Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141788 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1335 on: March 29, 2010, 05:11:14 pm »

It happened to me again, it was my first DigDwarfier fort and it was doing somewhat nicely, i was digging out a large room that would probably be either a workshop area or a dining room, then i stumble upon an UG river, and before seailing it off an Olmman goes in, a drafted miner kills it, then they start pouring in, kill a cat, injure a dwarf, send another one into tantruming, i draft another one, he dies, they rush in to get the remains and two more die to the crocodile, at this point i am left with a farmer, miner, woodcutter and a carpenter.I say fuck this and abandon, this time i dig carefully, who needs minerals if you can stay alive :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 30, 2010, 11:03:49 am »

who needs minerals if you can stay alive :D
Who need living people if you can find booze?

nervousmigrants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 30, 2010, 08:46:00 pm »

Well, my 20 z-level pump stack that I built without walls in order to have a huge fountain, predictably, flooded the banks of my river.  Since I'm on an aquifer (and they make SCARY amounts of water), the river stayed full and the pump stack kept pumping...  Then the water it pumped overflowed what I anticipated and the currents starting carrying random dwarves who were outside for a variety of tasks to their deaths.  *facepalm*

Fortunately, I anticipated this possibility and left a lever that could shut the system down.  It was blocked by 6/7 water.  *facepalm*

Finally, someone pathed right and got there and pulled the lever.  It dropped 60 tiles of 7/7 straight into the river, which had a pipe going straight into my fortress so my dwarves wouldn't have to go to the river and die of carp attack.  Well, it flooded and my fortress began to get wet.  *facepalm*

Fortunately, I had a reservoir for exactly this situation!  I pulled the appropriate levers and pathed the water into my reservoir.  Where, forgetfully, I had stored all my finished goods which were subsequently washed all over the place.  *facepalm*

So I tried to get the dorfs to release the water in the reservoir, but they never got around to the lever-work that would make that happen...  *facepalm*

So I deconstructed a wall piece.  This went badly, as it flowed down through a Open Space I didn't know was there, straight into my fortress.  *facepalm*

And that's my FP story.
GENERATION ALEPH-NULL:  The first time you see this on any forum, go troll someone with your signature.  Social experiment.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 31, 2010, 12:08:39 am »

I spent a lot of time building and designing a massive aqueduct system that would lead into my fortress. It involves three screw pumps. One leads to an initial pond on the outside for use when their are no sieges, the second leads to a walled/roofed off area on the top level of my fort, the third to back to the river source. It literally takes 30 minutes to construct just the walls. I forget to be careful about the order I build the windmills that will power the pumps in, and the first one ends up dumping an incredible amount of water into the outside pond, which floods. I order it deconstructed, and the carpenter tries to walk OVER the hidden lake, falls in, and drowns. He was a legendary woodcutter.

I fix that problem, and am pumping water into the inner reserve and out again (in an attempt to keep it flowing and prevent flooding). It floods. Everywhere. If i hadn't built a door I would've lost my fortress. I add another screw pump to pump out more water. It still floods. I finally get fed up and order the deconstruction of the whole shebang. While it's being deconstructed, a child is crushed by a floor piece that fell from the upper level. Mother goes insane, etc. etc. Fun. Luckily the stains were washed away by the flooding water which rushed through the fort since no one had disabled the first pump.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1339 on: March 31, 2010, 07:38:41 am »

Yesterday's facepalm:

When you remove a dwarf from the military, he will immediately drop the weapons and armor he is carrying wherever he happens to be standing at the time.  Even if he's standing on the beach among crashing waves.  That dropped armor, crossbow, and stack of bolts will then generate constant job canceled messages as it is pushed around by waves for years.  Note to self:  in the future, move your temporarily drafted military to the armor/weapons stockpile, then remove them from the military.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 31, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »

Building lots and lots of huge moats into my fort when it spews out. Thank god my fort has walls.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:18:35 pm by Coronel_Niel »

Ulys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 31, 2010, 03:20:01 pm »

My underground tower was dug out, so I wanted to start the real deal above ground.
There was some floor left from when I dug out the 1z level hill so I decided to be clever and to let it cave in to go faster.
Over the tower.
With all my dwarves inside.
The cave in punched through all the layers of the underground tower.

6 dead, 1 survivor, the mason who was outside building the trade tower.

I think I'm not experienced enough to play with cave in.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 31, 2010, 04:18:42 pm »

a typical 5 seconds on dwarf fortress:

Urist Mcpeasant has died from the heat!
"wait, there's a fire?"
"oh, there is a fire."
"Oh God, everything's on fire!"

edit-found the cause of my fire.  I had freed my statue garden to stop a party but forgot to reset it.  So my dwarves decided to use the mouth of my magma pit as a meeting place instead.  Then the fire imps came out screaming, "Get off mah lawn, yah filthy dwarves".  And, yeah
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:51:16 pm by Dendou »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 31, 2010, 04:29:15 pm »

My underground tower was dug out, so I wanted to start the real deal above ground.
There was some floor left from when I dug out the 1z level hill so I decided to be clever and to let it cave in to go faster.
Over the tower.
With all my dwarves inside.
The cave in punched through all the layers of the underground tower.

6 dead, 1 survivor, the mason who was outside building the trade tower.

The Expedition Leader is dead. Long live the Expedition Leader.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1344 on: March 31, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »

Today's facepalm:

Building an elaborate system to capture some of the unicorns roaming the map for the purpose of building an automated unicorn breeding system to give my dwarves an unending supply of unicorn meat and fat ... then realizing that unicorns don't give birth.  I'm considering modding them to do so anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 01, 2010, 02:12:23 am »

I believe most dwarven science is understood by accident :)

I just had a beautiful moment, not exactly a facepalm though:

A bunch of migrants arrive on a map with an open magma pipe.

"Some migrants have arrived!"

"Kitty McKitten has died in the heat"

Wooooohoooo!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 01, 2010, 03:06:59 am »

This is the drain from my meeting area.

Mist machine fail.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Ulys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 01, 2010, 03:47:51 am »

I believe most dwarven science is understood by accident :)

The worst part is that I waited for them to be underground because I didn't want them to get hurt.
But I knew it. Sometimes I do strange things without really thinking.

Like when I deconstructed the door to the aquifer to build a floodgate.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 01, 2010, 06:34:27 am »

Aye, I had a similar moment - dwarfs set to [SPEED=1] for megaconstruction work.

Single pump built on top of a magma pipe surrounded by walls to control the flow. I thought the pump was "on", just no one was pumping, and I needed to take down the walls on the exit end of the pump.

I "d-n"'s the wall, "q-enter"'d the pump, and watched as two dwarfs ran up to the construction at hyperspeed, one to man the pump, the other to take down the wall...

"Urist McMason has died in the heat"

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:03 am »

I started a new fort with everything I could want-- a brook, an underwater river, a magma pipe, flux.

The pipe opened above ground where the imps could run free, without any form of cover what so ever to hold them in. I died literally in a few minutes.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 729