Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142700 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2010 on: July 06, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »

Set the fort to pause on citizen death: edit [CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R] into announcements-init.

Neat! Is there a command to zoom to death too?

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: July 07, 2010, 07:04:41 am »

You just need to put the appropriate arguments in the token. announcements.txt has an explanation of that. In the line that was given:

[CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]

You find CITIZEN_DEATH, which by default has after it A_D:D_D:UCR_A. A_D means it gets displayed in adventure mode, D_D means it's displayed in dwarf mode(so-and-so has been struck down.), UCR_A means it'll be stuck in a combat report if there is one involving that unit(but if there isn't one already, a new one won't be made). You could leave the UCR_A in there as well. That way, any combat reports that directly result in a citizen getting killed will still have the message to that effect in them. (Bleeding to death doesn't seem to count.)

BOX pops up a message box, as when you find adamantine. P pauses the game, R recenters it. So the line you were given will zoom to it already!

Edit: You don't even need the P in there. BOX implies a pause - the game will not keep running behind a pop-up message. R[ECENTER] might or might not work, though - some events can't readily be centered on. I think a citizen death should be possible(except for maybe falling into nothingness... though with HFS who knows if that even happens anymore), but I'm not terribly inclined to kill my dwarves just to test it. Too darned nice to them...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:29:14 am by Shurhaian »
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 07, 2010, 09:50:17 am »

Recently I:
  • Made an ex-miner the Captain of the Guard and forgot to forbid his pick.
  • Purposely ignored a production mandate by my mayor. (Screw you, mayor, even if I had aluminum, I wouldn't use it for your whims.)
  • Forgot to build a jail in the current fortress.

Since there wasn't a chain to lock him to, the Legendary Clothworker held accountable for the mayor's failed mandate didn't do so well after getting pick'd in the face.

He was the main source of trading income from the fortress. Back to stone crafts, I guess.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 07, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »

Train a new one on pigtails. Its easy enough to grow a couple thousand. :P

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 08, 2010, 04:23:06 am »

I just learned that, although extremely amusing conceptually, you can't actually sell goblin thieves to the merchant caravans.  (Or, at the very least, that I'm doing it very, very wrong.)

Had these goblins sitting around in my stockpile for a while, and was contemplating various amusing ways to dispose of them.  Caravan shows up, and I'm thinking 'hey, problem solved!'

No, not really.  I see a message saying "Urist McHauler cancels Bring Item to Depot: Interrupted by Goblin Thief"... and before I even have time to think 'damnit', there's a whole flood of similar messages.  Sure enough, my haulers went and freed the goblins before attempting to move the cages.

Worse still, the goblins are apparently armed and stabbing people.  Fortunately, the goblins were freed in the animal stockpile, which is full of stray war dogs milling around, plus one war lion (yay, elves!).  Otherwise, that could've been kinda Fun.  Actual kill credit goes to a legendary miner who was passing through, though... everyone else is freaking out and running around, and the war beasts are failing to hit the goblin through his impenetrable silk armor, while this guy walks up and one-shots with 'The Miner strikes The Goblin Thief in the head with his (copper pick) tearing apart the muscle and shattering the skull through the (cave spider silk hood)!'

One almost got away, even half-mangled and bleeding, but did not manage to escape through the field of cage traps around the entrance.  I expect him to die shortly.

In any event, I need to rethink my goblin disposal strategy.  That's a bit too much fun for everyday goblin disposal.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 08, 2010, 07:58:01 am »

In any event, I need to rethink my goblin disposal strategy.  That's a bit too much fun for everyday goblin disposal.
If you developed your accidental discovery into a more organised "trial by beasts" arrangement you could create a brilliant collosseum for your dwarves' entertainment.  Lever 1 releases the gobbo, Lever 2 releases the war rat, Lever 3, the war cat, Lever 4 the war dog, Lever 5 the car camel, Lever 6 the war lion etc.

If the gobbo dispatches all the animals, then a final lever opens a door to the outside, as Armok has clearly decreed the gobbo to be Not Guilty and should go free!

It'll probably turn up in Legends as well, which will be awesome.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 08, 2010, 12:59:25 pm »

That is just awesome...

A friend of mine asked about what he saw on screen:
"Is that lava?"
"No", I responded "that is the blood of my enemies"
He: "Can you give me a copy of that game?"

:D
Why can't my friends be like that.

"What the Carp* are you playing?"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Dude, it looks like a bunch of dots moving around! What are you supposed to do?"
"Survive and build useless constructs of Magma."
"Well, can you shoot anyone?"
"with a Crossbow and Arrow"
"Well that is gay."
"It is good once you get into it. There are plenty of things you can do!"
"Like Dropping a Nuke after a 25 kill streak?"
"Dude, there is no kill streak, you could kill a million Goblins, Elves, Humans, animals, and other stuff." Closest thing to a nuke is the 'Catsplosion theory'"
"Uhh, whatever this game sucks, there are no graphics and crap."

