Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141448 times)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3645 on: January 14, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »

I know my game crashes with segfault when the designated target of a squad leaves the location.

What did you do to break DF in this manner? Mine doesn't do that...

This seems specific to linux DF. I have the same problem on my Ubuntu machine, but its fine on my Windows one. 31.18 for both.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: January 15, 2011, 05:24:08 am »

tried somthing ambitious... embarked at a river confluence, and while it was frozen dug out a small walled courtyard in this confluence to have a "castle in a river" type of way in. looked cool - 6x6 tower poking out of a river, with fortifications and a roof. River melted. ALL my supplies (minus the stone used to make the small courtyard) were still on the wagon. I had neglected to build a bridge yet, reasoning I have until the end of Autnum to worry about that... My dorfs were safe in thier little island, with 2 soil layers to play with before an aquifer, no food, no booze... no hope.
This is a blank sig.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: January 15, 2011, 05:39:05 am »

Had my legendery stone crafter go in a fey mood and make a stone craft <.< Could have have been ANYONE else but noo had to be him

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: January 15, 2011, 09:14:41 am »

Yesterday I learned something new while doing the preparations for embark: "Huh. What's 'new' mean?" *hits N, and up pops massive list of stuff to buy* "Oh."

"ARGHARGH!"

MONTHS of embarking on deserts or glaciers with no wood (or much of anything else, really) - all for nothing, because I didn't bother reading the embark screen properly.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: January 15, 2011, 11:09:08 am »

tried somthing ambitious... embarked at a river confluence, and while it was frozen dug out a small walled courtyard in this confluence to have a "castle in a river" type of way in. looked cool - 6x6 tower poking out of a river, with fortifications and a roof. River melted. ALL my supplies (minus the stone used to make the small courtyard) were still on the wagon. I had neglected to build a bridge yet, reasoning I have until the end of Autnum to worry about that... My dorfs were safe in thier little island, with 2 soil layers to play with before an aquifer, no food, no booze... no hope.

7 dorfs. No items. FINAL DESTINATION.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:14 pm »

Had my legendery stone crafter go in a fey mood and make a stone craft <.< Could have have been ANYONE else but noo had to be him
I made a new fort solely so I wouldn't have to go digging up my proper one to test the workings of a highly-mechanised trap. The population was limited to just the hardcoded waves, as always in my games. First I got a Grand Master Armoursmith. Then the Armoursmith mooded. Instant Legendary +5, in a hole in the ground that will never see even another trader. I know that what the RNG does in one fort has no bearing on what it does in another, but I can't help feeling a little miffed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: January 15, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »

I've had a bunch a dorfs dehydrate because the idiots deconstructed the stairs (and it definitively had nothing to do with the fact that I had the entire area designated to be mined *whistle*).
Having the magma sea beneath their feet probably didn't help, either.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: January 15, 2011, 07:13:14 pm »

Wait, what? One of my sworddwarf is dead? He was hunting goats and he was legendary! I hope he did not dodge into a murky pool...

*Checks combat log*

He dodged into the lava pipe.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: January 15, 2011, 08:28:30 pm »

I'm trying to perform an experiment with a backed-up fortress. As in so much good !!Science!!, it involves making a beeline to the magma sea. Two, actually. A stairwell, and an empty shaft. I sank about 50 Z-levels of stairs first, then starting digging the shaft right next to it. That way I could throw half a dozen miners at it at the same time.

Meanwhile, crundles keep getting in through the second cavern, and I'm getting really annoyed with the cancellation spam. I've designated a few ramps removed to keep them out, but none of the miners want to work there. Eventually I remembered that I could restrict miners to a burrow. Nice! Here you go, Legendary Miner, three ramps just for you! Hmm, I wonder where he is.

That's odd, it doesn't look like there's any floor there... Oh.

30 Z-levels later: SPLAT!

Yes, I assigned a falling miner to a priority work burrow. *facepalm*

And for a second facepalm, cue six more splats as the rest of my miners one by one dodged the same crundle and fell down the same damn shaft.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: January 16, 2011, 02:59:26 am »

My fort had multiple problems but direct cause of !!FUN!! was not setting danger room lever on repeat. What in connection with Defence Mod was deadly.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: January 16, 2011, 10:07:15 am »

fuck i just spent like half an hour making city grid and whole plan to one burrow. then I didn't press "done" and everything vanished...

EDIT: for god's sake i did it again somehow
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:38:32 am by dwarfhoplite »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: January 16, 2011, 01:34:59 pm »

Watching as a skilled fighter gets stabbed in both feet by a kobold and knocked down a hill.

fuck.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: January 16, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »

My dwarfs have never seen any Forgotten Beast yet. I got besieged by goblins and their demon law-giver; as expected in this version, the loyalty cascade was triggered at the border of the map, and the result was epic.
This is not the problem.
The problem is that the damn devil had deadly blood. 2 months later, after accidentally flooding a third of the map, and witnessing the complete freezing of said water... on the opposite side of the map, where water couldn't possibly have spread toxins... cats start dying. Then a commander, one of my best marksdorf. Then 10 z-levels underneath, a miner bled out to death randomly as well, rapidly joined by a random wandering war dog somewhere in between.
How the shit did the poison cross the river to kill stuff only now? Why didn't it just act faster and kill the bunch of treacherous gobbos? Why do I even bother? I don't even want to deal with any Forgotten Beast after that.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: January 16, 2011, 10:24:17 pm »

I JUST had one.  a BIG one.  I had the idea where i would send THOUSANDS of goblins to die against the hordes of the underworld, only to accidentally breach it, and send all my dwarves to my safety zone.  I pulled the safety lever, only to become frustrated at how it wasn't working.  I watch as all my dwarves are slaughtered, only to realize that i was pulling the WRONG LEVER.  I was pulling the one to main draw bridge. >.< 

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: January 17, 2011, 12:14:40 am »

Genned a lovely little site--lushly forested wilderness, perfectly flat volcano, mountains on the edge of the map absolutely filthy with exposed veins of ore.  Sand.  Dolomite.  Gabbro, and granite coming out the ears.

Did a scouting embark.  Can't bring myself to use the site.  Why?  No ocean/river; and I'm a whore for good, evil and savagery.

Face.  Palm.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 729