Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142311 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4395 on: May 04, 2011, 11:55:37 am »

A woodcutter named Kel Asnoglesh was savaged in the first cavern by a Draltha. (Which surprised me because I'd seen them as subterranean cattle!) Guess what 'Asnoglesh' means?

Spoiler: That's right! (click to show/hide)
To be fair, "cave cattle" ain't too far off.
Just a malajusted giant cave-mammoth off...
I picture them as a mix between elephants and cows, with a long back so they can lean up and graze on higher tower-cap leaves.

And I picture them with a dark rust color for their fur, so they can blend in with the minerals.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:03 am »

A woodcutter named Kel Asnoglesh was savaged in the first cavern by a Draltha. (Which surprised me because I'd seen them as subterranean cattle!) Guess what 'Asnoglesh' means?

I picture them as a mix between elephants and cows, with a long back so they can lean up and graze on higher tower-cap leaves.

And I picture them with a dark rust color for their fur, so they can blend in with the minerals.

IIRC, the raws define them as having yellowish fur.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: May 04, 2011, 01:48:01 pm »

This guy is not in a secretive mood. He is hopping to gather resources. Hoooooly shit. What a dude.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: May 04, 2011, 01:48:51 pm »

IIRC, the raws define them as having yellowish fur.
Yup, I just checked and it's yellowish. I still like to think the dark rust color though. Somehow a giant piss mat doesn't seem very amazing.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: May 04, 2011, 04:47:55 pm »

Turns out while throwing invader blizzardmen in the magma moat is admittedly funny, said blizzardmen don't actually die from being on fire, nor do they path out of the moat via the ramps. Oh man the smoke...
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: May 04, 2011, 05:06:57 pm »

At the very start i had no idea what aqufiers were and so i spent my first 3 years trying to drain what i thought was a huge lake, in the en i had about 100 tiles of aquifier firing water across the map when i found out, i had about 2fps with 20 dwarves.

aaOzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: May 05, 2011, 05:44:06 am »

1. didnt know you could zoom through Z levels with hotkeys.. and I'm a guy who always builds forts deep underground and manages the moving from top to bottom.

you can!?!?

That makes navigating my 100 z level mining shaft down to magma sooo much easier :S

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4402 on: May 05, 2011, 06:12:37 am »

1. didnt know you could zoom through Z levels with hotkeys.. and I'm a guy who always builds forts deep underground and manages the moving from top to bottom.

That makes navigating my 100 z level mining shaft down to magma sooo much easier :S

Yeah, that is incredible functionality and most definitelly perfectly suited for magma-fueled industrial "outpost"/main fort navigation.

Kind of makes you wish someone took time to write "advanced" tutorial that shows people neat little functionalities that make gameplay much smoother.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: May 05, 2011, 08:03:52 am »

Only recently realised that dwarves will pick a bedroom for themselves once generated... i've been manually assigning bedrooms to my dwarves up until now.
THEY DO?!
*facepalm*

Don't feel too bad, I'd gone through a dozen fortresses - many with walls all the way around the map - before realizing that you don't have to build walls one tile at a time.

MIND.BLOWN
wow just wow

Not knowing that ,and manually assigning rooms for 100 odd dwarfs every fortress for the last 3 or 4 years is a big face palm moment!

The other one for me was when I started the game - my first 2 or 3 forts I didn't know you could assign different jobs.

So for example I thought that a fisherdwarf could only ever fish and nothing else, that I would have to wait for a woodcutter to show up as a migrant if I ever wanted to cut trees.

What made it worse was that I didn't realise you could change skills on embark either so I would start a fort and hope randomly that I started with a cook and brewer or one would show up in the first wave else everyone always starved ;)

Could make for an interesting play style though if you wanted a challenge.

Also made a 75level pump stack with wooden corkscrews once too - doh!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:06:21 am by kendo »

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: May 05, 2011, 08:36:07 am »

...Right. Digging a ramp out from under a tree drops the tree. I knew that! The first two casualties from Lancedburial: one of my two starting miners and an immigrant who had the misfortune to be under the next tree when I dug out the ramps /next/ to the ramped tree. Oops. Enjoy your garden coffins, you two. >.>
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: May 05, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »

Hm, I wonder what these levers in my dining hall do... they don't connect to any floodgates, So I guess they're okay to pull. What's the worst that could happen?

One Q-a-P later...

Scary-Ass Forgotten Beast has destroyed a door!

I look for the location of the beast frantically. It is on one of the marble layers, set up for marble crafting and masonry, attacking haulers; I send everything I have at them.

Then the second one walks in. And this one is able to spit out both frozen and boiling forgotten beast extract. Blood and "mist" go everywhere. Final death toll is something like seven, including my Legendary Macedwarf Captain of the Guard.

This was not too long before a goblin siege showed up and managed to kill most of the caravan from the mountainhalls, mostly because they took the long way from the edge of the map to the trade depot. A goblin elite marksman was able to kill three or four of my marksdwarves by shooting through the fortifications from a z-level below. Several militiadwarves were caught out in the open for days on end, but were able to run away from the siegers long enough to make their way to one of the open fort entrances. Ironically, Trolls weren't very dangerous in hand-to-hand combat except when they managed to knock a dwarf into a body of water, drowning them. The siege eventually broke when enough were killed.

In short, later summer to mid-winter of 527 was one big season of Face Palm for Cloistersummit. On the plus side, I now have most of my levers labeled with points.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:19:57 pm by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: May 05, 2011, 04:37:57 pm »

Goblins every where. People dying horribly. Dwarves locked down inside the bunkers. No hope of survival. Food stocks running low.
That was my fortress one hour ago.
Ten minutes ago, it was pretty much the same, except there was no more goblins, a lot of water everywhere and no more dwarfs.

You see, I love epic stories. I like when my fortress fall (Loosing is fun!) but I like it even more when hundreds of gob's or FB's or clowns fall with it. Because of that, I never seal my fortress (I seal things, but not the fortress), nor do I place super-traps, capable of killing millions of ennemies before letting one in. Also, I always have a plan, just in case.

Because of that, even when a good hundred goblins killed what remained of my military and trolls started to break down the doors, I did'nt panick. Most of the dwarfs were already safe in the bunker. Of course, at least a third did'nt make it, but we never liked them anyway. At that point, however, there was nothing more to do. The fortress was overrun, there was no more weapons, no more fighters, no more hope. So, Urist pulled the lever and the aquifer was released.

At that point, I remembered that because I was planning on doing water supply for my dwarfs using a well, only one bunker (out of five) was water-proof. This bunker was the deepest, and there was no dwarf inside because I had used his bridges to trap a FB inside.
/Facepalm.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: May 06, 2011, 07:02:29 am »

I've never ever had a steel production. So restarting after a while of not playing and getting the new version ..

'' Finally, flux stone! ''

One year later, getting ready to start a production of metals ..

'' So, now to get so- ehh .. why can't I make iro- FUUUUUU! NONE OF THE ORES I NEED! ''

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: May 06, 2011, 07:09:57 am »

I've asked on this forum about how to get your game to autosave. I got an answer but haven't done that yet. Guess what happened? That's right! My game crashed! Yaaay! :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: May 06, 2011, 07:33:54 am »

I've asked on this forum about how to get your game to autosave. I got an answer but haven't done that yet. Guess what happened? That's right! My game crashed! Yaaay! :D

Oy.

Yeah, autosave is a life-saver. Also, you can do all sorts of many-worlds-hypothesis-type stuff with it if you turn on the backup feature as well. Just make sure you have a lot of space on your computer's hard-drive.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 729