Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142200 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2895 on: October 24, 2010, 04:06:44 pm »

Weeeeeee! I never learn... Another cave-in just took place in my new fortress.
Note to self : When deconstructing the firing platform of my barbacane, remember that unsupported corner fortification WILL fall, and that they WILL suck anyone in the deconstruction team (including several children) to smash into the drawbridge, 3 z-level below.
Well, at least nobody fell in the moat, and my med-team has a good reason to erase all these (v. rusty) tags. They will have many opportunities to train their skills on this new batch of badly mangled sacks of smashed bones and crushed flesh patients.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: October 24, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »

Rather recently I made a bridge out of ice without really thinking about the fact that a bridge isn't actually a construction...the bridge melted when summer came separating my dwarves from each other. They're  currently okay and I'm digging for stone for another bridge.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: October 24, 2010, 06:05:24 pm »

Wait, an ice bridge can melt? I had no idea.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: October 24, 2010, 06:10:32 pm »

He probably dug it out and didn't make one from stones made of ice.  He said it wasn't constructed so it was probably just a natural formation of ice carved into a bridge.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: October 24, 2010, 06:27:15 pm »

Actually it was constructed out of the stones but I figure since it wasn't a wall or something else that's a (C)onstruction it melted.

Meh either way a made a bridge with ice boulder's and it vanished as soon as the river thawed.

Lancefighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: October 25, 2010, 03:49:50 am »

I leave DF on virtually all day.. Ends up crashing about 8ish hours in. Mind you, this has happened multiple times..
I finally post somewhere raging about it...

Only to be told theres an autosave feature.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:05 am »

I hate caveins.
I saved right after a forgotten beast shows up and starts making its way through my fortress. In order to do so, it walked across the bottom of the deep (10+ z-levels) garbage pit, which was normal and expected (one side connects to the rest of the fortress through a very long tunnel, the other has stairs leading to, or from, the caverns). The beast actually has little to do with the facepalm.
It comes from the fact I'm digging/channeling the last bits of floor off at the many upper levels of the pit. they tend to hinder the fall of the garbage and, in the future, enemies, so understandably, I want to make it as deadly as possible. I'm being extremely cautious as NOT to cause yet another cavein and lose a precious miner for real.
Right after I sent a dorf to build a wall in the tunnel the monster has taken and prevent it from eating/poisoning everyone, I see an announcement.
What, another cavein.
I zoom.
The legendary miner not only landed where the beast can get him (but it is too obsessed by the wall to catch him apparently), but he is COMPLETELY UNHARMED and proceeds to walk down in the caverns to finish some tasks I'd assigned in the caverns and forgotten to cancel. He can't go back in my fortress, but doesn't seem to mind. Oh well, Urist McMiner, you'll get eaten, after all, I don't know how high you fell and you should have died, being devoured by a forgotten beast or a troll is just another way to go. I'm not rescuing you.
That was only the first facepalm.
Litterally 30 seconds after that, another cavein happens.
I zoom, semi-expecting another idiot to survive.
Nope.
Urist McCompleteMoron, who also happened to be the friggin' manager, had apparently fallen from the very top of the pit and was instantly crushed to a pulp after making a hole in the very bottom. Never found the body. Only blood. Must have tried to dig out a channel the way some saw tree branches while sitting on them.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Thank Armok (?) the game crashed again slowly after that. I cancelled everything that had to do with channels and digging. The beast was successfully imprisoned, and no further miner died. Also, very surprisingly, this time, the mason build the wall while standing on the right side.
I wonder if I could lure forgotten beasts underneath the garbage pit and cause a well-placed cavein, better a random miner than my squad and half the dorfs...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: October 25, 2010, 01:57:36 pm »

In my greedy digging of Adamantine I released HFS and watched as my dwarves and soldiers were mercilessly into pieces of fun. Then my cave-in device I made didn't work for some reason thus preventing me from saving myself (and slaughtering 99% of my dwarves).
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: October 25, 2010, 05:22:43 pm »

Well today I made a giant pumpstack about 50 levels up... I dug into a bout 5 aquifers, and the water is completely around all the walls of the tower down to the magma sea that I had to board up. Only problem is, I finally was going to add in the screw pumps... UNTIL I REALIZED I FORGOT TO COVER UP AN AQUIFER, AND HALF MY PUMP STACK WAS FLOODED!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( There goes about half my stone resources and about 3 hours of work... Looks like im going to need dfliquids for awhile...

!!+facepalm+!!

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: October 26, 2010, 10:48:04 am »

Last night I was constructing a stonecrafting area where you could view the floor below from the floor above via a large open space.  Channeling out the squares past the first row required floors, so some scaffold landings ended up being built.  When all the channeling was done, i mass designated remove construction on the ramps.  Urist McImWithStupid and Urist McStupid ended up working at the same time on the two pieces of scaffold that were between them and the ground holding the scaffold.  My craftsdwarf was surprised by them and their end of the scaffold suddenly going from above to onto his shop.  Do not believe there were any injuries, although loosing those two might be worth it.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2905 on: October 27, 2010, 02:38:05 pm »

Walled dwarf into room with dwarf soon going haywire
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Tupu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: October 27, 2010, 03:16:15 pm »

Assigned two war dogs to a single dwarf hunter that already had 2 dogs assigned. I meant to assign them to the other hunter....
Well, let's put it under a long time since last playtime.... Atleast I know where he goes from the 4 adult war dogs and 3 puppies that follow him around...

btw, first post <.<

EDIT: New facepalm. Thought three cage traps and the moat-wall with a drawbridge that is always down will keep those goblins away.
Three champions, one elite wrestler, two haulers and a stonecrafter dead. Some useless animals died too. I apparently got three gobbos killed, and two trapped.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:07:13 pm by Tupu »
"Histories of Greed and Labor"

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: October 27, 2010, 04:23:17 pm »

Managed to catapult my broker off the drawbridge while testing it, tossing him into the pit beneath. He died upon impact with the floor several levels below.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: October 27, 2010, 06:50:25 pm »

I built a magma cannon, and was just finished when a bunch of goblins showed up

Only issue is that I forgot that I built 3 wooden blocks ages ago and I apparently accidentally used them in the pumps... Predictably, fun ensued - the pumps deconstructed and started flooding magma into my fortress, flooding the lever that I was going to turn off the whole thing with (Yeah I know - planning fail). So then I had magma flooding into my fort - and did I mention the goblins?

Face, meet palm. Repeatedly.

So that's how my last fortress ended...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: October 27, 2010, 08:02:45 pm »

Had a dwarf put in some floodgates for my farm, but the idiot built himself into the little pit that was created before breaching the water source. No worries though, right? I mean after all, I just need to build the mechanisms for the lever. Guess who wandered in with the builder?
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 729