Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141671 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2925 on: October 30, 2010, 01:54:39 am »

I forgot that if volcano's aren't being drained into HFS, they will constantly refill.

I only remembered that fact, AFTER REMOVING MORE OF THE VOLCANO WALL, SPEEDING UP THE BURNING DEATH.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Skivverus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: October 30, 2010, 02:17:52 am »

After killing the hill titan with the (fortunately non-poisonous) icy spit, I discovered one of my butchers trying to lug the carcass over to one of my butcher shops, with the little blue down-arrow indicating thirst. Nice - didn't know this guy was edible. And at 10k+ Uristweights, that had to be a lot of meat. Unfortunately, all that weight meant the butcher was making fairly slow progress to the shops; I'd set up shops both on the surface and in the first-level caverns to deal with all the wolves and deer that wandered by on the one hand, and all the troglodytes, elk birds, and crundles on the other.
Guess which one the butcher decides to try lugging the titan to.

Now, guess again.

Congratulations, you're right both times.

After dealing with a few things elsewhere in the fort, I came back to check on the butcher's progress, and found the titan corpse abandoned just outside the bottom of the cavern stairwell. Soon, it was picked up again - and this time the butcher (not my only one, incidentally) started dragging the thing back up the stairs.

End result: miasma, facepalm, and a dumped hill titan corpse.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: October 30, 2010, 02:53:17 am »

It's such a drag when they do that.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

lastrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: October 30, 2010, 06:03:59 am »

after 4 years of playing i finnaly found that my cavers doesn't contain ANY wood or shrub... and this happened when i don't have any underground seeds ( at embark seeds and drinks wasn't allowed somewhy... any world i make - no drinks and seeds ).
So crap... at least i'm good since humans still bring some distillable shrubs.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: October 30, 2010, 07:11:44 am »

after 4 years of playing i finnaly found that my cavers doesn't contain ANY wood or shrub... and this happened when i don't have any underground seeds ( at embark seeds and drinks wasn't allowed somewhy... any world i make - no drinks and seeds ).
So crap... at least i'm good since humans still bring some distillable shrubs.

I believe caverns need water for plants to appear.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

lastrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: October 30, 2010, 10:16:25 am »

No, there were mud and on last level bloody saplings/trees appeared, but no shrubs, at all!
When i lowered amount of semimegabeast caverns, everything become ok on new map.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: October 30, 2010, 12:19:03 pm »

A ratman thief cut off my militia commander's head with a copper dagger just now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: October 30, 2010, 01:49:24 pm »

Did you know that if you channel all cardinal directions around a well, it goes away?

...damn, I liked that bucket.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: October 30, 2010, 04:06:43 pm »

Biggest Face Palm I've had was when I gave a -Steel War Hammer- to my recruit, and let him spar against my legendary swordsdwarf, the recruit smashed his head in, then, my fort died to 6 ambushes at once... 
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: October 30, 2010, 04:47:01 pm »

Dwarf 1: Hey, look, an ambush.
Overseer: Every one back to the fort! Legendary axedwarves, get to the defense line! We will stand against these... What?
Dwarf 2 as been struck down.
Dwarf 3 as been struck down.
Dwarf 4 as been struck down.
[...]
Dwarf 143 as been struck down.
No more settlement.

Little, little problem with the "floodingmagmatrapofthedeaththatkills". You know. I use a lever system to lock some doors and get the goblins to the good ones, to burn them. Sad thing is, i selected the wrong burrow, so my legendary axedwarves have all melted in the burrow "Lure them here, nobles" while my whole fortress was going to the defense line.

*Facepalm*

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: October 30, 2010, 05:41:46 pm »

Forgetting to set up proper defenses after making an expensive artifact. Cue settlement slaughter by a small swordsgoblin ambush.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: October 30, 2010, 06:10:37 pm »

My first goblin ambush consisted of only Lashers, they killed several dwarfs before I realized what the hell was happening. While this was happening a Cave Crocodile started butchering the dwarfs in my dining room.

Turns out I forgot to lock the door to the caverns, and I also build cages, instead of cage traps....

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: October 31, 2010, 12:53:03 am »

So, the elves that visit my fort bring me lots of wood (good thing, since my fort is on a beach that, despite what the embark info said, has no trees whatsoever!)

So they visit for the second time, and I trade with them and wait for them to leave, and I get the message that they do so.  Some months later "Elf merchant has become Melancholy." "Elf merchant has gone berserk!"

****! I raised my drawbridge for some reason, and I forgot to lower it again to let the merchants out!

I now have a berserk elf merchant (goes down quick to my untrained military) and a berserk mule (takes out a glass maker's spine before finally succumbing to about 5 dogs and a couple of raw recruits- the glass maker dies by suffocation.)

one dead glass maker, a couple minor injuries otherwise... and my food stock pile and main dining hall are covered in blood and **** bins of cloth and other worthless junk the elves were carrying.

So I save scum to not have to deal with cleaning up the merchants' junk. (the glass maker was a recent migrant, who cares, and the rest is just training for my medical dorfs; yay training!)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: October 31, 2010, 01:41:01 pm »

I just almost had a heart attack because on my new embark I found a little group of "g"s. I dug as fast as I could equipped my lone axe dwarf, and assigned my hunting dogs. Then I looked at the invaders. They were groundhogs not goblins.
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

CaveIn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: October 31, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »

I was just finished laying out this bedroom design: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:Hactar1_Mandelbrot_Tree.png
My miner happily ran to work, and a few seconds later...
You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground
FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

(I know there's probably some script to lay out this sort of thing, but when I'm going fractal I want to do the work myself <.<)
I can see my hammer dwarf standing next to a beat bloody elf asking :"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"....."What do you mean you don't know?!" *BANG there goes another rib*
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 729