Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141953 times)

HoleyDam

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dabbling Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4125 on: March 29, 2011, 09:17:07 pm »

I embarked on an ocean map, and planned on making a reservoir so I designated some trees to be cut for screw pumps. I also had a carpenter work on beds at the same time, and eventually I see '____ canceled job: Needs logs' or something like that. I go back to the trees I designated and not one had been cut down because I forgot to bring an axe.

(Thankfully this was early enough to where I could just abandon and reclaim)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »

One version of an unpleasantly common bug I'm getting: Not every civilization in every genned world has everything. Then I get places like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I repeat, no anvils, no booze. One wonders how dwarves can live under those conditions.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: March 29, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »

I've heard that dwarves will always have steel anvils, so you can probably scrounge up the 300 points for one of those.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:54 pm »

Civs will always have access to alloys, so long as they have access to the reaction that produces the alloy (and the result isn't DEEP_SPECIAL). From there they can make the stuff that's allowed by the tags in the metal entry, so yeah, there will always be steel anvils.

It looks as though you have no underground... does this happen even without altering the number of cavern layers?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: March 30, 2011, 11:15:47 am »

Well, this might be my very first facepalm in this game. ^^

I have to struggle with one stupid weaver that stands IN the food stockpile, and starve himself because "there is no path" to the food.
*FACEPALM*

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:24 pm »

Well, this might be my very first facepalm in this game. ^^

I have to struggle with one stupid weaver that stands IN the food stockpile, and starve himself because "there is no path" to the food.
*FACEPALM*
I'm imagining him just gnawing on the barrel and complaining about how everyone insists on putting booze in "wooden Elf-lock Chesty things damnit!"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »

My favorite dwarf miner is told to dig a channel so I have a nice sunny underground garden. Instead of digging like a normal clever person, he digs himself into a corner, and drops himself down a floor. He breaks all of his limbs, and is hospitalized for 8 months.
Unfortunately, I need him to try and dig more channels, and lo and behold he does it again. This time his spine is added in for good measure. He recovers from the hospital, only to die of infection days later, despite dozens of soap filled baths.
Then the world gets a little crazy. Traders show up, so I thought 'Hey, this would be a great time to get rid of those Rhinos I have in cages.' Unfortunately the dwarves take the cages only, leaving 5 Rhinos to rampage about my fortress. My Militia Captain, who is pretty powerful for year 2, has both his legs broken and his left arm smashed. He is left to bleed for two monthes, but somehow through sheer willpower survives and is recovering nicely in my hospital. 2 Craftees and a Military sod later, and I won't be making that mistake again.
Hmm.. What else could happen?
A Giant, that's what. Following normal procedure, my hunters decide to not flee but instead peg him in the tow, doing minimal damage. Starting to panic, since my two hunters died horribly, I decided to send in my Military. Unfortunately, only one dwarf armed with a hammer and his dog go out to face the foe. After some intense dodging, and lots of nothing happening, the dwarf finally connects with his warhammer. After stunning the beast, the dog latches on to the Giants arm, gaining its attention long enough for my dwarf to charge in and destroy the Giants skull.
What a hero.

TheDeathMind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:41 pm »

wooden Elf-lock Chesty things

this is hilarious to me for some reason. sigged.
wooden Elf-lock Chesty things
On the plus side, he spotted a adamantine vein before he melted completely.
Urist: Noooooooooo! It buuuuuuuuuuuuuurns! ... Waitasecond! HEY GUYS! THERE'S ADAMANTINE OVER THERE! PRAISE BE THE MINERS! *sizzle*

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: March 31, 2011, 06:16:58 am »

Nest boxes in courtyard, forgetting that the nearby overhanging cliff allows LOS into the courtyard.
Cue a goblin siege using 6 assorted fowl as target practice for half an hour before they finally kill them all and wander merrily into my tunnel-o-death.

End result, 6 dead birds that look like porcupines, 3 injured dwarves who insisted on trying to retrieve the corpses, and more spare bolts and arrows than i can shake a stick at.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: March 31, 2011, 06:34:02 am »

Working on my "scouts" mod...

Me: HA! Like to see a goblin get past my 300+ cage traps!
Urist McScout: SIR, 400 GOBLINS WILL ARRIVE IN TWO MONTHS!
Me: Well... 100 more traps!
One Month Later
Urist McScout: SIR, IT WAS 500 GOBLINS
Me: Uhhh... wow... Another hundred cage traps?
29 Days Later
Urist McScout: SIR, NEVERMIND, IT WAS A BRONZE COLOSSUS
*Winter is upon you*
FACEPALM
*(mastercraft item) has been stolen by a goblin theif!*
DOUBLE FACEPALM

The mod was abandoned and thrown into the windows version of a DAS.

;D Well what do you expect when your scouts eat nothing but mushrooms?...

Mario dose pretty good for himself >_>
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: March 31, 2011, 09:59:56 pm »

He also eats flowers.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »

kobolds are somehow resistant to fire. one took a flaming artifact and made with it, dying only at the edge. then another one took it to the other end of the map, again died mere squares from the edge.
then another one took it off-map.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:05 pm »

kobolds are somehow resistant to fire. one took a flaming artifact and made with it, dying only at the edge. then another one took it to the other end of the map, again died mere squares from the edge.

Did you have temperature off?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: April 01, 2011, 10:42:26 am »

I embarked on an ocean map, and planned on making a reservoir so I designated some trees to be cut for screw pumps. I also had a carpenter work on beds at the same time, and eventually I see '____ canceled job: Needs logs' or something like that. I go back to the trees I designated and not one had been cut down because I forgot to bring an axe.

(Thankfully this was early enough to where I could just abandon and reclaim)
Heh, then you'll facepalm when I tell you that you can break up your wagon for wood and craft a wooden training axe to cut trees down with then :P
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: April 02, 2011, 04:34:09 am »

Did you have temperature off?
No.
Also my FPS is about 1 now (due to grass burning). I had 4 goblin ambushes and my potash maker killed 3 with his fists (combat logs I can't find, pretty sure they were headshots). He's now bedridden for a while, since I have no (good) doctor yet.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 729