Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141520 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5880 on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:08 am »

Ordered some pikedwarves to kill an insane diplomat,and noticing they started killing eachother (Well, more specifically they sarted attacking everyone EXCEPT the diplomat)

I didn't notice that it was a "Gone batshit crazy" case instead of the normal "Flipshit and kill everyone" I normally get.

I both facepalmed and savescummed.

That my friend, is what we call a loyality cascade.
Those can be very fun to handle once started.  ;D

Yeah. Not when you have 4 near legendary fighter+pikedwarves tearing everyone apart, and effectivly being a meat grinder for your civilization. Litarally. Hence the savescum. Sucks too cause I had a road half finished and just bought a bunch of giant emu for fighting animals from the dwarven caravan.

Honestly i don't think kill orders on insane diplomats should cause that, but oh well. An interesting note is those random useless traders who pop up with migrants are supposed to be merchants. They just got thier.... maybe 8 months too early and had to sit and wait.

agapetos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vegantletika
« Reply #5881 on: February 29, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »

For about a two years I've been having vampire atacks inside the fort. It took me some time and patience to find that one among 200 dwarfs, and finally found one. In the meantime I've decided to make my own vampire uber-killing-machine-squad. Now that I've had my dwarf in a secluded room only one thing remained: I've had to injure him somehow that he bleeds a little and then to build a well over it, where other dwarfs (also secluded) will drink water from and become vamps them selves.
Now the problem was that "Only to injure him"... I've tried the following:
- Trap with upward training spear - didn't work for him for some reason - even though I've set it on a repeat.
* (this one is good) - throwing a cat on him from two stories above him... - he moved for some reason and cat survived.
- Tried the spear trap again - he survived, the cat that attached to him.... well... blody mess (but not vampire's blood).. so the trap works, but not for him  >:(
- Installed four spears in the new trap... still it did not work
- Finally, I cut a block above him (only one block), and it fell on him... *** THE FACEPALM MOMENT *** It seams that vampires don't just get a small wound that way... they get crushed, and the worst thing...... HE DID NOT BLEED!
Now I'm left without the vampire, the seed of my vamp army.
HINT: Don't crush vampires if you want them to bleed

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:10 pm »

A migrant wave came, and not wanting to bother with drowning tests or anything I just did the name test thing on all of them.  One turned out to be a vamp so I designated a burrow for him and told him to start smoothing the whole thing down.  He went to his burrow and only encountered about 4 dwarves on his way there.  He started work like a good little dwarf so I locked him up and checked on the vamp 1 Z level above him (who was a great book keeper so I used him for free managing labor, figures a dwarf born for noble duties would be a blood sucker) and he was fine too, neither had any way of getting to other dwarves.  A good amount of time passed in game and I saw I had a mandate, I looked at it and laughed, thinking to myself "Learn to live with disappointment mayor..." but then I saw the name of the mayor, it was the vamp busy smoothing his room  :o

I checked on him and he was still in his burrow locked up tight, I checked on his relations and he didn't have a single freind/passing acquaintance, and only 1 diety.  I can only imagine how he became mayor.

*Dwarfs meet to vote for a mayor*
Dwarf 1:  I vote for the guy in that room over there.
Dwarf 2:  Someone lives over there?  I thought it was just an empty room.
Dwarf 3:  Yah, you  can hear him moan every now and then, I vote for him too.
Dwarf 2:  Thats a dwarf?  I thought it was just a hurt dog or something making the noise.
Dwarf 1:  *Goes over to locked door*   Hey!  Potentially non-existent and/or crazy dwarf, your our new mayor, have fun!
Vamp Mayor:  *Demands that all dwarfs sleep in his burrow.*

This happened to me as well, only for a Vamp fish dissector that I have locked on the surface.  It was too bad as I was gonna burrow him in offending nobles bedrooms and now she is the noble.  However, she loves floodgates and thus is an awesome noble.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: March 01, 2012, 12:08:07 pm »

I just discovered the map view option in legends mode. Previously I've been wishing I could look at a map:p Discovered it while looking through the 1.3 MILLION historical events on this new world I genned... Good grief, the Age of Heroes, 900k alone.

