Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142237 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4590 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:45 am »

Started playing Fortress Defense mod. Gened a world. Found a nice spot with sand, volcano, brook, and snow. Used a embark profile from previous game. returned with problems (some items were not availiable etc). Ignored message. Messed with skills and items. Chose names. Embarked. Dug out majority of fort to get ready for seiges. Only realized as it turned summer that I did not bring an anvil. Apparently my civ doesnt have access to iron and the iron anvil was removed from the embark profile.
Damn
At least I have the +Serrated Glass Blades+ to line my corridor and enough livestock to slaughter and use their bones for bows and arrows. Hopefully the next carravan has an anvil.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Jeffery

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:troll]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: June 10, 2011, 09:34:13 pm »

Started a new fort today, so far so good, except for one of my dwarves went into a strange mood. He was a gem cutter, and at first I thought it wasn't a big deal. I just built a jeweler's work shop and he claimed it and just sat in there. I watched him for a minute then i realized that I don't have any jewels for him to craft with. So, i just walled him in and now he is going berserk trying to get out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:18 pm »

I was trying to flatten my map a little and I dug under a z-level as I wasn't paying much attention and forgot that ramps generally mean there is something above you, and that when you remove that last flimsy twig you should have invested in some adamantine miner hats.
Hello.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:25 pm »

Well, mine is a bit different.

So, my first time experimenting with macros, I recorded a lengthy session of an adventurer picking up a big stockpile of rocks, and throwing them back down. So my guy was sitting in some random woods, in sneak-mode, and I played my macro. It went ok, albeit much slower then just doing it manually, then I see a single approaching from the side. "No problem, I'll just cancel the macro and go smash this wolf".

Nope. The macro keeps playing, no matter what I do. The wolf attacks and displaces me to a grassy patch. Since it has "a" in the macro, over and over, I kept getting the announcement page coming up, blinking, while squeezing in commands to kill the damn wolf or something, which, in the process I managed to set fire to all the shrubs around with my arrow-key mashing to chase and kill this wolf while this damn macro is spamming other key commands.
So, I eventually get caught in the fires the macro was setting and I get "you are melting x59" before I ever kill the wolf and I die. That doesn't stop the macro, which is still hitting "t,t,enter" and on exiting advent mode, it selects my favorite fort save, which I'm suddenly looking at. Struggling to stop the madness, I manage to abandon the fortress.

Turns out I abandoned fortress on the only good save of a long-going project that set me back two weeks or so in IRL gameplay.

I manged to exit DF while the macro kept spamming "t,t,enter".

Not sure if that counted as "Fun" or not, but it certainly punished the crap out of me for inexperience, which is fun, I think.

Dwarf Fortress: Where macros can cause you to set yourself on fire and then screw up a save in a completely different mode. Wow. :P

Zhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: June 10, 2011, 11:46:21 pm »

Wanted to save my fort and gen a new world for some fun and to try some different ideas... Hit abandon without thinking -.- sigh
Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Damn you vile character limit!!!

TapeNoot

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE: AMPHIBIAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: June 11, 2011, 11:28:09 am »

Presuming the flurry of 'cannot find water source' messages meant the animals I hadn't got around to pasturing were dying of thirst.

They were. So were the !!painfully!! sober dorfs.

Cue all the animals, and about a third of my population, dying in a few seconds. Immediately instructed booze to be produced on repeat, but, given the fact that the still is in the same small room as nearly everything else (early after embark after all), the resulting tantrum-fuelled mess delayed production.
Now down to half of my initial population, the first barrel of booze is cranked out, pulling all the remaining buggers into the one tight space.

Some hadn't started been set off yet. And now they are. And the population drops again.
BY ARMOK'S FLAMING TESTICLES, JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol fuelled beard with the IQ of a parsnip, and that's insulting to the parsnips.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: June 11, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »

Well, mine is a bit different.

So, my first time experimenting with macros, I recorded a lengthy session of an adventurer picking up a big stockpile of rocks, and throwing them back down. So my guy was sitting in some random woods, in sneak-mode, and I played my macro. It went ok, albeit much slower then just doing it manually, then I see a single approaching from the side. "No problem, I'll just cancel the macro and go smash this wolf".

Nope. The macro keeps playing, no matter what I do. The wolf attacks and displaces me to a grassy patch. Since it has "a" in the macro, over and over, I kept getting the announcement page coming up, blinking, while squeezing in commands to kill the damn wolf or something, which, in the process I managed to set fire to all the shrubs around with my arrow-key mashing to chase and kill this wolf while this damn macro is spamming other key commands.
So, I eventually get caught in the fires the macro was setting and I get "you are melting x59" before I ever kill the wolf and I die. That doesn't stop the macro, which is still hitting "t,t,enter" and on exiting advent mode, it selects my favorite fort save, which I'm suddenly looking at. Struggling to stop the madness, I manage to abandon the fortress.

