Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141497 times)

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2685 on: September 29, 2010, 04:23:42 pm »

Just embarked in a temperate biome, which meant snowy winters. My caravan happens to land halfway on top of a frozen pool. I couldn't tell at first because of the snow covering, but I realized a little later that both have my goods and my temporary butchers were on top of a frozen pool. So I deconstruct my butcher's and set up a refuse stockpile for the wolf bones and fat. Nobody felt the need to move them there, but no big deal. The pool melts, but my losses are minimal. Or so I thought.
I was setting up my metal industry. I built two smelters, one for coke and one for ore. Then I started building a forge.
No access to fire-safe anvil.
Then it hit me.
It was in the lake.
That's my metalworking industry dead until the winter.

Drain the pool. Dig down next to it, make a smallish room, and drain said pool into the room. TaDa! you have your anvil back.
It's late. I totally didn't think of that.
And then turn that room into a farm.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: September 29, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »

Just embarked in a temperate biome, which meant snowy winters. My caravan happens to land halfway on top of a frozen pool. I couldn't tell at first because of the snow covering, but I realized a little later that both have my goods and my temporary butchers were on top of a frozen pool. So I deconstruct my butcher's and set up a refuse stockpile for the wolf bones and fat. Nobody felt the need to move them there, but no big deal. The pool melts, but my losses are minimal. Or so I thought.
I was setting up my metal industry. I built two smelters, one for coke and one for ore. Then I started building a forge.
Then it hit me.
It was in the lake.

Drain the pool. Dig down next to it, make a smallish room, and drain said pool into the room. TaDa! you have your anvil back.

That's exactly what I was thinking!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: September 29, 2010, 05:58:12 pm »

Then it hit me.
It was in the lake.

That's exactly what I was thinking!
Same here
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17:19 pm »

There are people who farm in different ways? Anvil-fresh water is the best for your dwarven crops!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Voiddarkness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: October 01, 2010, 12:58:01 am »

Embarking and setting up quickly outside until the  fort was secure to move in.......

Didn't realize the skeleton bald eagles 30 z-levels up would terrify my dwarves from acquiring the necessary food and booze from the very nearby stockpiles outside. 

Watched for 30 minutes as they slowly starved to death and dehydrated while they ran almost to the stockpile and scream away in fear from the eagles.

You'd think their hunger pains would eventually circumvent their fear. Damn you pansy dwarves

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: October 01, 2010, 05:47:59 am »

Constructing a multiple z-level tower, only to find a mountain titan is paying a visit.
I managed to seal him in, but the cancellation spam is too great.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: October 01, 2010, 12:56:08 pm »

I was making a huge elaborate farm and was going to muddy it with a brook.

Then I realized that brooks refill. FAST.

And that I forgot to put a floodgate with a lever.
i like goats

link6065

• Bay Watcher
  • Willist thou fight, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:30 pm »

I built an obsiden tower, and had my swordsmen training up top. they all parished in a bloody mess or fell 28 stories to there doom.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: October 01, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »

Built a giant 70 z-level pump stack, so much time spent making things and digging. The pumps were free hanging mostly. I turn it on, it fucking bursts into flames then the entire comes down on top of itself. Later examination reveals the pipes and corkscrews for a MAGMA pump were wooden.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: October 01, 2010, 04:37:09 pm »

Built a giant 70 z-level pump stack, so much time spent making things and digging. The pumps were free hanging mostly. I turn it on, it fucking bursts into flames then the entire comes down on top of itself. Later examination reveals the pipes and corkscrews for a MAGMA pump were wooden.

lol

that sucks, you should have thrown your kittens in there
i like goats

Zemalf

• Bay Watcher
  • Be excellent to each other
    • View Profile
    • Zemalf's Let's Play Videos and DF Tutorials
« Reply #2695 on: October 01, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »

I found a lovely natural waterfall when I embarked, with the water falling deep underground (about ten levels) and post-waterfall brook going out the map underground. Very beautiful indeed... I immediately started planning to use the brook for power and water.

With my fortress just turning 2 years, I was on the last stages of harnessing the power from the brook with waterwheel farm (water and irrigation was OK already). Everything was ready and all I had to do was finish it, letting the water out just next to the waterfall (back into the brook) and pull the levers to let the water flow.

The chief (expedition leader) and the cook, both legendary miners, and also lovers, volunteered for the job. It was supposed to be simple channeling job, no biggie. But at the last minute, I changed my plans as I realized I didn't have to go above the ground to let the water out of my tunnels, but I could dig straight into the waterfall instead and still be safe, or so I thought... Miners went at it, and then all hell mist broke loose. Water flowing, a whole lot of mist everywhere and I couldn't see my mining-duo anywhere...

First I didn't know what happened. Then I realized that the chief was dead. It took me a moment to pause the game, and then I found the body under the waterfall, ten or so levels down...

But the cook lived to tell the tale. After witnessing terrible death of her lover, she was comforted by a lovely waterfall, shrugged it all off and fell asleep :)

true Iron Chef she was - Smashed leg and broken finger, but nothing too serious (yet), and after she woke up, she made a stairway up for herself, and once on the surface, she limped towards the hospital...

...but the above was not the face palm moment

it was when I saw a message that my "doc" had died "after falling and meeting a solid object"

I forgot to cancel the mining plans that caused the whole waterfall mining accident and the good'ol Doc wasn't too scared of the chief dying and seeing the cook limp out of the mist with bloody leg and hand, but rushed in to finish the job...

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #2696 on: October 01, 2010, 08:52:44 pm »

Just got a fresh wave of immigrants in. Six of them were Metalsmiths, novice to adequate (I already have 3 legendary metalsmiths, thanks to threeartifact iron grates). Eight of them are Accomplished-or-better Liars. One of them is an Adequate Pacifier, Adequate Intimidator. He's got a grating, raspy voice and is married to a Novice Negotiator.

The only ones who did NOT have any social skill is a lovely couple with 2.5 children, a cat and a dog. The wife is a Grand Master Cheese Maker / Novice Weaponsmith. The husband is a High Master Soaper / Novice Armorer.

Truly, words fail me.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: October 01, 2010, 09:02:02 pm »

I just spent ten minutes wondering why the hell I couldn't smelt the tons of native copper my miners had been shitting out recently, only to realize that I had been trying to queue the tasks at my magma kiln.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: October 01, 2010, 10:57:18 pm »

My military keep stabbing giant eagles in the face when they're about a couple of inches from my cage traps. :/
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #2699 on: October 01, 2010, 11:09:16 pm »

My military keep stabbing giant eagles in the face when they're about a couple of inches from my cage traps. :/

I feel your pain.

Just had my first goblin ambush in .14 and I got so excited to try out the new military screen, that I selected all my squads and told them to run out and kill the gobbos. So, they each grabbed their equipment and walked, one-by-one, out my trapped entryway, into the valley beneath the gobbos, where their crossbows had clear line of sight. Would've lost them all if it hadn't been for the line of cage traps I'd set up to collect meat-animals with.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 729