Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142345 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #375 on: September 01, 2009, 05:25:54 pm »

Channeling to get some river water to a pump so it could be desalinized and only when the channel was done did i realize that it went through the top of my fortress, flooding it with river water.

/facepalm

"Wall off that room!"
Urist Mcmason cancels build wall: building site submerged!
"AH! too late!"
Urist McBaby has drowned
"OK, it's not too late to savescum."
Spring has arrived.
Saving...
"ARGH! DAMN YOU AUTOSAAAAAAAAVE!"

/FACEPALM
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 01, 2009, 08:38:02 pm »

Mine is definitely realizing, about a week into playing, that "hist fig" stands for "historical figure."  Up until then, I had been thinking it was some kind of fruit (and that it was a damn bizarre thing to track during worldgen; who cares about fruit?).  Like, the Hist Trees in The Elder Scrolls series, and their fruits were called figs for some reason.

Another newbie mistake I made way back when, was not understanding the difference between a refuse pile and a garbage dump, and wondering why items designated for dumping were totally ignored instead of dragged to the refuse pile.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 01, 2009, 08:41:47 pm »

My facepalm moment was a fire imp burning the forest, with my food stock pile still outside.

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 03, 2009, 07:18:25 am »

Finding DF months ago, and wondering why my bookkeeper would never become more accurate until I found the detail settings.. this morning.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 03, 2009, 01:14:27 pm »

Not a major facepalm, but more like an 'oh shit!!' and then 'damn that was too close!' kind of facepalm.

Okay, basically I had lost my mechanics some seasons ago due to an ambush and had forgotten to assign some new ones when a siege came. I checked my entrance and realized that I had forgotten about that as about half of my stone fall traps were not loaded and quickly set up everybody (using Dwarf Manager) as mechanics to rush and get some of them loaded. I had gotten some of them loaded but the siege pushed their way through to the end. Granted many of them were killed, but when a few of them got through, I enlisted everybody and I had somehow managed to repel them before they got far.

I don't know if any of my dwarves killed any goblins (there were a few POW elves there as well), but a few of them sacrificed their lives to try and push back the invaders. My guess is that a few more goblins walked into the few remaining stone traps which weren't triggered and had reached the 'end siege' threshold.

For a moment there I seriously thought that they were going to get through and overrun my fort.

Taffy Foxbat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 03, 2009, 03:19:37 pm »

Selected Titan cage for trade. Forgot that they have to open the cage to move it to the depot. Titan dealt with, only about 10 dead, but now I'm in tantrum spiral mode...
Taffy Foxbat needs alcohol to get through the working day.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 04, 2009, 02:44:55 am »

when i found out that i needed to extract the DF folder to save the game.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2009, 02:24:06 am »

I spent a total of  17 hours making the most awesome fortress ever.

I carved a steep trail up a mountain with sheer crazy z-level cliffs with over 30 ballista and 3 z-levels high walls and fortifications. It was surrounded by a moat of water encircled by a huge trench of lava.
It was so damn cool.

It took me over half the time to make the water-lava moats. It included pumping the water up a brook around 10 z levels. Same with the magma.

Then, because I wanted to make a bigger bridge, I channeled ONE block. It turns out that the dwarf orginally designated to place a grate in the z level underneath the designated channel STOPPED 1 TILE AWAY FROM THE INSTALLATION SPOT AND TURNED AROUND AND WENT TO CHANNEL AWAY THE ONLY BARRIER STOPPING THE LAVA
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 06, 2009, 07:09:09 am »

I completely channeled out the first layer and paved over a forested map with constructed stone blocks on the version just before Toady added the multi-designate constructions feature.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2009, 08:49:38 am »

hmm biggest one would be when i wasn't paying attention to channeling (well more i failed to realise the pattern i had designated would result in a cave in) (this was before i found out the efficiency of ramps) anyway i had dug a 10 or so z level pit with channels from the bottom up... yeah i kinda dumped 5 legendary miners and their pets down 10 z levels in a cave in... this was also before i found out about quantum cages so every dwarf had about 4 animals tagging along, my fps was shot to hell.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 07, 2009, 03:34:23 am »

Losing a dwarf to magma he's pumping.

And again. And again. And again.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 07, 2009, 12:28:37 pm »

I know you don't have to have a stone stockpile, but I hate having stones littering the floors.  Spent 3 (game) years wasting manpower hauling stones up and out to a giant outdoor stone stockpile, because I could never get the dwarves to (d)ump them, only to realize it was because I didn't understand the difference between piles and zones.  I was trying to (d)ump to a refuse pile (p)->(r) when I should have designated a garbage dump zone (i)->(g).  And the worst part of it?  My fortress spans a small chasm, so I could have dumped stones off the side from any Z level.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #387 on: September 07, 2009, 01:52:04 pm »

Just had a small one with my first attempt at constructing a multilevel stack of pumps powered by waterwheels: I was checking the "power needed" on one of the pumps, and it read "150". Each waterwheel produces, what, 200 power? I was pissed: I'm gonna have to build a separate wheel for every single pump!? Then thanks to the Wiki I finally, mercifully, realized that the "150" was the power needed for the entire stack, pumps and gears and all. Duhh...
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2009, 07:25:38 pm »

Embark profiles, when used, take you to the embark modification screen always, not just when they fail to get this or that bit.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 19, 2009, 01:55:35 pm »

So I started a fort a while back after the last two got wrecked(one accidentally drowned, the other found out that a bunch of competent weapondorfs are not really up to fighting Chosen Warriors, even when they're lashers. Who knew that their whips could remove limbs?).

Seems to be going well so far, not any really good moods, first produced a legendary bonecrafter, after that it's been two possessions).

I was sort of curious of the mountain on the other side of the map with all the spiderwebs on it's sides, so I sent a miner to check it out. And sure, there's a bottomless pit there. Full of spider webs. Cloth business, here I come!

Oh wait, it's full of troglodytes, spidermen and even a giant cave swallow. But I have a bunch of champions who have been training far too long. Time to have some real fighting!

A while later, it's Spring. The pit is full of corpses, limbs and no dwarf suffered, except that one woodcutter who had to go Rambo on a dozen trog's.

So the merchants arrive, and suddenly, I get the announcement that my deer bone samurai helm has been stolen by a thief.

Damn it.

Somehow the kobold managed to get past all the champions running up and down my T-hallways, to the shops, and grabbed the closest thing of value.

The odd thing is though that the guy who made the helm doesn't seem to mind.

Might be because it was a possession. I should try this out with a fey dwarf losing an artifact to the 'bolds.

But really, that's one crafty kobold.
He better become the Kobold King for this.
That helm was worth 65k, dammit!

Oh god I'm gonna get some kobold death squads in my map because of this, aren't I?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 729