Turns out I abandoned fortress on the only good save of a long-going project that set me back two weeks or so in IRL gameplay.

I manged to exit DF while the macro kept spamming "t,t,enter".

Not sure if that counted as "Fun" or not, but it certainly punished the crap out of me for inexperience, which is fun, I think.

Odd, are macros meant to keep playing repeatedly? I normaly put in a command such as 'g, a' and hold Ctrl + P untill I have enough, then go on to the throw command. The only problem is that it may do this:
'g,a,g,a,a,g,a,a,g,g,a'
Mostly because it starts the macro over and over.

My facepalm has to be the time when I leveled my adventurer up to legendary in a keeper (this is Genesis) fortress, only to step outside and get mauled to death by a bear. A BEAR.

Steel equipment + ~5 hours of work = Fun

Chezmonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: June 12, 2011, 03:42:58 pm »

Spent a good 10-20 minutes CAREFULLY preparing my embarkation after spending a good 30 finding the right spot. Had all the dwarves, and equipment I wanted. To get more points, I discarded my steel battle axes after thinking I'd seen a normal copper axe on the list. Turns out there wasn't.

No Axe = No Wood
*Facepalm*

Luckily I crudely made a wooden training axe from the wagon bits... AFTER spending a good while emptying it.

cswvna

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: June 12, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

Luckily I crudely made a wooden training axe from the wagon bits... AFTER spending a good while emptying it.
Emptying it? Why bother? As long as you do it after the initial rush for building materials and equipment, you can just disassemble it and let crap spill over a 5x5 area.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: June 12, 2011, 06:47:02 pm »

Set up a succession game. After carefully preparing an embark to take full advantage of the volcano on the shores of a freshwater lake, I left. Going well, but a few months in the food starts to drop quickly. Then I realized: I embarked without cats!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: June 13, 2011, 02:25:49 am »

I spent in-game months making the perfect waterway from my brook to the well in my hospital.  It had floors, so no plants would grow and block it.  It had both fortifications and wall grates to keep anything out.  And it had floodgates so I could shut it off if needed.  It's almost a work of art.

I'm all set to open it up... and winter hits, freezing the brook solid.  (Facepalm #1)

The brook finally defrosts in mid-spring (mid-spring, dang it!), and I open the floodgates.  However, I forgot that the water wouldn't flow back up to the brook's level, so it's one z level lower than I planned.  Now the well only provides stagnant water.  (Facepalm #2)

Fortunately, I saved before opening the floodgates, so I savescum to go back and fix the problem.  I tear up the floor area I'd built below the well and dig one level lower... and I hit an aquifer.  So I now discover that I wasted all of that time on the perfect waterway when it wasn't needed at all.  (Major Facepalm)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:28:25 am by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

troyfawkes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:20 am »

Made my first danger room. I figured this would help make my melee fighters slightly less retarded. I gave them all full leather armour to ward off the nasty wooden bits. At the first volcano of blood I figured something was amiss. Turns out I misread and filled it with menacing spikes instead of training spears.

Woops.

One of the eight survived. Kind of. Anyway, a wave of nine migrants showed up as the military was getting butchered.

So, you know, in the end we came out on top.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 13, 2011, 10:26:32 am »

New fortress, just set up, built a lever in the meeting hall and a drawbridge for quick and dirty defense.

Fast Forward one year later, "Huh. Where did these extra two mechanisms come from? Oh well."

Fast forward another year, "CRAP! AMBUSH! RAISE THE BRIDGE! Hey, why isn't it rais.... oh."
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 13, 2011, 12:29:11 pm »

One of the eight survived. Kind of. Anyway, a wave of nine migrants showed up as the military was getting butchered.

So, you know, in the end we came out on top.

That is both true and existentially terrifying.

Me? I captured a giant moose... somehow. I'm not sure how. And an assload of goblins.

Anyway, a few minutes later I get spammed with messages of "Urist McJobperson cancels task: interrupted by Giant Moose Bull." Turns out some dumbass released the Giant Moose as soon as my back was turned... I'm still not entirely sure how it got free.

Or that one goblin that somehow escaped. I'm really not sure about that one.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: June 13, 2011, 01:19:05 pm »

I think my worst facepalm was on my first fortress.  I had managed to set up about 3/4 of what I needed to be self sutaining.

I was digging out nearly the highest level of the mountain, so that I could put another office above the other two I had made vertically (Baron, and a dwarf who headed Bookkeeping and Brokering) when I learned about collapses.  I managed to kill 2 miners, the Baron, and the Bookkeeper as well as the liason.  The offices were utterly destroyed.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 729