Large world, 1050 history.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »

I've got three worlds. One had 300000 hist figs before DF began to conk out at year 550, which was the Age of Twilight (civilisations are peaceful, but are too weak to expand or are crumbling apart)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:08 am »

Was attacked by a titan. Died in one punch from a baby. Too bad orphan babies inevetably die of thirst...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: March 02, 2012, 07:09:20 am »

im sure im not the first that had this happen but... building a floodgate then releasing magma in the chamber, but not noticing i used non-magma safe mechanisms and watch the gate fly down the corridor a moment later, and squish the miner :(

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: March 02, 2012, 10:44:33 am »

RARRARHGH. My melee Mcap (hardly any skill nor gear yet) is secretive and wants cloth. I promptly told a shearer to drop everything and get to work with shearing, spinning and weaving. She built a loom, made rope reed fiber cloth. Captain did not move to fetch it. She sheared the only sheep, span it (spun it?), weaved it. Captain still sits. That means he wants silk. AARHG. I HAVE NOT FOUND THE CAVERNS YET.

Edit, just in case, I'm walling the captain in. I'd much much much prefer him to finish the mood as he likes spears and breastplates and is working at a forge, but still.

Edit2; Also, Bunkus the kobold shanked a woodcutter in the hand as he was about to cut wood.

Edit3; -46 first spotting of first cavern level. -47 has giant cave spider web.

Edit4; hah. I have a fisherdwarf looking like he's 79 with one friend; an eleven year old boy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edi5; yess the captain (who turns out to be a lady Dwarf) started with the bolt of giant cave spider silk I had made. Ruff rubicelles, copper bars, stray horse left floating rib bone (14), cedar logs, cave spider silk cloth. I'd had to slaughter the horse specifically for this as well and originally she wanted to use nickel or zinc or something.

Edit6; a ring.  >:( She was dabbling armoursmith, weaponsmith and metal crafter and she chose to make a ring despite loving spears and breastplates. oh well, legendary metal crafter is nice, I suppose. Masterful lead flasks for everyone!

EDIT 7 GNNN GOBLIN STOLE ONE OF MY CHILLUNS DAMMIT. One of the Dwars who had pursued the Goblin wasthe childs Grandfather and both are named Nil.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:23:18 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:54 pm »

Got a nice shallow 5x5 surrounding a tiny lake, got a nice fort, the first wagon just left with a crapload of meals, and I've just pulled the bridge so I can be left in peace until the elven caravan. Set the labours of all 19 dwarves, switched those other two mining jobs from founding military to migrant, squadded everyone up so I'd know where the potential recruits could be found... and then I find out that the entity mod I made hadn't gone through for some reason, and all the clothing was set to vanilla frequencies instead of all the good stuff being FORCED frequency. My civilisation doesn't know how to make a mail shirt. How the hell does that even happen? I hope it doesn't require a regen if I swap the information in one clothing entry for another, because the mod alters worldgen enough to lose me the site.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: March 02, 2012, 10:34:49 pm »

>I noticed drinks are low, and I haven't built a well yet
>WELP TIME TO BUILD A WELL *blindly channels*
>notice a bit later that half of my fort is flooded

God.
Damnit.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: March 03, 2012, 01:19:41 am »

>I noticed drinks are low, and I haven't built a well yet
>WELP TIME TO BUILD A WELL *blindly channels*
>notice a bit later that half of my fort is flooded

God.
Damnit.

LOL, I have the exact same facepalm about 3 pages back:p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up to 169 immigrants, needing to finish off the last block of bedrooms to accomodate them. So I order the manager to make 30 cabinets and 30 coffers.

I come back over later, start building... For some reason, not a single coffer.

Then I notice all the coffins in my stockpile.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: March 03, 2012, 01:20:07 am »

Well, at least you're prepared.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: March 03, 2012, 01:24:24 am »

Up to 169 immigrants, needing to finish off the last block of bedrooms to accomodate them. So I order the manager to make 30 cabinets and 30 coffers.
I come back over later, start building... For some reason, not a single coffer.
Then I notice all the coffins in my stockpile.

That has got to be the best mess up ever with containers.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:18 am »

Back on my favorite 15-year-old 31.25 fort, notice a lever that I'd forgotten the purpose of. Decide to have it pulled, turns out I'd once converted the atom smashing room into the mayors bedroom. He was having a meeting with my legendary blacksmith at the time too.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: March 03, 2012, 03:34:31 am »

Back on my favorite 15-year-old 31.25 fort, notice a lever that I'd forgotten the purpose of. Decide to have it pulled, turns out I'd once converted the atom smashing room into the mayors bedroom. He was having a meeting with my legendary blacksmith at the time too.

"So we need that order of-"

**CLUNK**

"Did you hear that?"
"What was tha-"

**SQUISH**
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 729