Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2144146 times)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2009, 05:56:38 pm »

That's why the elves and bow weapon traps are backups, never rely on traps alone.

Which leads to my facepalm moment.

A megabeast arrived, a dragon with no injuries and 100 or so kills, I remember how my entrance looked, 3 solid rows of cage traps and a single line of stonefalls behind it.
No problem, all dwarves inside and wait for it to be caged, mainwhile I go back to pitting goblins into an arena, and watching the carnage.

Urist mcsoapmaker cancelled eat, interrupted by dragon
Urist mcpeasant cancelled eat, interrupted by dragon
Urist mchammerer cancelled eat, resting injury
Urist mcmilker cancelled eat, interrupted by dragon
And so on. Turns out, the cage traps were used, and not reloaded yet because of a goblin siege, and I did not have spare cages. In the end, I managed to somehow lock the dragon in a part of the fort which I could quarantine by use of bridges with the floor channelled under it, and it stayed there, content with eating the nobles since it just happened to be the noble rooms.

..Refill your cage traps people.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2009, 06:33:53 pm »

Well lets see, it was my third fortress, and my only sucsessful one so far. Suddendly the game informs me that a Titan has showed up on my doorstep.

"Crap! A titan? I've never made it this far before!"

I was a bit terrified, on account of having lost about 50 dwarves to no less then six goblin seiges in six seasons. (on per season folks, non-stop, for a year and a half.) My numbers were dwindling, my supper defense wasn't done, most of my champions were waylaid with a myrad of wounds, and of course, I diodn't have a magma feture and hadn't managed to make anything steel. just iron, and not fancy iron at that.

So the beasty startsto march towards the base, I order all my dwarves inside and activate the military. My legendary engraver is away from the fortress and hops into the entrance for my massive water system, which counts as inside and was convinently empty of water at the time. However it was also empty of all forms of defense.

So I was hoping mr. titan wouldn't go liesurely kill him first. He didn't, thankfully, and headed straight for the main gate. Only to be taken captive by the first cage trap he stepped on.

Sweet, I have a a titan in a cage now. Now what? So i went to the wiki, read up on the thing, and realized I may be able to train it, if I could just get it's cage to a more convient location.

So I placed a cage, and went to his and assigned him to it,. One of my dwarfs comes and stops by the cage. "Alright, progress!"

now I had had a goblin execution tower, and I've had completly useless dwarves drag a goblin all the way out of the fort to the top of the tower with no problem. So I thought it would be the same. untill have way to the cage, the titan tears the dwarf holding his leash, neatly in two. Blood everywhere, and now I have  a titan in my base on the loose.

It could have ended far worse though, but I had a hunter in the hall, that knocked it out with a arrow right to the neck, and then a legendary wrestler ran up and tore it to shreds with his bare hands.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 24, 2009, 04:36:24 pm »

1) Mass constructions
2) Mass designations
3) MASS DESIGNATIONS from the stock menu (melting all narrow iron helms, etc in one keystroke!)
---

I'd say the stock menu is the best by far, mass forbidding of items without hunting them down is a massive time saver

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 24, 2009, 10:22:42 pm »

Once in a siege the enemy brought only bowmen and a few swordsmen goblins that is.

When the message appeared :"A vile force of darkness has arrived" I ordered all civilian dwarfs inside, the goblins caught up to two fisher dwarfs and fired a massive rain of arrows at them and killed them of course and then i check  all the goblins inventorys, I look and thought:" Oh what do we have here? they have no arrows left", then i send my swords masters and wrestlers out just find out that the goblins dont need any arrows in their inventory.

I am smarter since  :P

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 24, 2009, 10:26:19 pm »

The goblins do need arrows in their inventory; they probably just kept them in quivers.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:26 pm »

I must have overlooked them then  :(
Or maybe it were orcs, i cant remember correctly.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 25, 2009, 12:33:09 am »

okay I'm suffering from a cage crisis, that is they're all full, so in an effort to remedy this, I decide to build an above ground pit to throw the goblins into and then get my marks dwarves to shoot them for practice. So I've made sure that they've been divested of their gear, and I order all of them to be dumped into the pit.

