Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark modding?  (Read 958 times)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark modding?
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:49:47 am »

Would it be possible to change which animals are available at the embark screen, and how much they cost to bring along?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Embark modding?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:20:14 pm »

What animals are available is dependant upon where your civ is located and can not be changed without just regening a new world. The value of pets, however, can be changed by using the [PET_VALUE:?] tag if I remember correctly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:35:48 pm »

If you add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to an animal, it will always be available at the embark screen. This requires a worldgen however.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:38:45 pm »

If you add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to an animal, it will always be available at the embark screen. This requires a worldgen however.

I tried that, and it's not working.  Do any other tags interfere with it being available?

Does it have to go into 'creatures_domestic.txt'?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:58:48 pm »

I tried that, and it's not working.  Do any other tags interfere with it being available?

none that I know of, other than ur civ not having common_domestic_pet, and no they can be anywhere.

Post the raws of the creatures you are trying to bring at embark. Post your error log if there are any error messages. This way i'll be able to see exactly what's going on. Also, try deleting your data/objects folder (especially if you have been moving entries around in the raws) and regenning.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:14:50 pm »

none that I know of, other than ur civ not having common_domestic_pet, and no they can be anywhere.

Post the raws of the creatures you are trying to bring at embark. Post your error log if there are any error messages. This way i'll be able to see exactly what's going on. Also, try deleting your data/objects folder (especially if you have been moving entries around in the raws) and regenning.

I was trying to make GCS's available to purchase at embark.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only changes I made were adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC], adding in the [CHILD] tags, and upping the population number.

I also tried changing [PET_EXOTIC] to just [PET] and neither worked.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:01:06 am »

In the long run, there may just be a chance that the dwarven civ you picked had no access to GCS's.
Try changing the biome tag, of course, this will make GCS's a lot more common, which could develop large amounts of fun.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:45:58 am »

In the long run, there may just be a chance that the dwarven civ you picked had no access to GCS's.
Try changing the biome tag, of course, this will make GCS's a lot more common, which could develop large amounts of fun.

Common domestic overrides biomes anyway (you will get them on the embark screen even if there is none alive in your world).

I just tested this out, your problem is the [PET_EXOTIC] tag. Remove it and replace it with [PET]. You will then have to gen a new world (which i'm assuming is what you didn't do last time). I got GCS every time after I did this.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:12:21 am »

Common domestic overrides biomes anyway (you will get them on the embark screen even if there is none alive in your world).

I just tested this out, your problem is the [PET_EXOTIC] tag. Remove it and replace it with [PET]. You will then have to gen a new world (which i'm assuming is what you didn't do last time). I got GCS every time after I did this.

Well it works now, thanks a lot!  I think I did forget to gen a new world after changing the pet tag the first time.