Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141455 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3870 on: February 19, 2011, 01:25:01 pm »

Don't need to do drafting, just use burrows.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: February 19, 2011, 02:46:51 pm »

1) Be careful when building an inverted-pyramid reservoir for a well. Designating the channels for the job is non-trivial.
2) If your fortress's only miner suffers an unfortunate accident, there are better choices for a replacement than the fortress doctor.
3) If your fortress's only doctor suffers an unfortunate accident, happily, ordinary dwarves can be drafted in as Chief Medic and effect suitable repairs in the hospital.
4) Hospital operations require a lot of wood.
5) 'Sparse' woodland in the Embark screen means you're going to an area which has all the salt, sand and snow you could ask for, but plant life bigger than a shrub.

(Right now, my fort consists of several 'temporary' rooms cut into the sand, including the abovementioned well, and the beginnings of the fortress entranceway, cut into rock. Right now, the entranceway is serving as a temporary hospital. Urist McPeasant seems to have set Urist McFlyingDoctor's legs without the aid of plaster (unless I'd embarked with some without noticing) and he's happily stomping around with enough wood to build two beds sewn onto his upper legs. Urist McMiner has a basic tomb just off a corridor - might move it if that's possible. I'm thinking that, without wood, I'm going to have to get to the magma to get much of the industry going...)
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3872 on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:36 pm »

Just had my first fun with cave ins and a river.

1) Wanted to do a skylight above my dining room. A section of the roof collapsed due to poor planning, and killed two dorfs. This subsequently sent my fortress into a tantrum spiral. All due to poor planning...

2) Made a channel from a river into a room below my sub-terrain fortress. Needless to say, it flooded. I felt a bit dumb when i realized that i hadn't thought of a way to STOP the water again. So i improvised, tried collapsing a floor on top of the channel, which killed one of my seven dorfs. Third facepalm there.

Just the usual.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: February 20, 2011, 12:38:23 am »

Digging my main Up/down stairwell into a cavern, forgetting to seal it off, then a Forgotten Beast stands underneath it, causing a flood of job cancellation messages as they try to approach the stairwell then immediately run when they see him below.  This caused the entire fort to starve and forced me to reclaim (with a small army at my back).

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: February 20, 2011, 06:31:14 am »

allowing socks and gloves as part of my steel uniform. stupid dorfs and overseer not quite getting layering resulting in soldiers with less than the optimal number of steel boots or gauntlets on. result = lots of cripples in the food and booze denial ward waiting for disposal.
This is a blank sig.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: February 20, 2011, 09:42:06 am »

My artificial river swept a a chunk of grabbo down a 10 z-level verticle drop, landing it on my only carpenter >.<
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: February 20, 2011, 09:44:29 am »

My artificial river swept a a chunk of grabbo down a 10 z-level verticle drop, landing it on my only carpenter >.<
falling objects don't currently do damage. nothing happened to him (or at least, not due to the rock...)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: February 20, 2011, 11:15:06 am »

It said something about him 'colliding with an object' so I assumed it was that.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: February 20, 2011, 11:16:59 am »

That's him falling off your waterfall  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: February 20, 2011, 11:18:29 am »

o.O

Even more of a facepalm!

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: February 20, 2011, 08:46:26 pm »

I set up an infimous tree-hugger killing system, in which I could flood the trade depot, giving me all the spoils for free... with the only cost of waging war with the elves. But that is besides the point. I forgot to close the main entrance, so all the water went out into my fortress, sweeping four dwarves of a bridge and into a river. <facepalm> Not to mention, in the making of the system, I trapped a farmer behind a floodgate, but didn't realize it. I went to try and solve this problem by opening up the exit waterflow gate into the river (the one where the farmer was) and HE got swept into the river.
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: February 20, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »

UristMcUberLeetMarxDwarf has been scared to death by the ghostly UristMcNoNamePeasantAxeDwarf.

In the middle of a 3 Squad Gob ambush. That he was owning from his *Marble Sniper Tower*.

7 tombs were build and ready to accept corpses, but not 'q'ed to accept corpses.
 =Facepalm=
Half a Gobo Squad later, UristMcOMGUStupidGhost has been put to rest.

Update: Rest of dwarf Marksmen waste bolts. Small melee militia got creamed by hidden hammer gobos. Now I have 5 trainees in the hostpital for a military and a few useless Marksmen. Not a good doctor either.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:30:07 pm by Rude »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: February 21, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »

Got excited about .19, installed it on my new compy, genned a world, started a fort, and captured a hive of honey bees before I went to bed.

That night, I dreamed my new fort got besieged by trolls within the first year.

The next day, I checked the forums and discovered that having a beehive causes your fort's value to skyrocket, causing it to get ambushed and besieged sooner.

That was oddly prophetic, wasn't it?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: February 21, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

Set up some cage traps to catch any birds trying to steal my nesting boxes.  Worked great for a while, caught me a lot of wild turkeys to domesticate.

But it turns out most other birds can fly.  Whoops.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: February 21, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »

Got excited about .19, installed it on my new compy, genned a world, started a fort, and captured a hive of honey bees before I went to bed.

That night, I dreamed my new fort got besieged by trolls within the first year.

The next day, I checked the forums and discovered that having a beehive causes your fort's value to skyrocket, causing it to get ambushed and besieged sooner.

That was oddly prophetic, wasn't it?

Either that, or you play in your sleep. Let us know if you notice your forts being more developed/flooded/on fire/etc. when you wake up in the morning.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 729