Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2144398 times)

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1080 on: February 10, 2010, 07:35:20 pm »

I tiled large swaths of my tower cap farm before muddying.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 10, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »

I just built 78 screw pumps.

And when I say built.  I mean I had to demolish 78 screw pumps and build new ones.... This time ALL of them are magma-safe.

*SMACK*

And FYI... 78 pumps moves a lot of fluid.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 10, 2010, 09:36:09 pm »

Built a pretty nice magma bridge-drop at my entrance. Dissatisfied with the time it took to drain, I built a mechanism to mix water with the magma. I didn't realize that the bridge would prevent the removal of the floor tiles, making the drop useless.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 11, 2010, 01:36:07 pm »

Good lord, they're that hardcore?

Here's hoping they make it to vanilla someday. Give the carp a run for their money.
They won't. According to Toady, goblins and orcs are basically and mythologically (is that a word?) the same. Some people call them orcs, some call them goblins. So, the Orc Mod orcs are rather just Goblins++.
I believe that orcs are half human half goblin, by their green appearance and large canines.

What are goblins?I don't give a fuck.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 11, 2010, 02:16:51 pm »

I tiled large swaths of my tower cap farm before muddying.

I tiled large swaths of my food-farm *after* muddying.
And I muddied it with buckets from above (pond designation).
Yeah...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 12, 2010, 03:07:53 am »

a goblin squad took one (1) casualty, and then fled for the hills.

Dammit! I wanted that goblinite!

I guess that's what I get for only letting one orc out of the 4 squads that came survive. Well, I didn't really let him, he was just the only one smart enough not to stand on the spike traps. Or the weapon traps. Or on the give-away bridge his fearless leader tried to lead him on to. So I guess he earned the right to stay alive.

sermihage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 12, 2010, 04:08:59 am »

So I finally decided to start up my first megaproject. The great fortress Lancercusps was going to be 15 z-levels underwater, have an internal obsidian farm, room for 300 3x3 dwarf rooms, A giant rampart outside the water, a hanging rampart above the fortress (on top of the water), and a Giant wall from one side of the map to the other, with a rampart on top.

It was year three, when I suddenly got 40 migrants, bringing my dwarf count up to 93. Panicking due to the soon to come sieges, I channel out the outside of the ring and build the three golden orthoclase bridges and lock myself in. The caravan comes, and I let them in.

Time to start building! The first step was to rewall the upper ring of the reservoir. When I finished the last corner, I noticed later that the caravan had just gotten slaughtered. I kept looking for the way they got out, and even pondered if they had flown or something.

So now I had 20 or so goblins going after me, so I institude marshal law. 30 dwarfs die. When I had 6 dwarfs left because of the tantrum spiral, I decided to just abandon the place and reclaim it later.

... to find out the cruel way that designations dont get saved.

Ten to twelve hours of slow and perfectionist designations lost.

:'(

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 12, 2010, 05:14:18 am »

Macros will help with that.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:33 am »

Last game - nice place, mostly sand, enough trees, few beasties (though there was a carp infestation, but fortunately 3zl down the waterfall). Got through 5 seasons, then read in wiki about mist generator - http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/File:Newmist.jpg. Set up large enough system of self-powered pumps. Next step - pour down some water in mist generator room, directly above large meeting hall with two thirds of entire population. As seen in picture, there is 1x1 pond.
So I thought - let's make here a well! And that pond will make perfect way to fill up well cistern. One level below.
Well, first it happened that my machinery incapable of pouring down water in mist room and powering up mist pump - some of water spilled down, wetting hall floor. Damn. OK, stop it all, mprove machinery, as well as closing mist holes with hatches, leaving only hole leading down to cistern. Done. Let's pour some water. And let's make some digging at other map edge...

Now, what will happen if you pour water down 4 z levels? Right, it'll easily come up one z level and flood entire fortress through well. And control levers are right behind flooded part of fortress. And water still comes... /facepalm

And some newer stuff - got idea of some sort of megaproject - find map with pit and sand, and cover pit with glass blocks to make floor adn ceiling. You know, bottomless pit  under your feet... So I gen'd world, found map 5x5 with pit, magma, lot of other resources... and  sandy clay instead of sand. FFFFUUUUU.....
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 12, 2010, 07:33:42 pm »

When building walls and floors and the like, use uhkm to change dimensions.

I am facepalming right now.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 13, 2010, 08:51:42 am »

*sigh* Just lost my current fort to orcs.

So I decided I wanted my barracks to be outside. After building the initial walls against the side of the cliff I went up a z-lvl and built a wall along the edge of the cliff to avoid snipers hanging out ontop of my baracks later on. Appearently I missed one diagonal on this wall as a short while later I get the message Urist Mcdwarfndwarf has canceld picking nose, inturpted by orc x30. Within a matter of minutes my entire fort had crumbled :(
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Rico21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:21 am »

If I make a base in a canyon, I usually make it first priority to remove all the ramps leading up the mountain so enemies can't suddenly drop in the middle of my area.  I just found out that "remove ramps" in the designation menu also applies to natural ramps.  I used to think the only way to make them disappear was to build walls in their spot.  The time I could have saved before..

Hunterdew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 14, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »

When worldgen put "The Carnal Hill" next to "The Forest of Decency."
Hunterdew cancels having a life: Playing Dwarf Fortress

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 14, 2010, 05:18:32 pm »

This one JUST happened...

My brand new fortress was attacked by roaming harpies and beak dogs. Everyone died except my woodsdwarf and a random miner who went insane and ran off into the woods screaming and ripping his own clothes off.

So I figure the Fortress is salvageable. I send my sane Dwarf back to the fortress to flip the switch to the drawbridge and lock himself in. He does. Then he charges across the bridge and gets crushed by it.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 14, 2010, 08:49:58 pm »

I decided to give my clothing industry a much needed boost, so I decided to use an above ground farm system, with the appropriate crops. However, I needed to irrigate everything. So, I make a pump beside the river, for my dwarf to pump it and flood the area. Well, somehow the idiot managed to drown himself in an open plain. What I think happened was that the water pushed him into a nearby pool, immediately drowning him. I still want to know how he was stupid enough to do that.

The real kicker? He was my clothier.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 729