on: December 05, 2009, 10:18:23 am »

I accidentally killed a cat with catapult fire instead of the peasant I was aiming at once. I really needed that cat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:08 am »

My self destruct ( purge ) system worked really well, in fact I was so amazed that I forgot it was over the meeting hall, I only knew what hit me when the fort collapsed screen alight my screen.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 05, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »

My favorite fortress is one of the early 40d variants, named Thobtishak-GirderTyphoons.

Anyway, I'd been avoiding Thobtishak for a while due to OH GOD GOBLINS. I finally reopen it, and spend a while having my team of six legendary miners dig about, training others, et al.

Finally, I get to the point where I can't really do anything else; my tower is getting pretty tall, but I've run out of wood to make beds, can't find any more lignite to burn into coke, and the remainder of the areas I wanted to dig out were all boundary walls to the outside.

My military was smaller than it might have been, but nevertheless a force to be reckoned with. I take my most promising (read: any) Recruits, put them under whichever soldier has kills to their name, and build a set of airlocks so that any gobbos that might get past them wouldn't get any farther than my trap-filled entrance hall.

By the time my squad of dorfs get outside, I notice the goblins have left. Confused, I look up-and notice that the Siege tag is gone.

While I'd been preparing, the goblins had evidently decided "screw this" and left, the whole shebang of them heading to the north.

They killed four of my favorite Masons and one of said masons' kids. I'm kinda pissed that my dorfs didn't get revenge.

Thankfully, a Human caravan showed up to ease my frustration a bit, and there was still a great variety of wonderful things from the Goblins. My remaining Masons set to work building the things I'd designated while waiting for the gobbos to leave, and I relaxed.

I need to get enough old computers to finish my Beowulf Cluster so I can PROPERLY flood Thobtishak's Primary Farming Complex. Half-muddied, it has nine full-size farms; fully muddied, I'd be able to clean out the caravans even more thoroughly than I do already!

For an idea, have a look below-even though it's been expanded since.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 05, 2009, 07:59:00 pm »

I take it you accidentally hit "quote" instead of "modify?"
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 06, 2009, 04:08:49 am »

Le snip~
We interupt this topic to bring you this breaking news!

I freaking love your avatar.
That is all.

We now resume your scheduled topic.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 06, 2009, 06:45:42 pm »

Just pressed 'n' on the Embark screen for the first time. Ever. *facepalm*
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 07, 2009, 12:20:43 am »

Once when I was very new I embarked between a waterfall and a magma pipe that were nearly both visible at the same time.  I decided to build an obidian spire of doom suspended directly above the magma.  For some reason I assumed pipe magma was hot enough to just perpetually re melt obsidian so the first thing I did was drain the river strait into the magma pipe to permanently encase the whole place in mist.  The top of the pipe froze over but not before a miner fell in and melted, then the world flooded, my FPS drpped waaayyy down and I abandoned.

I reimbarked with a ton of dorfs and limited space space and alcohal so it took a while to set up a proper base for them.  After that I figured I would just collapse floors and dump stones into the river until it was dammed off, but that of course didn't work and wasted alot of time. 

Then I tried to open up the little waterworks so much that I could build floodgates in the shallow water and then close them.  That worked partially but invaders killed some people and caused delays and at some point I had to pitch some useless unhappy dorfs into the river.  I got a few floodgates in place but at some point the whole canyon/depression thing I was in flooded so much the whole area around the river diversion was inaccesable while the rest of it was becoming a huge lake and just killing my FPS.

I finally decided on a last ditch effort to pilliage the next caravan and make/get enough picks to mine out most of a Z level and just drain everything down there so workers could go in, seal the holes in the river and clean up the huge mess I made.  Before that happened tantrums started happening so I unforbided everything and hoped they would go collect socks and junk until they were happy, but basically that caused everything to shut down as everyone started pathing all the way around my gigantic lake to go grab stuff. 

To provide food I sent a swarm of dorfs to go hunt everything on the map but oops, I had disarmed everybody at some point to reduce the tantrum fatality rate and so they wrestled with elks and that caused some death and unhappyness.  Somehow (tantrum?) the front doors got stuck open by rocks and clothes and the only entrances flooded.  Most dorfs got stuck on this big hill in the middle of the lake in the rain and just mass tantrumed and butchered each other with picks.  One long facepalm after another but I learned that water and magma are srs bizness and planning is required.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:23:18 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2009, 12:27:34 am »

My latest fort, there were three fires, the fist killed four, and to beasts of burden, the second killed two, the third destroyed the food, drink, the barrels, and the wagon.

I could have prevented the deaths if I drafted them and made the run to the other side of the brook instead of going through the fire to the meeting haul.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 09, 2009, 02:51:58 pm »

First death on my new fortress was a baby falling down a soon-to-be well.

T_T

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 09, 2009, 09:28:48 pm »

Got a doozy. I found a nice place to live, magma, river, multiple layers composed almost entirely of obsidian. Would be nice place to set up shop. As is my custom, I used a saved profile, intended to make my own weapons; bring three bauxite and at least three tower-cap logs, since I've modded steel to be free of charge and fuel. My chosen home civ lacks bauxite, so I did without for the moment, and chose to replace the bauxite with extra wood and food. Immediately upon embarkation I realized that I had neither stone to build metalworking with, nor pick to obtain stone with, nor even material to mod to fire-safety.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 09, 2009, 09:34:55 pm »

I accidentally killed a cat with catapult fire instead of the peasant I was aiming at once. I really needed that cat.

Silly Shonus, catapults don't hurt dorfs!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31:51 am »

First death on my new fortress was a baby falling down a soon-to-be well.

T_T

Its parents probably died. They tend to suicide if their folks die.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 10, 2009, 06:43:13 am »

Just whinged about why my dorfs had stopped eating plant matter and starving...

Then remembered, I edited the creature entry to make them carnivous...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 10, 2009, 06:45:57 am »

Saw a group of dwarves running towards my fort.
Did nothing...

... Forgot i was playing as Gobbo's.
I have three left... Of 120.
Art is a Blast
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 729