Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142416 times)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4770 on: July 23, 2011, 08:32:55 pm »

Realizing that a hoarde of chickens is more effective than your [SPEED:1] legendaryily trained dwarves... (Deon's Mod)

Seriously, like 12 chickens took out 2 or 3 legendary beasts, one of which was a giant zombie, with no casualties... That's not even the strange part to the fight either, because afterwards there was no sign of a corpse produced by said giant zombie... just a puff of smoke and a few chunks of flesh torn away during the fight... easiest clean-up job I ever assigned.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:12 pm »

i forgot to prepare carefully

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Roll with it. It's nice to have a trained diagnostician at the very least, but every other skill and item can be procured on-site. Unless you wanted to bring 400 rutile or something.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: July 24, 2011, 06:27:35 am »

In my current fort I had a glass maker suddenly be murdered. After checking the combat log and zooming into the location, I saw my Mayor and a militia dwarf standing over the body in a remote part of the fort. After scratching my head for about an hour, I finally found out that the glass maker was a criminal and the military dwarf was the CotG; I somehow managed to create a fortress guard squad rather than a regular militia squad. *facepalm*
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: July 24, 2011, 06:33:24 am »

...my kingdom for a horse.

That, sir, was an excellent read. And a perfect example of why I'm NEVER naming any of my dwarves after anyone I know.
Naming dwarves after people you know? Only if you hate them will it not turn out horribly.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: July 24, 2011, 06:48:59 am »

don't open your caverns if you got troglodytes in it and no military to take care of them.

it started with 1 kill, then 2, then a giant olm in my staircase, 1 more dead. then the spiral came, went down from 104 to 27, never was happier to see the message "some migrants have arrived". with their help, the coffins could be placed, effectively stopping the spiral at 17+5 migrants...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: July 24, 2011, 07:01:15 am »

This ties up with me learning about brokers. Part of how I learned without the wiki.

Adventure mode:
I had a legendary elf bow/swordsman who decimated all who were against the quest-givers.
I had tons of loot including steel weapons and some armor too large for me.

The best part of it was, to buy more ammo.
I took the weight (with the funny symbol next to the name) in shops as the price of the item.
So what happened was that I sold my steel weapons and armor (not including the weaker steel armor I was wearing) for a bunch of arrows and a new iron bow.

Somehow, I felt something was so wrong in trading and thought it as a bug...

(I'm familiar to roguelikes so I guess that is how I lived far enough.)

Fortress mode:
-Idler Haven-
--Trade caravan has arrived!--

"Hey Urist, we have any brokers?"
"No, I'll talk to em. I'm the best speaker there is anyway, who needs brokers."
"You gotta be one to trade."
"Oh, right. Fine but you go first, I'ma take a drink."

Urist Mc 1 goes off to trade, I find my predicament the same, thought weight was the price, began trading some chairs and tables for a barrel of ale and a leather bin.

"What in Armok's name do you think we are, elves?!"
"Err...the broker is busy drinking away an-"
"Get someone who knows what he is doing! I want a profit on this one and I'm not leaving till I get it!"
*Urist McBroker finishes up and pushes aside Urist Mc 1*
"So...what do we have-. By Litasts bloody finger! We have no trade goods!"
"But we have finely crafted chairs, tables and door-"
"They sell at 20-50 each. The goods we need are over 1000."

That is where I noticed, there was a funny symbol next to the weight.

That was the price of it all.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: July 24, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »

...my kingdom for a horse.

That, sir, was an excellent read. And a perfect example of why I'm NEVER naming any of my dwarves after anyone I know.
Naming dwarves after people you know? Only if you hate them will it not turn out horribly.

It makes for a good "What if?" story, though. Except the parts where my wife falls for everyone but me. *facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: July 25, 2011, 01:21:16 am »

My first fortress. I was trying to build a 6x6 (or something close to that) statue garden. I built it and filled it with lovely statues. I just had to channel the ceiling so my dwarves could see and greet the bright sun with a smile on their face. I designed the ground for channeling. Below 1 level, my little dwarves were eagerly waiting for the garden to be finished. In the end only thing they could see was the ceiling, collapsing on them.

My first cave-in experience.

Statue garden looked kinda nice with all the red tiles anyway.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: July 25, 2011, 06:03:55 am »

I've been experimenting with techniques to pierce aquifers...

I tried the pumping idea, which worked... well, not so well the first time. I decided to forgo the aqueduct to direct the water away the pumps - this ended with my expedition leader being washed into the tunnel through which the water was entering.

Fun times.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Vile Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
  • !!&!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: July 26, 2011, 12:23:58 am »

Oh, THAT lever... HA HA HA. Good times.

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: July 26, 2011, 11:09:52 am »

So, my expedition leader just went into a mood, grabbed 5 leathers, 2 cokes and a stone and made a leather sandal ...

(Massive facepalm as I had hoped for at least some armor ...) 

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »

Sometimes I wonder what the dwarves do with all the scrap material from artifacts.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:49 pm »

Sometimes I wonder what the dwarves do with all the scrap material from artifacts.
Eat them, probably.

vidyabro

• Bay Watcher
  • GET$MONEY$$$$$$$$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: July 26, 2011, 04:48:29 pm »

after building a small fort within a mountain i decided i should add a waterfall.

before this situation, i had always assumed water would just stop piling up once it hits 7/7 like it does in Minecraft.

so with that in mind, i had my miners go up to the top of the waterfall where the water would come from. i ran out of mechanisms and was eager to build the waterfall, so i just had them dig right into the water source.

it pushed them off the top and they either drowned or died from the impact. i thought "well at least i've got the waterfall," but i forgot that the water doesnt stop piling up.

it flooded my fort and i had no more miners to stop it so i just abandoned then and there. it was truly disappointing. the waterfall wouldve looked glorious
FRESH=MONEY

Katonta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: July 26, 2011, 04:49:49 pm »

I had been wondering for a while what made Aquafirs so annoying to people. I had settled a couple before and didn't seem to have much problem with them.

Then, I decided to try out a surface settlement and didn't bother to notice I was settling in an aquafir. When I arrive, I dig for a bit and realize I have no available stone. No biggie, I think, I'll just dig down to get some. But, *facepalm* it turns out the aquafir I had settled on filled every hole I dug with water, making it impossible to reach the stone.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 729