Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142661 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2520 on: September 09, 2010, 07:55:23 pm »

I was changing my fortress entrance by walling off the old one and creating a new one. The new one was going to be a long bridge that could be retracted to drop enemies in to a watery pool of death. It was the surface layer so I designated a 4x10 channel to be dug over the pit. I The miners were too stupid to realise that  land cannot magically support itself so once the perimeter was dug the entire thing came crashing down... That wasn't the end of it though, someone some of the earth and the dwarves punctured right through three z-levels of rooms and finally came to a bloody end smack bang in the middle of the dormitory. It caused a couple extra deaths and a LOT of clean up -_-

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:43 pm »

Rhesus Macaque ninja'd his way through my cage traps, bit a weaponsmith in the face, and then escaped off the map with a legendary, artifact platinum shield. Best part: the thing had engravings of dwarves striking down macaques on it.

This isn't a Face Palm, 'cos it's epicness is all WIN, now you just need an Artificact decorated with images of the above theft...

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: September 09, 2010, 09:10:27 pm »

Rhesus Macaque ninja'd his way through my cage traps, bit a weaponsmith in the face, and then escaped off the map with a legendary, artifact platinum shield. Best part: the thing had engravings of dwarves striking down macaques on it.

This isn't a Face Palm, 'cos it's epicness is all WIN, now you just need an Artificact decorated with images of the above theft...

That would make my life. It one occurs, I WILL post it here xD

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: September 10, 2010, 03:15:50 am »

I had a new fortress with only two rooms dug and I dug a reservoir for a well, but the river i was diverting was higher than may fortress so it started flooding. My miners swam, two surfacing in the river and one swimming up to the main fortress level. He ran back along the narrow corridor to the other dwarves and I designated a wall built to dam the flow before my two rooms flooded. The water got there before my mason did. I decided to just block off the entrances to the rooms instead, but again the water got there first. This kept happening until I was pushed back almost to the initial stairway, where I finally got a wall up. With the stairway blocked off, half of my dwarfs drowned.

I was expecting them to swim to the surface, but I feel really stupid for not having my freed miners dig a stairway to free the rest.

Azhral

• Bay Watcher
  • Lets get Tactical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: September 10, 2010, 03:50:19 pm »

I just drained the 3rd cavern level (full of water) into the magma sea, just to see what happens.

Seasonal autosaves FTW.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: September 10, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

I just drained the 3rd cavern level (full of water) into the magma sea, just to see what happens.

Seasonal autosaves FTW.

Seam cloud of death?

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: September 10, 2010, 05:08:18 pm »

appointed a captain of the guard to hopefully put a stop to the recent vandalism and I took care to choose one without any fighting skills at all. Turned out she had the Very Strong trait..
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: September 10, 2010, 06:11:51 pm »

My Accomplished Miner, Tholtig, mined out an entire fortress himself with his bare hands (which were holding a pick). He was by far my favourite, and I spent much time checking specifically on him, even turning off mining for everybody else, lest they steal his thunder. Then came time to build an underground farm, without any mud in sight. Tricky, yes, but there are lakes above us, right? we can channel tunnels to empty the entire lake into, correct? There will be absolutely no danger of Tholtig the Awesome Miner getting washed away with the water as it floods down the tunnel into a vertical shaft, yes?

You'll be missed, Tholtig. My bad.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: September 10, 2010, 10:11:51 pm »

(This is more of a "what I learned today" thing, but sticking it here since I can't find a relevant thread.)

!!Diamonds!! are forever.

Edit: they finally burned off after a year.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:45:43 pm by Eidako »

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: September 10, 2010, 11:36:40 pm »

I guess the laws of thermodynamics got distracted by it's shiny.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: September 10, 2010, 11:49:35 pm »

Third fortress, after flooding the first, and embarking in a region with no coal, ore or wood in the second.  Attacked by a Bronze Collosus before I'd sorted out 2010 militia.  Epic battle at my fort's narrow entrance, with dogs flying, dwarves striking, an Elven merchant wandering through the middle of the carnage, and me not knowing what was happening.  After something seemed to have happened, I couldn't find the BC, and turns out I'd caught it in a cage trap.

Yay! Urist McHauler took it down the the animal storage plot, between my workshop and my bedroom levels. 

Later on, merchants turn up, and I see the BC listed as a saleable item under pets.  Sweet - probably worth a fair bit! I didn't realise that Urist McHauler wouldn't just pick up the cage...

The carnage on my militia to catch it was awesome.  The carnage in the middle of my fort, with the remnants of the militia stationed at the entrance 20 levels up, was ... complete. Nothing survived.

I felt very very stupid and am now extra careful with anything in a cage.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: September 11, 2010, 06:29:24 am »

SuddenlyCreepers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: September 11, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »

Well, I was starting to actually learn how to play this game.

Food supply?  Check.
Good supply of stone? Check.
Crafts?  Check.
Booze?...uhoh.

Elephant blood filled rivers, elephant blood filled rivers everywhere.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: September 11, 2010, 02:18:07 pm »

A few minutes after activating my pump and discovering that yes, hooray!  I *did* understand magma pressurization correctly! and waiting for the five z-levels of reservoirs to fill up...

Wait, where did that cinnabar vein come from?  I don't remember mining out cinna--Oh.  Right.  Of course.  *facepalm*

Thus was illustrated the importance of knowing the difference between upward stairs and downward stairs.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: September 11, 2010, 02:24:41 pm »

So this is what happens when you leave food at the wagon too long.  :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 729