Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142609 times)

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2715 on: October 04, 2010, 09:09:52 am »

I've dug around a entire demon fortress once and surrounded it, i never went in it though for the fear of the one-humped zombie camel and other demons.

Dwarves: I have you surrounded, come out peacefully.
Demon on the other side of 1 square wall: RAWRRR!
Random Miner: Digs out 1 square wall: *is repeatedly raped by demons*
Dwarves: CHARGE!!!!

Of course, I don't really want to remember the rest of what happened that day... (On my friends fort) It wasn't my fault I swear  ;)

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: October 04, 2010, 01:11:05 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones
!!!!!!!!!
RAWR!!!
just discovered it!
I am a Goober.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: October 04, 2010, 05:09:21 pm »

I hit warm stone and I thought " cool magma, I'll just dig to the top of the magma sea.

What I didn't know was that my first exploritory shaft would pierce a vein of adamantite... with predictable results... Atleast I now have REALLY REALLY nice picks for the new miners. I gave my last pick to the sole survivor, whom I named Kilroy the Brave.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2718 on: October 04, 2010, 05:57:29 pm »

It was winter and some dwarves had gotten the bad habit of using the iced over river as a shortcut while carrying cut wood.  Then the ice poofed and I'm short two more dwarves. 

Might be worth looking into: convert stones laying around into rough floors. Much masonry skills gained.
Safer pools because you never know which way they'll dodge in the heat of the battle.

apparently Ettins are vulnerable to cage traps. I now have a caged Ettin.

Vanilla DF problem that wooden cages (smaller than wagons) stop dragons and colossi. One of the reasons I prefer modding and fine-tuning the DF.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:59:51 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

GHudston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: October 04, 2010, 08:54:41 pm »

I recently decided that I'd try playing DF in the classic ascii for the first time (not quite, I'm still using a square tileset ;D) so that I could get a lot more onto my screen at once.

So I embark at my new fortress of Cryptzeal and begin chipping away at the mountains when, suddenly, I spy a pair of lower case g's on the horizon. Now, I've read enough "Let's Play"'s to know that a lower case g is a goblin. I have no dwarves with any combat ability and I haven't even begun to move into the safety of the mountain so, naturally, I nearly have a heart attack and start making emergency battle plans.

They were goats.

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: October 04, 2010, 09:49:02 pm »

Well just had a facepalm moment myself.  Was trying to collapse a large part of the overhanging floor sticking out above my fortress entrance by channeling it off.  Even though I went to the trouble of setting a restricted area where NOT to stand (I'm guessing they ignore this when performing certain tasks?), he still decided to move to the wrong side just as he dug the last piece.  And died.

Perhaps I should've just walled off that area instead.  Then again, I have the feeling he would still be in the same predicament.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: October 05, 2010, 02:03:09 am »

I decided to get rid of some unwanted items with magma. The problem: some kind of non-magma safe material got into my door holding back the magma, which got destroyed, so I couldn't shut off the flow. No problem, said I, just channel out the floor above, and pour water on the magma. Another problem: I designated 2 rows at once for channeling. The result was predictable: a cave in killed my miner, and some other dwarves (due to magma mist I think). OK, be more cautious next time.

A bit of time later, other dwarves start bleeding to death. WTF? Looking at it, the magma was flowing out from the room I was channeling above. At the place of the prior cave in.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: October 05, 2010, 02:11:44 am »

I facepalmed when I realized I could go into the stocks screen and designate all the kittens for slaughter there.  I was tracking them down through the unit menu and zooming in on announcements and it took for freakin ever.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: October 05, 2010, 11:20:23 am »

Note to self: You can't use magma to melt things if you turn temperature off.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2724 on: October 05, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »

playing version which has invasions off and then patching to version which fixes invasions is good idea.

However its not good idea if you dont have any military dwarfs trained and equipped before applying the version.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: October 05, 2010, 03:06:22 pm »

I played for around three hours straight, and then- I swear this is true- the second I went to save the game, my computer crashed.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: October 05, 2010, 04:20:31 pm »

This crash is why I now have seasonal autosaves. With seasonal backups too. But I feel your pain >.<

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: October 05, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »

While we're talking about save failures...

I recently played a fortress and for the first time managed to dispatch the first ambush without suffering horrible losses. I decided to save so I could be sure that I do not have to replay the situation.

The game crashed when it tried to save.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: October 05, 2010, 11:17:52 pm »

Another one...

A goblin ambush spawned. I thought the entrance traps could handle 'em. Most of them got splattered, but some decided to stay at the entrance.

And I forgot to set the civilian alert level...

A dwarf rushed to the entrance, saw a goblin and ran away. The goblin Axeman marched over the jammed weapon traps chasing the poor dwarf, mauled the guard dogs and got inside the fortress.

Many dwarves and animals suffered... Until the Axeman met a War Tiger.

I thought he would meet the same fate as the others. To my amazement, it turned out neither could hurt each other.

The battle continued, until they were outside. The Tiger chased the goblin to the map edge and the goblin was never seen again.

That War Tiger deserves a reward in my opinion.

Oh, and I also found out that cave spider/leather clothing is surprisingly effective against bronze weapons. ???
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: October 05, 2010, 11:49:14 pm »

I'm... just going to leave this picture here...

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 729