Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141394 times)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3105 on: November 19, 2010, 12:37:51 am »

Yeah i've seen snail, slug and tigermen in various spots.

My contribution to the fail parade.

Spent 3 hours setting up a trio of GCS to web across a line of cage traps for capturing FB's entering from the caverns.

Another 2 hours waiting for an FB.

Finally, he has come.  Giddy with anticipation I watch as he bee-lines for the cage corridor.
My expedition leader steps from behind a nearby rock pillar and sticks a masterwork dog bone bolt through his brain....I curse....apparently he's 'hunting'.

On the upside I now have a stack of 340 FB meat

It's entirely possible that I'm missing something here... But aren't FBs immune to cages anyway?
Emphasis (red) mine. I do believe that when things run into webs, it makes them vulnerable to traps the way unconsciousness does.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: November 19, 2010, 12:45:17 am »

I'm about four years into my current fort.  I just recently had an elven caravan arrive... my first caravan.  Wot?  Elves?  I always figured dwarves always arrived first, then the other races 'unlocked' for subsequent years.  Then it hit me that it was a rather long time to wait for a caravan to arrive.

Sure enough:

[SON_OF_A_BITCH]

Yeah, no goblins or humans, either... but I'm sure I saw them on embark.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: November 19, 2010, 12:48:03 am »

What graphics pack are you guys all playing with? I'm really digging the above font.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: November 19, 2010, 12:50:02 am »

What graphics pack are you guys all playing with? I'm really digging the above font.
Pheob's, with truetype turned on.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: November 19, 2010, 12:56:42 am »

Schweet. Thanks for the info.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: November 20, 2010, 04:16:45 pm »

Spend a good half hour setting up a tunnel system to bring water to my farming grounds.

Set up a flood gate, hooked it to a lever, pulled the lever. Designated last space of dirt to be mined, flooding the farmlands.

Forgot that I pulled the switch, come to the farmlands a few minutes later to see that its full of water. Over 200 spaces, full, of water.
6 Layers underground.

Goddamnit.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: November 21, 2010, 01:24:19 am »

I put a fishing point in the cavern as soon as I breached it. My fisherdorfs periodically go down there, then report to me that there are no fish. One has made Legendary by doing this.

This evening, I looked at the surface river in my territory, preparing to use it to flood a new underground plot for a farm and then drain the water into a reservoir for a hospital well.

The river has fish.

*facepalm*

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: November 21, 2010, 04:32:48 am »

finding out theres a new version while rebuilding moria(after it was overrun by orks,that is)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: November 21, 2010, 06:10:37 am »

Spent 3 hours setting up a trio of GCS to web across a line of cage traps for capturing FB's entering from the caverns.

It's entirely possible that I'm missing something here... But aren't FBs immune to cages anyway?
Emphasis (red) mine. I do believe that when things run into webs, it makes them vulnerable to traps the way unconsciousness does.

^^This.

I have since gotten this to work correctly, the (retractable) bridge into my fort is now lined with 4 cages, each containing a 'Fun surprise' for seiges that make it that far.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: November 21, 2010, 09:56:27 am »

I'm one of those oddballs that relies mostly on my military to handle attacks.  I do have a line of weapon traps, but I avoid making them overly high quality, and it's only one weapon in each.  Not enough to repel, or even significantly weaken in invasion, but enough to repel the odd monkey or two.

Ever since .31 came out my crossbow squad has been significantly weaker than the previous versions.  No matter what I did only a few of them would fire their crossbows.  Either because not all of them would have the sence to stand where they can actually shoot anything, or when they did shoot they would run out of ammo and not want to go get more.  They were under 's' menu move to station orders.

I just recently discovered that when under a burrow defence assignment if one crossbowman can shoot an enemy the entire squad will immediately move to a position within their burrow that allows them to shoot it too.  And not only that, if there is an ammo stockpile within the burrow they will actually reload their quivers when needed.

My single squad of crossbowmen, that previously could barely stop an ambush squad, just repelled an entire siege by themselves...Using wooden bolts.

And here I thought I had the military system all figured out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:43 am »

Brilliant discovery.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: November 21, 2010, 02:38:02 pm »

Brilliant discovery.

I... I think I might use crossbowdorfs now!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: November 21, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »

i just managed to flood my current fort with the genuis method of not checking what was below my hospital well. i cut a channel and  proceeded to fill it with a floodgate water lock... only to wonder why by the 4th or 5th load the 2x2 chamber feeding my well was dry. much to my amusement it had filled my masons workshop, which i discovered just as my mason and 4 haulers on door fitting duty died... of course the first door they fitted was the one that trapped the water drowning them.
This is a blank sig.

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:54 pm »

My most epic facepalm yet.

Having a skelatal horse come along and rock up by the entrance of the fort. So i thought, "why not get my military to kill it?". It  slaughtered my 2 military squads, armed in full iron by kicking them in the face. By the time it killed my military, it moved into my fortress. I thought it would be fun to whatch the horse get slaughtered by steel weapon traps, but that turned out to be FUN.

When i thought it could be over by a cage trap, messages came up saying "Urist McMechanic cancels load cage trap, need empty cage". I had a whole line of cage traps, but due to a recent goblin ambush, they were all used up, and my idiot self forgot to make more. My last defence was to draft my 72 remaining dwarves to the military, and tell them all to wrestle it to death! One by one, this FRIGEN HORSE killed them all. And those that crawled themselves to the hospital were the last to survive. The horse eventually rocked up in there, and killed the wounded sleeping in the beds.

The panic, the bloodshed, the tantrums, the !!FUN!!. So, are horses overpowered?
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: November 21, 2010, 10:45:43 pm »

So, I found a really good embark spot, heavily forested with plenty of foliage, some interesting looking cliffs, a river, flux, lots of visible metal, everything but a volcano (which is fine by me.) I spent the time trying to determine which of my favorite five friends get to come with me (the wife is a no brainer,) what skills everyone would get, what equipment everyone would have, everyone's pets, etc, etc. So, I attempted to get my metal industry started...

and I forgot the anvil. *facepalm*

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 729