Now I understand that thieves will escape, so i had posted my marks dwarves nearby for when they try.

WELL.... little did I know my pit wasn't as secure as I thought it was. I was under the impression that you couldn't exit a ramp to a corner if the wall next to the ramp was blocked off, apparently i was mistaken. As all of the goblins attempt to flee by running up along the pit's walls. Well my marks dwarves who are kitted out with backpacks, and waterskins, and quivers, go to town on them...

the result? half of my ammo stock spread out over nearly half of the map...

Apparently my dwarves went to the stormtrooper academy for marksman lessons...
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 25, 2009, 12:37:26 am »

Yeah, gobs bring quivers.

Annoying thing I found: Soldiers, no matter what their settings, will seek out backpacks if they lack. So, if you have backpacks, be warned that you won't be able to rush-squad some dwarfs as they think "Hey, I need some snazzy new equipment!"

Thankfully packs seem to stay on when deactivated.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 25, 2009, 11:11:55 am »

I had them pull ze lever.
WRONG LEVER!!!!!!!!
I released a 100 x 100 x 10 deep lake.
The Flood path leads straight to the lever room. There is no undo no stopping it. The anti flood lever was flooded. I have 30 dwarves trapped 15z down and no pick.
Art is a Blast

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 25, 2009, 11:57:21 am »

When I started my mountainunder-the-jungle-home, I'd slammed down a cheap small moat. A couple years in, I mad a larger moat so I'd have access to more of the trees, etc.

Finally, I get to the point where it's megaproject time. And so there's going to be a moat-around-the-whole-region. With a five tile border so everyone can enter the map and march around the edges to the designated entry area(s).

But there's a brook. And I'd like to be able to run the moat as either wet or dry (just for giggles.) So I will need to be able to "turn off" the brook - meaning floodgates, etc.

Excellent. I wanted to start the dwarven exercise program anyway. (Constructs rows of pumps, walls to direct the water away from all the staircases, etc.) A small oops as I realize “Hey, the brook is an infinite water source, and this isn’t quite enough drainage.” But I’d recognized the possibility - all I had to do was stop pumping and wait a little to add more walls to corral the water on the upper level better.

At this point, I have roughly fifteen legendary pump operators, and all of the brook except for the first five (or so) tiles are completely drained. So there are projects going on all over the place in the brook-and-moat-bed. Sally ports, ramps-with-bars into the moat from the edge at 8 spots, various floodgates to allow shuffling water between the inner moat, the second moat, and the edge moat.

So, second trial. I’m pumping a lot of water up a level into what’s effectively a very large cistern that goes pretty close to the edge. The target tiles for my floodgates are dry, lets slam them down. Um.... too close to edge.

What?!?! I checked this! Arrrgh! Ok, don’t panic. The pumping is keeping the status quo just fine, it just means there will be a whole lot more water up there. Send runners to go build even more walls around the cistern so it can hold more water. The ‘cistern’ ends up being about eight tiles wide and runs the length of the map before spilling onto the moat with a lot of the water remaining on the upper level, crossing the moat and leaving the via the edge.

Careful consideration of exactly which squares I could put walls and floodgates in. But this third plan involves removing a couple of constructed walls in the brook-bed from the last plan. This should all be fine - legendary pump operators make the whole area bone dry.

But.

Removing the two constructed walls also removes the floor above them. (Because there wasn’t a floor - the top of the wall was holding up the water in the cistern.) Unlike flow all along one Z-level, flow down a level is damn fast. Still not an issue - I’ll be able to reconstruct the walls in no time - because they’re right next to a pump. But, wait. The tiles that have been bone dry for quite awhile now are accumulating water? WTH? That’s the pumping area! And... shifts Z-level. Yep, those are the tiles that are supposed to be pumped. But... no one is pumping. Arrrgh! Let’s see... “Drink, drink, party, sleep, sleep, store owned item, drink, No job, no job, no job....” Hum. Pumps, plenty of pump operators,  - but no pump operators. Flood in progress. Zillions of workers in the damn brook/moat. (There was also a massive deforestation-of-moat and harvest-the-shrubs activity going on right then.)

