Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)  (Read 110594 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2009, 09:39:00 am »

I believe some of those options will also deface engravings, so you may wish to choose carefully

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2010, 02:18:08 am »

Hi, has anyone tried this in DF 2010? Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2010, 02:33:28 am »

What this exactly? Mist-generator, sequence repeater or magma-death-machine? :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2010, 07:24:40 am »

Why does it have to be one of these? If I build an ornamental waterfall that can't at least drown everyone in the room with the flick of a lever, I'm doing something horribly wrong.

I've always considered power and pumps inelegant and relied on naturally pressurised water if available... but this is definitely raising my interest. Awesome thread.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2010, 07:34:53 am »

Tnx asked a question about some design, but there are three different schematics (albeit based on the same design idea) in this thread, so I just asked for clarification. Sorry if I was a bit confusing, of course there's no need to limit yourself to these three devices while playing the game. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2010, 09:20:05 am »

I'm actually wondering if the magma death machine wouldn't be better with the sequencing triggers. that would ensur ethat the magma gets dropped and stays down long enough to properly crisp even from above. With several rows that recycle the magma above themselves you should be able to get a wawe effect, with an approaching wall of magma coming towards the invaders quickly, then disappearing leaving only the burned corpses and loot.

It would require and obcsene amount of bauxit mechanism for the pressure plates, but it would be a quite cool setup.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2010, 09:24:22 am »

It would require and obcsene amount of bauxit mechanism for the pressure plates, but it would be a quite cool setup.
One of the nifty features in DF2010 is the ability to make mechanisms from any metal.  Steel or iron mechanisms are magma-safe.  There are also about a dozen stones that have been made magma-safe besides bauxite now.  Making elaborate magma-based mechanical deathtraps is a lot more practical in the current version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2010, 09:33:48 am »

You can only make mechanisms out of weapons-grade metals.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:08 am »

Ah, didn't know that.  I've only been making them out of iron and steel.  Haven't tried to make gold mechanisms yet, makes sense that it wouldn't work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SikBok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2010, 03:55:22 pm »

Hi, has anyone tried this in DF 2010? Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

To answer your question: Yes, this mist generator works in DF 2010

I've tested the version in the OP picture, but using a retracting bridge on z0 (it's mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread).
That allows you to bucket fill the generator without the walls on z0 and prevents wet tiles on z-1.

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:21:31 pm by SikBok »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »

Thank you for the response.  I'll try this as soon as I can. :)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:19 pm »

Note to self; try this.

Hail the OP!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2010, 01:02:31 pm »

Haven't read the whole thread yet... sorry.

Has anyone tried stacked pumps instead of inline?  You could potentially make mist generators in cliff walls:
Code: [Select]

######
  D %>
### <%
######

# = unmined tile
D = Door
  = clear tile
The water would have to fall two tiles to be picked up by the bottom pump (enough for magma?)  The "hard" part would be putting in three gears to transfer power between the two pumps.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2010, 01:41:34 pm »

This actually started out as something completely different (a repeater that didn't function) but it turned out to make one of my favorite things: LOTS OF MIST!

I must ask: Would this work with magma?

I've fought so many FBs frying my dorfs with various mists now that I can't help but think of frying gobos with magma mist myself.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2010, 02:00:49 pm »

This actually started out as something completely different (a repeater that didn't function) but it turned out to make one of my favorite things: LOTS OF MIST!

I must ask: Would this work with magma?

I've fought so many FBs frying my dorfs with various mists now that I can't help but think of frying gobos with magma mist myself.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, magma does not mist from a single tile drop, so not the original design.  However, I believe it is unknown if you can drop magma far enough to mist it with out a cave in.  There are also several designs (with video) for magma traps using this about midpoint in the thread.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12