:'( Now I can only talk about Dwarf Fortress to Complete Strangers on a Fourm! No Offense.

*= Blocking a Vulgar word, is all.
No joke, dude. I'm working at a summer camp and you just quoted verbatum all the questions these little kids asked/responded with when they watched me playing it during lunch.

Kids these days, always with the fancy graphics and shoot-em-ups >>;

/agree

Now get off my lawn!
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Rokkomies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 09, 2010, 02:44:52 am »

My very first attempt to tap a Volcano turned out both great and a bit funny fun. I had made a clever plan to dig out a tunnel for my magmareservoir and an other one on top of that to access the magma. I had channeled out a 3x3 area at the end of the upper tunnel and added grates there so that when my miner goes in and breaches the magma, it will not flood the upper tunnel instantly and the miner has enough time to escape. I also had a flood gate ready so that when my miner gets out of the upper tunnel, i can instantly block it just in case (I was not sure if the upper tunnel would flood with magma... It did. Flood gate was necessary).

When everything was set set ready, I designated the last tile to breach the magma. I waited... and waited... and waited, but no one was going in to the tunnel. At last I see some one enter it and thought: "Yay, here we go, and it just happens to be one of the new migrant non-skilled miners, so no harm done if he dies." But in stead of going to mine the magma vein, he goes down the ramps (I did not remove them when i channeled the way down) and in to the magma reservoir. He turned out to be my Legendary Stonecrafter who went down there to get some stone... And this was also the same moment when one of my real miners decided to go and release the magma.

The stone crafter was on his way back in the lover magma tunnel when he saw the searing red stuff pouring in. He tried to run, but bled to death very soon... The miner got safely away tough. Next time, have to remember to forbid all stone in the reservoir before releasing the magma.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 09, 2010, 03:07:49 am »

You just need to put the appropriate arguments in the token. announcements.txt has an explanation of that. In the line that was given:

You find CITIZEN_DEATH, which by default has after it A_D:D_D:UCR_A. A_D means it gets displayed in adventure mode, D_D means it's displayed in dwarf mode(so-and-so has been struck down.), UCR_A means it'll be stuck in a combat report if there is one involving that unit(but if there isn't one already, a new one won't be made). You could leave the UCR_A in there as well. That way, any combat reports that directly result in a citizen getting killed will still have the message to that effect in them. (Bleeding to death doesn't seem to count.)

BOX pops up a message box, as when you find adamantine. P pauses the game, R recenters it. So the line you were given will zoom to it already!

Edit: You don't even need the P in there. BOX implies a pause - the game will not keep running behind a pop-up message. R[ECENTER] might or might not work, though - some events can't readily be centered on. I think a citizen death should be possible(except for maybe falling into nothingness... though with HFS who knows if that even happens anymore), but I'm not terribly inclined to kill my dwarves just to test it. Too darned nice to them...

I did not know one could do that.  DF truly is a plethora of optimization.  I'm totally putting that in my settings; thanks!
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 09, 2010, 11:01:31 am »

I did not know one could do that.  DF truly is a plethora of optimization.  I'm totally putting that in my settings; thanks!
At least until the next version comes out and wipes all your customizations.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: July 09, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »

"What a great spot, sediment, flux, heavy forest/vegetation and a brook"
"No humans or elves, well maybe i will still get goblins and orcs"
"Hmm this sure is a great fortress, 30 champions, traps set up nicely, im ready for them!"
<realizes no one is coming>
<facepalm>

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 09, 2010, 06:12:51 pm »

I still have no anvil...

no bones, fat, meat, skulls, or shells either.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: July 09, 2010, 08:42:11 pm »

Spend half a year (in game..) building an awesome fully automated goblin drowning corridor, all the while watching vids on my other monitor. Vid stops, I start another one, but media player crashes. No prob I'll just bring up task manager and kill Dwarf Fortress.exe. NOOOOOOO!!!!
(this happened 30 seconds ago, maybe its a sign to go to sleep and 31.09 will be out when I wake up!)

lamoxlamae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: July 10, 2010, 05:21:11 pm »

I channeled underground to start construction of a new fortress as for some reason it wasn't letting me just build stairs. Everything was going well until I noticed nobody but the miners were inside. In fact, I could only build up/down stairs underground. The miners were trapped! I poked at things frustrated for an hour and had to reboot my save as the first time the miners had started resorting to cannibalism.

On the second save I found what I had done wrong: I should have gone underground and told it to build stairs up.

Kazul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: July 10, 2010, 07:47:21 pm »

The message popped up that "Someone had withdrawn from society"

Instead of letting them do their thing I reloaded a previous save thinking "wtf I just lost my carpenter"

*facepalm*
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 729