Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141201 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1635 on: May 10, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »

Well i lost my only miners today, to the bloody channel command, so i embark on a site with two rivers joining in a medium sized canyon that is just perfect for building something inside of it, also the area is full of aquifier, so i dig out a layer of one side and see that the layer beneath is aquifier, so i decide to channel it out so the builiding has a waterfall at it's base, they channel it out and step inside, and promptly get swept away into the river, get stunned and drown in several seconds.Now i have a single peasant training up to be a miner(no more picks)
Also a leatherworker went insane because she couldn't get wooden logs(i had plenty) and tanned leather(damn kittens not giving any)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 10, 2010, 02:13:53 pm »

I just found out the hard way that if you build a floor over an up/down stair, then remove the floor, it turns the up/down stair into a down stair.

My latest fortress had the following food-related areas on successive levels, all linked by up/down stair:
 0: Outdoor farm (walled for security)
-1: Indoor farm
-2: Food/drink stockpile
-3: Legendary dining room

I tunneled from the indoor farm to a nearby murky pool to irrigate it, and temporarily paved over the stairs leading down from it so the rooms below wouldn't flood.  When the water had all spread out to 1/7 depth, I removed the floor tiles to allow access, not realizing that in doing so I had turned the up/down stairs into down-only stairs, thereby denying access to the walled garden above.

I only realized there was a problem when the three dwarves who had been in the garden at the time all died of thirst seconds apart (including one of my original seven).  In hindsite, I should have realized something was amiss from all the spam about "Urist McPlanter cancels Plant Seeds: needs Longland grass seeds", but I assumed this was just the new versions way of telling me I was out of seeds.

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 10, 2010, 04:02:27 pm »

A dwarf died due to carp when fishing. When going to retrieve his stuff, another dwarf died. This continued for ten dwarves, even after I designated the area restricted, removed the fishing zone, and restricted the items of the dead dwarfs.
You know, they really love socks. And a dwarf can lose his life just to save the precious memory of his dearest friend - the sock.
You know, you can designate dead dwarves' items to START forbidden. I wonder how people still fall for it, when this functionality is avaliable for years already :3.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:18 pm »

Uris McPlanter (Legendary) collided with a elephant outside my fortress. His third toe was being smashed and he got unconcious (facepalm) and stuck in the "Urist McPlanter cancels xxx: Interrupted by Elephant" bug... (big facepalm) After I killed the elephant Urist was brought to the hospital where a doctor decided Urist McPlanter must have a surgery. (facepalm)

After knowing the dwarf will never do any work any more, because of the surgery will never be completed bug, I went on with the typical tasks in the fortress. After a while I read "Urist McDoctor cancels Surgery: Patient not resting". Urist McPlanter is up and working again, without being healed. (happy facepalm) :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:37:26 pm by grufti »

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 10, 2010, 06:00:35 pm »

My current project fort seems to be in wildlife heaven.  The problem with this is that they keep filling up my cages by trying to wander into my nice moat enshrouded castle.  I keep having to release and slay them to keep empty cages for gobbos.  Well the real problem in this is that I have to keep war dogs at the entrance to keep the worthless wildlife out of my cages, but then the gobbos come by and kill the dogs.  Then, depending on my stocks, they run in through possibly empty cage traps since I keep having to cycle my cages.  Then I have to train more dogs, and in the meantime more animals fill up my cages.

More annoying than facepalm worthy, until a frakin raccoon pushed a dwarf off a wall and into my moat.  Come on, a raccoon?
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 10, 2010, 06:01:47 pm »

A dwarf died due to carp when fishing. When going to retrieve his stuff, another dwarf died. This continued for ten dwarves, even after I designated the area restricted, removed the fishing zone, and restricted the items of the dead dwarfs.
You know, they really love socks. And a dwarf can lose his life just to save the precious memory of his dearest friend - the sock.
You know, you can designate dead dwarves' items to START forbidden. I wonder how people still fall for it, when this functionality is avaliable for years already :3.
But they like socks any way.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 10, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1443/destroyedit.gif
Lor Izegonol got what he deserved. Also, he saved me a single lever pull. (Intended to drop them anyway). Oh well.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 10, 2010, 09:24:39 pm »

A glacier.
Thirsty Dwarves.
No booze.
A well.
The Cold.
A bucket of ice.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DEATH.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

DowntownRiott

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 11, 2010, 10:57:09 am »

Thinking my game was bugged or broken in some way shape or form, I could not trade! I would spam the "o" button, alter whether I was at loss, or the trader was, change the weights to positive and negative, go back and forth with everything, retry buying everything many a time over, then after asking on the forums, I was pointed to pressing "t".... 3 hours of possible digging wasted. Thanks Naz for making me an idiot ^_^

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 11, 2010, 11:43:02 am »

This is a very minor one. I discovered a deep pit leading to a cavern layer that I hadn't breached yet, so I did the obvious. Both my starting cats had adopted already, so I tossed in the donkey that pulled the wagon. I made sure there wasn't anything on the landing spot, so that the donkey could explore if it survived the fall. The only thing on ground zero was a fungiwood sapling.

The sapling grew up as the donkey was falling.

I wonder if that blind cave ogre will attack it.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Murasaki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 11, 2010, 11:56:57 am »

Only realizing yesterday that Page-Up/Page-Down can be used through lists  ::)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 11, 2010, 12:31:30 pm »

Ah! Another facepalm so early in a fort!

I started with a miner, a doctor, a mason, a weaponsmith/armorsmith, a metalcrafter/appraiser/leader, an axedwarf/armor user, and a planter.

I got three migrants the first summer:

A weaponsmith (talented)
A metalcrafter (talented)
and an architect (novice, he's my new carpenter)

Also, a spattering of crundle blood seems to be migrating down my entrance ramp.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT NOT ANOTHER METALCRAFTER. And this one's Accomplished.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:43:18 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 11, 2010, 01:17:07 pm »

Slightly off-mode but...

Made a Legendary Thrower/Wrestler/Shield User in Adventure Mode, died by dodging into a pond which froze over one turn later. \o/
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 12, 2010, 03:24:45 am »

Not being careful when digging a channel, which caused my only miner (and only pick) to fall down one z-level, after which the cave in broke into the newly-found cavern one z-level below. After this, I decided not to save the miner, due to the fact that he was busy chasing a troll in the cavern. Much to my surprise, he killed the troll with only a couple yellow wounds. Since he was already down there, I drafted him, and told him to kill an Elk bird, for the lulz. He dropped his pick, and started wrestling the Elk bird, only to have his head ripped off in the first few seconds of the fight.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 729