Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141826 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1755 on: May 27, 2010, 05:11:33 am »

Queued up all my valuables for trading then asked a simple question: "What does 'o' do?"

now hopefully you learned the "sieze" bit next.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 27, 2010, 06:15:01 am »

More than once i've spent literally 10mins going through the colossal list of single items, marking dozens of things for trade on both side and accidentally hit Esc once too many times when examining goods.....

.. Ho-kay, lets start again from scratch *facepalm*

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 27, 2010, 07:04:17 am »

Realizing a moment too late that the elaborate magma moat system I'd devised had one flaw.
I had a floodgate in what I thought was a normal corridor, it turned out it was over a channel. Lava now flows out under my floodgate and I can't stop it.
I hastily compensated with a series of overflow tunnels chanelling the lava down into my unused, water filled first cavern layer.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 27, 2010, 12:22:31 pm »

Hi!

More than once i've spent literally 10mins going through the colossal list of single items, marking dozens of things for trade on both side and accidentally hit Esc once too many times when examining goods.....

.. Ho-kay, lets start again from scratch *facepalm*

Please, please never remind me of that. The horror, the horror...

A while ago, I wanted to experiment with getting turtles onto a turtleless map by importing turtles. As vermin cages are not listed as such, I had to check every unmarked cage to separate the turtles from the hedgehogs... That were the longest trading sessions I ever had, I think.

I wonder if the view command could be given a separate key for its exit - that would solve this problem nicely...

Deathworks

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: May 27, 2010, 07:10:29 pm »

Trees? In my pipes? It's more likely than you think.
(alternatively: It's not a big trunk. It's a cave tube!)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:24:22 pm by Eidako »

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:16 pm »

I was building some irrigation channels for some above ground ground farming (some of the squares were not soil) and accidentally connected my channel to a long up/down staircase tunnel which I had been using to find my magma pipe.  It was fine at first, but one of my dwarves had decided it would be a better idea to place a floodgate from the inner part of the channel, effectively trapping himself.  I noticed the staircase which led to the outside 2 squares away, and without really thinking about what it was I channeled a little pathway for my dwarf to get out.  Lets just say flooding the entirety of your exploratory mines is not good for frame rates.  However, I was already finished exploring, so it wasn't game ending, it just took a very long time for the mines to fill up, eventually restoring my framerate.

I tried pouring magma into the up/down staircases, but water flows quite a bit faster than magma, so obsidian kept forming one square too far away.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 28, 2010, 05:04:09 am »

Reading this thread was occasion for quite a few facepalms on my part. I guess I have made almost all the mistakes that can be made in this game, some of them without realizing it before reading this. This is a great thread! I believe it will save me from a lot of facepalming in the future.

DF: where imagination beats animation

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: May 28, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »

The fact that a ant spearwoman with only shields, a wooden spear, and a few friends could spend three month fighting a forgotten beast, but my legendary fighter/legendary axe user chopped her in half then got his arm broken and his ear nearly ripped off being pushed by the pathetic creature, while trying to use a spear he wasn't ordered to carry.

The fact that, right as my military saved an unfortunate woodcutter from a very incompetent giant cave spider who couldn't ever hit and had his bites deflect off of cloth clothes, he bites the guy in the head and the woodcutter bleeds out.

:(

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 29, 2010, 03:38:31 am »

Moral of the story? Don't put the floodgate control levers in the room you're flooding.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 29, 2010, 07:45:26 am »

Just happened 1 sec ago: I was taking advantage of winter to build a series of 8 water wheels over ice while the rest of my power plant was getting built; the wheels were in position, the last bit was the gearwheel that would have prevented them from falling when ice thawed.
And of course, the ice melted while the mechanic was 3 tiles away from the construction spot for the gearwheel!!!

Next time, supports first I guess...

eddy the lip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 29, 2010, 11:08:08 am »

In a desperate effort to maintain framerate I've been dumping stones in quantum piles. Discovered just now that the same menu for mass dumping has an option for mass reclaiming. (d > b > c for others that have been wearing out the 'f' key.)

Godmouth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 29, 2010, 02:37:55 pm »

Designating a huge room for mining without paying attention to the adamantine vein in the middle.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 29, 2010, 07:37:54 pm »

Just had my fledgling fortress inta-killed by a skeletal lungfish.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 29, 2010, 10:42:12 pm »

I just accidentally, when turning off all stones but slate in an attempt to process my mayor's request for slade goods (I didn't see he wanted spoilerstones!), turned all stones back on.

I didn't hit any economic stones... except raw adamantine. I now have an adamantine table, a mechanism, three doors, and an armor stand. That could have equipped a half squad with weapons! At least I've still got more than enough to equip them all with adamantine weapons, and adamantine armor adds only marginal benefits over iron against common foes.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 30, 2010, 01:26:05 pm »

A farmer just locked himself in a room by building the floodgate from the inside. *shakes head in dismay*
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 729