1) Cancel all in-moat activities.
2) Flip all levers for the in-moat sally ports. (They all are on levers as anti-kobold entrances.)
3) Flip levers to limit the water flow by blocking flow into the other moats, etc.... oh crap. That’s a Champion’s Sock. And that’s a freaking rock on the other main floodgate. Arrrgh. Unflip the levers to prevent them from deconstructing.
4) Examine pumps closely. Not forbidden, was working fine. Hum. The only change was removing a couple of walls. How the hell. Poke, poke, poke. Aha, “Hanging Pump!”  Well, damn.
5) Tried sending in a couple masons to build walls as insta-flood-prevention. I manage to complete one (of three) just in time for...
6) SIEGE. Wave of Beak Dog riding goblins appears very close to that wall I just mentioned. One level up, five squares away. With archers. Masons slaughtered. Then they cross the freaking moat on the top of the wall. Ok, this isn’t good.
7) PANIC. Insert fight here. Be happy I had ‘inner moats’, a glut of champion marksdwarves, and plenty of safe raised fortifications, etc.

So eventually, the fight is over and my whole ‘moat level’ has a whole lot of water in it. There was never any flood into interior structures - but FPS sure took a major hit.

Plan. Four. Sigh.
Well, I dislike using bugs, but I can’t deal with the speed here. Down to the level two below the moat, fortifications-to-edge. Floodgates nicely placed in nicely dry positions. Ok, levers test. Ok... lock miners in the room, designate lots of ramps up all over the place as drainage for the moat. Ramps dug, miners released, no casualties. Water disappears at double-time.

VICTORY!
Some ridiculous amount of in-game time has passed (4 years?) plenty of hassle with other sieges and whatnot. An inordinate amount of real-life time spent micromanaging the project.

Facepalm: Hey, you mean if I’d built a bridge-as-wall I don’t have the same limitations on how close to the edge I can build?

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 26, 2009, 08:32:44 am »

Realizing that my game was  so slow because the fps cap had somehow been set to seven.

Pierre Monteux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 26, 2009, 10:22:55 am »

The one is actually from today.  I've started playing DF in the last months of the 2D version.  I've read boatsmurdered, and other succession games.  And I've always wondered were the calendar came form. 4 granite  After a while of not finding it (because I really wanted a better figure of how long until a season, not just "late winter") I finally decided that there was some page somwehre that explained it, but it really wasn't in teh game; just made up so that succession games would make more sense.  Today, I noticed something....  looking at my z page, seeing it was now Late autumn, suddenly I read the whole line.  "17th Timber, 206, Late Autumn".  ???

*insert facepalm here*

And to think I've been looking for this so long, and it was as plain as the nose on my face.

EDIT

Just had a new one recently.

Did not realize you could easily drain water off the map by carving fortifications into an edge tile.

Did it have to be that easy?  *facedesk*
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:00:22 pm by Pierre Monteux »
I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
except in DF, the "I'll bit your legs off" threat is serious.

Wereman

• Bay Watcher
  • The floor is now Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 29, 2009, 11:20:23 pm »

This has probably happened to everyone at least once, but as i was digging down to make my multistory entrance hall,
both miners at the exact same time, stood on the supports and dug out around themselves. :(

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 29, 2009, 11:31:17 pm »

Luckly it looks like it's probable that at least one of them has a stone to bridge the gap there. I'm pretty good about rescuing my miners.. except when channeling lave directly through ice.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 30, 2009, 05:03:05 am »

A little note on something I've found, most of the times dwarves seem to prefer working either horizontally or vertically next to the tile they have to mine/build/whatever, but they can walk diagonally.

Since I know this only one of my dwarves has trapped himself mining or building, and that was because I wanted him to trap himself, so he could do my special dump orders for an unnamed secret stone, I'm not letting the dirty peasants touch that.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 729