Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141215 times)

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3180 on: November 28, 2010, 07:38:55 am »

On the artifact side, my recently-possessed leatherworker just made a leather piccolo. As in, a literal skin flute. *facepalm*

Edit: checking the name, it is called "Calmbit"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:40:26 am by Lupusater »

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: November 28, 2010, 09:53:23 am »

A bucket.

Worst of all, most of them were possessed so they got no XP as well.

Use the bucket to make a well in your dining room. It'll keep the dorfs happy at least.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: November 28, 2010, 01:13:08 pm »

Forgott about a magam pipe I was building that was crossing the river. A goblin ambush was discovered on my roof just outside the staircase into the busiest part of the fort. *facepalm*

I wonder how fast my military runs...
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: November 28, 2010, 04:39:37 pm »

My first fortress was going good (well, good by Dwarf Fortress standards) then the first goblin ambush came.
After around half my dwarfs were slaughtered or crippled, I decided to pull the "Fuck this" lever, which should release a torrent of water to gush into my main hallways.
However, firstly it took a while for a dwarf missing a leg to crawl to the lever and pull it, but when the water was released it was not at high enough pressure. This meant it only made it about halfway down the hall, and even then it could not get past the doors, meaning the goblins were free to slaughter the remaining population  in a very indignified manner.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

frozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: November 28, 2010, 07:51:23 pm »

Making a fortress for the first time in a while, so I'm re-learning how much FUN can be had.

First bit of FUN involved waterfalls and pressure:  I naively channeled moat around my fortress including a waterfall but not accounting for the water shooting out from the edge of the cliff at all.  Commence world flood.  Also, an unlucky dwarf was downhill and he didn't survive his fall.

Second bit of FUN.  I try to fix this in the winter when the moat froze over.  First I successfully dammed the moat upstream of the waterfall.  But some of the moat later on is underground b/c I haven't bothered to carve the entire facade of my fortress yet (cliffside mega project upcoming).  I could have safely waited for spring thaw, but instead I send my miners to dig away the moat and give the water somewhere to drain.  Miners are outside in the cold, digging away the wall that holds the moat water in....  Two points if you know what happened next.

So when the ice thaws do I get my miners' bodies & picks back or are they ice-atom-smashed into oblivion?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: November 28, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »

In my current community fort  my woodcutter suddenly 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'. 

Weird, he heads off to grab another and a moment later 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'.

Damnit!, ive only got 2 left and hardly any wood. 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'.

Really! WTF! 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'.

Oh.....hes on fire and just cremated all my training axes running back and forth between weapon pile and a tree
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: November 28, 2010, 09:13:28 pm »

Making a fortress for the first time in a while, so I'm re-learning how much FUN can be had.

First bit of FUN involved waterfalls and pressure:  I naively channeled moat around my fortress including a waterfall but not accounting for the water shooting out from the edge of the cliff at all.  Commence world flood.  Also, an unlucky dwarf was downhill and he didn't survive his fall.

Second bit of FUN.  I try to fix this in the winter when the moat froze over.  First I successfully dammed the moat upstream of the waterfall.  But some of the moat later on is underground b/c I haven't bothered to carve the entire facade of my fortress yet (cliffside mega project upcoming).  I could have safely waited for spring thaw, but instead I send my miners to dig away the moat and give the water somewhere to drain.  Miners are outside in the cold, digging away the wall that holds the moat water in....  Two points if you know what happened next.

So when the ice thaws do I get my miners' bodies & picks back or are they ice-atom-smashed into oblivion?

Pretty sure you get whatever they were carrying that was metal, and their skeletons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Artifakt

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Night at the Inventory. Discuss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: November 29, 2010, 01:16:02 am »

My last fort was destroyed by a horrible incident involving improper irrigation and exits that were locked from the outside, due to several genius strokes of planning.
Friend: "Sorry, I just can't get past those ASCII graphics."
Me: "But it has 18 types of graaaaaaaasssss!!"

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: November 29, 2010, 03:54:49 am »

On the artifact side, my recently-possessed leatherworker just made a leather piccolo. As in, a literal skin flute. *facepalm*

Yeeeah. Suggestive as hell. Freudian Dwarves anyone?

In my current community fort  my woodcutter suddenly 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'. 

Weird, he heads off to grab another and a moment later 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'.

Damnit!, ive only got 2 left and hardly any wood. 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'.

Really! WTF! 'canceled woodcutting: lost axe'.

Oh.....hes on fire and just cremated all my training axes running back and forth between weapon pile and a tree

Did your fortress get !!FUN!!inated as well?

I think you get their posessions as well as skeletons, or maybe just metals... I dunno, check it when you dig them out.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: November 29, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

I dug all the way across the map to get rid of the goblins there that just didn't want to go away (and I have no functioning military). When I had everything set up and got ready to open the trap, they were gone.  :'(

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: November 29, 2010, 04:27:10 pm »

I had set up a nice new fort, and started on Embark with a marksdwarf so I could get some hunting done. A season or two later and this guy has a huge number of kills, and is very nearly a master. I caught a Kobold theif at my entrance so I drafted him, he was indeed an archer and I checked he still had bolts on him [He had plenty] and gave him the kill order.

I watched as he charged the Kobold, and ran right into his dagger. He impaled himself on it and chopped up his own lung.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: November 29, 2010, 05:19:21 pm »

I got one of those, too. It's called "Glistenmetal". Couldn't be more ironic if it tried.

Kraz123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: November 29, 2010, 05:19:46 pm »

I just realized that for the last three or so years I've been hitting "o" instead of "t" when trading.  So many rough and cut gems... gone... :'(

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: November 29, 2010, 07:20:43 pm »

I just recently found out lime stone is a flux stone.

frozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: November 29, 2010, 09:18:37 pm »

I just recently found out lime stone is a flux stone.

I hear you on this one.
I have to keep referencing the wiki to remember which ones flux are and aren't.  But i try to do that on embark now so I pick a location that definitely has some.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 729