Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2145166 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2070 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:40 am »

I have created lots and lots of stuff to trade and I have always offred it instead of trading.
I haven't noticed the difference between "offer" and "trade" before my current fort...
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 18, 2010, 07:29:52 am »

Wait. How did you end up with any merchants goods then if you kept giving away your goods?
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 18, 2010, 07:45:54 am »

My facepalm was building an impalement pit for useless migrants and nobles,a dwarf tantrumed on there and broke it,then another dwarf tantrumed and broke it a few turns after,it happened about 3 more times then I just decided to impale all tantruming dwarfs,and then a fire started somehow and killed 70% of my dwarfs.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2073 on: July 18, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »

Wait. How did you end up with any merchants goods then if you kept giving away your goods?

I did not. I usually bought more food/booze/picks/battleaxes and I never bothered to chech if I actually got more of them. I once deconstructed the depot to steal the goods thought, but that was because offering wooden item had pissed off the elf merchant.

EDIT: Oh wait a new one, I ordered dorfs to createa roof to my ballista tower but i managed to trap them to the roof with no way down. There were 2 of them and I didn't notice anything before the other one died. The other tantrumed right after getting down with help of other dorfs. And he was one of the few to be assigned weapon and armor. (militia commander actually with legendatry weapon skill...)

You can quess what happened. More fun.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:27:30 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 18, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »

I found a cavern and dug out the support to make my u/p stairs. the whole MAP almost collapsed!!!

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 18, 2010, 02:31:55 pm »

I found a cavern and dug out the support to make my u/p stairs. the whole MAP almost collapsed!!!
Awesome.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: July 18, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »

Okay, now I have something to add to this. :) My dwarves embarked in a place with a river head in a valley. I ordered the miner to dig out a large square in the valley to make home there, relatively safe from evil thieves and snatchers. After some time of digging there was a cave-in which knocked McMiner unconscious and made him fall into the river. There he drowned. *head->desk*

Has been the shortest fortress game I've ever played. No more than 5 minutes or something... :)

Xionis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: July 18, 2010, 05:24:11 pm »

I set up an intricate multi-level GAWRDS (Goblin Armor and Weaponry Reclamation/Disposal System) facility complete with drowning chambers (for Goblin Disposal) pump stacks (to allow for Post-Goblin Disposal Goblin Armor and Weaponry Reclamation), and even a pleasant statue garden to remind my executioners of the lighter side of life.  All was ready and set, I had tapped the nearby brook for water to fill my chambers, and ensured the floodgates were closed to prevent any UFEs (Unplanned Flooding Events).  I brought my first vic--Disposal Unit down to the first chamber, a goblin maceman who had attempted an ambush on some of my dwarves a season or two ago.  Locked him in...closed the floodgate sealing his drowning chamber.  A dwarf gleefully pulled the "Dispose" Lever and several hundred gallons of Dwarf Approved Goblin Disposal Fluid 2 (water, I'm sure you know what Fluid 1 is) proved once again that goblins are not adapted for life underwater.  Reversing the Dispose lever, the dwarf then scooted around the corner to begin pumping the Disposal Fluid back into the above chamber.

And nothing happens....

My gorgeous facility, brought to it's knees on it's maiden run by the fact that some Dwarf had somehow been told to construct the pumpstack....backwards....
A hasty retooling and GAWRDS was back online...but it was truly a /facepalm for me.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: July 19, 2010, 04:51:14 am »

Had been playing with some levers and mechanisms without really knowing much about them, like that doors connected to a lever cant be opened without pulling the lever. In retrospective it do make sense. Now I just need to get "Died for science" engraved on Urist McFarmers tomb.

Also tried starting on my underground tree farm, but thougth my dwarfs was using too long to make pump materials and mechanisms, so I went ahead and redirected brook into the tree room without it since it was on the same z-level so it would just run back out into the brook. Now that the room is nice and muddy I try to find the lever to stop the water and I remember I was going to use the mechanisms with floodgates to stop the water.

/facepalm

at least now I got a reason to start project drowning chamber.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: July 19, 2010, 01:02:32 pm »

After finding magma and the third cavern, I decided to move my entire fortress down to between those two levels. My worldgen has approximately 20 levels between features, giving me plenty of room.

So everything moved down - stockpiles, meeting zones, everything. The last step was to irrigate the new farms.

I got a new lesson in water pressure.

I tapped the cavern lake from underneath, as I figured the pressure would help fill up my reservoir quickly so I could resume operations with minimal downtime. Oh, it filled up quickly, alright.

I took a lot of precautions: I had multiple doors, an airlock system, and I even modded dwarves to have a speed of ten so I wouldn't lose this particular miner. But as soon as the cavern water was breached - woooosh!

I had to savescum just to see what happened, it moved so fast. First frame, miner breaches the wall. Second frame, water rushes in, the dwarf barely managing to stay ahead of the flow. Fifth frame, dwarf makes it to the first door, 7/7 water directly behind him. Sixth frame, dwarf opens the door. Seventh frame - the door's still open? Eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh - door's still open, water rushing through. After a long, long while, the door finally shuts, but not before half the cavern water has found a new home in my fortress, having followed the dwarf to the bottom.

The whole fortress drowned.

Next time? I'm using a sacrificial miner dwarf, and I'm walling that sucker in.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: July 19, 2010, 02:59:12 pm »

Dwarf digs his way down to a convenient magma shaft so I can create an above-ground magma smelter area in my future dwarf tower.  I then designate a series of up/down stairways so he can get out.  Halfway he stops and goes "on break".  Now he's slowly dying of thirst because he can't be arsed to dig his way up, and the other dwarf can't be arsed to dig down to him (also on break).
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 19, 2010, 06:40:03 pm »

Dwarf digs his way down to a convenient magma shaft so I can create an above-ground magma smelter area in my future dwarf tower.  I then designate a series of up/down stairways so he can get out.  Halfway he stops and goes "on break".  Now he's slowly dying of thirst because he can't be arsed to dig his way up, and the other dwarf can't be arsed to dig down to him (also on break).

A break is a break, man. These dwarves work hard you know, so they deserve their breaks even if it means death.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 19, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »

That's gonna be a pretty long break.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 19, 2010, 11:29:15 pm »

I haven't played in a long time. So I downloaded 40d (I suck at playing any games, FBs would kill me) and prepared for a challenge not listed in the wiki. All men in military and all females mine/farm/cook/administrate/nobels with exception of consorts. After I finally got 6-F/1-M setup, I distributed my points and whatnot.

And had only brought with me plump helmets for eating. I forgot 'all 2p meat for barrel' trick, failing to realize additional plants would make varied booze to keep up happyness, no animals (a lot of plump helmets).

And I then embarked. Upon a cave. With a named Giant Desert Scorpion. Who shortly after gained a title.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: July 19, 2010, 11:38:10 pm »

Okay, so I just started a fort. bout 50% of it is a giant river system, covered with murky pools. Luckily, it was all frozen, since it was a freezing biome, afterall. So I get to work, trying to dam the river up, and then the entire river unthaws and kills 6 of my dwarves, the wagon, most of the supplies, and most of the animals.

Luckily, the Trader was off doing something else, so he survived, with a few barrels of food and a battle axe.

This is going to be fun. :3
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 729