Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141555 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4965 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »

Okay, this one is going to be done in character.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was really a series of rapid facepalms for me.

After these events, I decided to continue. The fort was getting better and the fixings were going good.

Then migrants show up, none of them had decent skills in anything so managing was mostly going to be a pain in the butt and I put the game down for a while. Like a month or so.

Today, I picked up the fort and managed every back to full working force. After a siege left, I let the dwarves outside to collect bodies for the 20+ ghost that were running around. This actually went without any problems.

I also have a dwarf named 007, he's a mason and I assigned to build a wall. I needed grazing lands for my animals that graze and wasn't going to get it with out a wall. The wall went well. Then 007 went on a mood. He was the only reason I have the door open, but I forgot which dwarf was doing the building. Well, after a bit I noticed and sent a second dwarf on task. THIS WAS MY MISTAKE. I thought the project would get done fast, but didn't pay attention to how much time past when nobody was working on the wall.

A vile force of darkness arrives. SHOO~T! The came blasting in with cross bows blazing and a herd of trolls. They got to my door so fast I was speechless. I had no time at all to retaliate. No time to turtle in either. Then I watch as a flood of dwarves come down the main hallway, see the goblins and start to try to go back. But this was like watching a 10 car pile-up try to avoid machine gun fire. The goblins continued to the living quarters and killed every dwarf they could find. Then they stayed down there checking out the rooms. But... my fort was still going. I check one dwarf. The replacement mason had sealed himself in the grazing area prior to the siege.

The trolls though went and started demolishing my legendary dining room. Though at first I was wondering what they were doing, the trolls formed an odd half rectangle around the tables and chairs and were standing a space away from anything. Then I notice the tables and chairs were breaking.

Then three trolls broke off of the fun and started to walk away. Here. I began to laugh my head off. I realized where they were going. My water reserves were just north of the dining room and connected to the brook on that floor. Hahaha. They busted down the door and the water came bursting out. Then the trolls took their time demolishing everything I built on that floor. Then they headed to the bedrooms and crypt. They start hanging out with the goblins... went water starts poring down in the floor. They can't get out because pressure from above was coming down. They backed away from the water, me laughing as they did. Then... my last dwarf died of dehydration. SHOO~T!

Though I did get one more laugh. I recently found out how to look up info on the wars in Legends Mode (that in itself a facepalm) and looked up the most recent siege. That's when I noticed the name of the war the goblins declared on my fort. "The War of Rapes" I laughed, because from my perspective that is what happened. The goblins overpowered me so often and met so little resistance due to the fact I was constantly trying to get the fort back in order from the first big mistake. A militia wasn't even slightly possible due lack of armor and weapons, which I was attempting to forge. But it all stemmed from that first mistake in my previous post. I needed one piece of wood to get the smelting process started and I blew that. From that point on I just couldn't get the fort quite back to full production due to other mistakes.

Well, at least this was an amusing experience with Dig Deeper Gold.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:47:08 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: September 02, 2011, 04:31:29 am »

Didn't know that invaders claim doors they enter so you can't lock them, got my shit slapped due to it.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: September 02, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »

Didn't know that invaders claim doors they enter so you can't lock them, got my shit slapped due to it.

Same thing to doors that get unlocked by enemies that can do that. It's actually worse than having the door ripped down, because you don't always notice the door has been tampered with.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: September 02, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »

Lowered drawbridge, which killed a guy, then trying to raise it at ambush, which trapped a third of my fort outside, which I then opened to have almost all of my militia die.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: September 02, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »

I constructed a three-level anti-goblin entrance. 
Level 1 -- two-part drawbridge to the depot, over the pit.
Level 2 -- archer fortifications over...
Level 3 -- the "goblin processing plant," an incomplete trap maze which is entered / exited through stairs before & after the level 1 drawbridge.

When the first ambush happened, I raised the bridges and fed the goblins through the plant to a waiting line of cage traps.  One of the goblins was killed by crossbow on the way.

...Hey, why is a diplomat down in the maze?  Where is my carefully selected, low demand, future mayor/baron?  Oh, I guess he's getting murdered since he's one of the few people not in the militia who is free to go pick up goblin socks since I forgot to exclude the goblin maze from my safe zone burrow.  *facepalm*

Cue tantrum spiral and a futile fight to rebuild critical buildings as my mechanic / architect goes on a tantrum spree of murder and vandalism, ending in him going berserk.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: September 03, 2011, 11:54:09 am »

Forgot to set the forbid items on death, though had the dwarves ignoring everything outside, that does not work on store owned items though, Migrant gets killed by a Roc, so Gem setter mom and baby are out to take ownership on something that migrant owned get killed by the roc, then the youngest daughter gets killed by same roc, while trying to store owned item, later the husband gets beaked by the Roc, also storing owned item, and then the eldest and last child follows in dad's footsteps and feeds the Roc's reputation.

Lots of Z levels and bodies scattered all over the place thwarted my attempts to find and forbid every last Xcave spider silk sockX,

I eventually managed to kill the ROC and it's neighborly Dragon at the cost of another 10 dwarves. fortunately everybody is just passing aquaintences, only spotted one red arrow on 1 dwarf, so looks like no tantrum spiral this time. (no meeting rooms),

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: September 03, 2011, 02:06:08 pm »

Not really facepalm moment, but it was funny...
"Siege Engineer cancels dump item: Handling dangerous creature"
While taking a cat to Pen....
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »

^That happens to me a lot when I'm trying to milk goats. Wonder why.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:53 pm »

^That happens to me a lot when I'm trying to milk goats. Wonder why.

Probably accidentally took a male goat. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:58 am »

Anything with hooves will fuck your shit up.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: September 04, 2011, 08:05:00 pm »

Putting wooden menacing spikes instead of wooden spears in a danger room which I placed so every dwarf would have to pass through.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: September 05, 2011, 01:15:53 am »

Knowing about macros in game AFTER doing most important things, even in adventurer mode when you train up knapping/archery...

Wait...This isn't much of a facepalm, I learned how to increase my FPS in typing.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4977 on: September 05, 2011, 06:52:46 am »

Putting wooden menacing spikes instead of wooden spears in a danger room which I placed so every dwarf would have to pass through.

Even wooden spears can be deadly to pets and babies.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: September 05, 2011, 12:27:46 pm »

Had a fortress that was never seiged, Ambushed or attacked.It got a total of 200 dwarfs, then, Mass starvation killed all but one. He later Drowned in "The River of hatred". I then checked why i wasnt getting seiged, I had invaders turned off. *Face meet foot*
Time to reclaim!
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Zorae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: September 06, 2011, 12:09:03 am »

A FB appeared and I ignored it since I usually don't go into the caverns and if I do I seal everything off. I soon got reports that people were dying. It was rampaging through my fort because I left the drawbridge between the caverns and my stairs down.

Or when I built a drawbridge between my stairs and some cotton candy I was after. I breached directly into the circus  :'( So I sent my squad in to distract the clowns and pulled what I thought was my drawbridge lever. And nothing happened. So I pulled every lever in my fort... and nothing happened. I had built the bridge lever, but never actually hooked it up. Because I had breached directly into the circus, I couldn't wall/floor off my stairs up higher in time.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 729