Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141594 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5475 on: December 17, 2011, 12:12:59 pm »

one of my first successful forts gets destroyed by a forced restart x.x

Kimril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: December 17, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »

had a dwarf dig deep down into caverns, and i was like 'ohgod i need to close that off' destroyed the stairs he got stuck and later eaten by a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
that was milling around down there.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: December 17, 2011, 04:30:07 pm »

Definitely a facepalm at the idea of the DF forums having a thriving MLP community.  I mean, isn't that sorta like putting Barny the Dinosaur up next to Jack the Ripper?
Even then you can make a comparison.

Dinosaur--->Killer

Dwarven Way--->Grimdark as fuck

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: December 17, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »

Definitely a facepalm at the idea of the DF forums having a thriving MLP community.  I mean, isn't that sorta like putting Barny the Dinosaur up next to Jack the Ripper?

Brony hater detected. Warm up the friendship cannon?
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: December 17, 2011, 10:43:15 pm »

Brony hater detected. Warm up the friendship cannon?

Please go to a different thread for that.  Some people aren't slavishly salivating over a cartoon aimed at 10 year olds, and would prefer not to have to wade through pages of meaningless fluff just to see new and impressive ways people have screwed up.

My most recent facepalm involved starting a fort with nothing(I removed all the picks and axes and food and stuff) to see if I could.  The good news is that the second test worked.  The first test I lost my miner to dehydration immediately after the ponds thawed.  I abandoned after I started losing dwarves to dehydration before the caravan showed up.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Troopperi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: December 18, 2011, 05:00:07 am »

I didn't read know that when building a floor, I could simply choose the whole floors materials with shift+enter, instead of clicking fourty times "quartzite block".
I was going to change the name of battle axe to Dane axe but the I realized that there are no Danish in DF.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:02 am »

realizing, right as I run out of wood for the season, that I'm out of barrels, and have 7 units of booze left.
Fortunately, the caravan came almost 2 minutes later. With all the wood I asked for.

Also: That's an interesting metaphor there, necro.
I'm sure I'll forget in the morning though. ^^

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: December 19, 2011, 12:17:07 am »

realizing, right as I run out of wood for the season, that I'm out of barrels, and have 7 units of booze left.
Fortunately, the caravan came almost 2 minutes later. With all the wood I asked for.
Rock pots also work as booze containers.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: December 19, 2011, 01:39:07 am »

So. While plinking away at a FB of ice, for so long that every single bodypart of it was broken and riddled with bolts, I finally gave up trying and decided to send in the melee guys since crossbowers obviously weren't doing shit.

This thing had a deadly dust attack though, so I didn't really like the idea, but "luckily" the squad sent in was mainly composed of guys who fell victim to a poison gas FB attack earlier and had most of their skin removed during surgery. Advanced rot, and all that jazz.

Well anyway, there was trouble. First was that along the FB, a giant spider arrived. Just a normal cave critter so ehh. What's the worst that could happen?

Well, it's that the spider would decide to attack along the FB, making a beeline for the fort once the perimeter wall was torn down. And of course about a few moments later I found out that A) it's hard to fight a FB when it's accompanied by a webspitter and B) the deadly dust was the sort that makes you bleed to death in a few moments.

As luck would have it though, the militia captain of the squad did everyone a favor and bisected the FB a few seconds before they bursted into a shower of gore. The spider? It killed a miner. The last survivor of the squad engaged and killed the beast before it could kill anyone else, so for the time being, threat eliminated.

Except that a mason took the miners death pretty badly. So badly that they went to complain to the mayor. While tantruming. And the mayors pet pig arrived to the same room they were holding the meeting in.

In hindsight, giving a Civvie outfit(to combat deadly blood epidemics) along a personal weapon for everyone was a bad idea, considering how the mason chopped the pig to pieces. The mayor took it badly, went Unhappy, and the Mason was put in jail for 200 days.

Situation solved, right? There was also a tantruming jeweler who attacked a pet metroid and tried to kill a metalcrafter(who parried blows like a boss despite no military training) that got jailed but anyway.

A while later I get the announcement that the old mayors mandates are over. Reason why was simple. They had gone from Unhappy to Miserable and babbling insane in a matter of few weeks. Why? I have no god damn idea.

They were a good mayor too. Only wanted trifle pewter and beds. The new one wants at cabinets so far, but they got native gold and bolts down in the list too. At least it'd be some variety.

Oh and the mason? They died in prison. After the first few times dwarves brought them food and water, no one visited by the time they had 50 days to go. At least there were no cases of unhappiness resulting from the death of the old mayor and the mason.

But still, I'm down 4 seasoned and skilled military dorfs thanks to one fucking FB and it's hard to find replacements in a 20 years old fort. What with everyone having friends that'd miss them if they had a gruesome horrible death.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: December 19, 2011, 08:02:51 am »

next time collapse the ceiling on the FB if it has deadly dust or something similarly hateful
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:43 am »

I considered it, but it was moving every while and so at random patterns.
And the fort has to end one day. Chances are it'll be a deadly dust creature. Probably one that can fly.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5486 on: December 19, 2011, 12:55:08 pm »

"oh, i'll close the bridge so the siege can't come in".
"wait a second, why aren't they closing the bridges?!"
"MOVE IT! WHAT ARE YOU...drop point inaccessible?"
"oh no! burrows do not cover the lever for the bridge!".
*FACE PALM*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:05 pm »

Actually having a dorf get hit with a bolt to the knee. Although it's not nearly as bad as a spear to the foot.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: December 19, 2011, 03:18:16 pm »

Actually having a dorf get hit with a bolt to the knee. Although it's not nearly as bad as a spear to the foot.
Recruit him into the guard  :P

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: December 19, 2011, 06:16:42 pm »

Bonus points if he complains to a visiting adventurer...oh how close I've come to having epic fails when my trap room doesn't do its job or I'm trying to use the goblin-hurling-epic-defensive-bridge-of-doom (TM) and the dorfs are too busy staring at a statue of a legendary military dwarf beheading a groundhog to bother pulling the levers until I have 20 elite goblin spearmen in my fort's demense.
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 729