Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Observation About Sparring  (Read 988 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Observation About Sparring
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:13:52 am »

I know it is well-known that dwarves can gain skill in wrestling very quickly. However, I have noticed something in my current fort that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, and thought I would post it here to see if anyone else has found the same thing.

Note that this is based on subjective experience; I haven't yet done any 'scientific' tests to see how many game months skill increases take etc.

Basically, the observation is this: That if you allow 2 new recruits with no combat skills to spar unarmed, they will both gain wrestling skill very quickly (as is already known,) BUT if you have a number of dwarves who are already legendary wrestlers and then get one new recruit sparring with them, the recruit will gain skill much more slowly. To the extent that in a number of cases a few months or so have gone by, my new recruit is a competent shield and armor user but still only a dabbling wrestler.

I'm assuming that the reason for this is that to gain quick skill increases in wrestling, they have to actually hit or grab their opponent, and if all opponents are legendary they will hardly ever be able to, so they can only gain skill by dodging which increases wrestling more slowly.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Observation About Sparring
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:24:21 am »

That is the case

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:48:01 am »

Correct, and frankly I don't know that it's realistic or not. I mean perhaps legendaries or let's call them "masters" should boost the low skilled dwarves more efficiently. That is how it's working in real life also.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:29 am »

hmm.. do dwarfs only spar with members of their own squads? *tends to have huge squads*

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:08 am »

hmm.. do dwarfs only spar with members of their own squads? *tends to have huge squads*

No, they'll spar with anyone, including the Fortress Guard and Royal Guard. I generally have mine in 1-dwarf squads so they don't all keep following the leader when he goes to eat or sleep.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:04:27 am »

They do follow the squad leader though, so they only spar when he is sparring. The squad leader ends up gaining the most skill from this. Only time I've found it useful to keep them in squads when off duty is when each squad is training with a different weapon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:06:33 am by Elvang »
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:18:09 am »

i'm just lazy :p

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 12:26:19 pm »

They do follow the squad leader though, so they only spar when he is sparring. The squad leader ends up gaining the most skill from this. Only time I've found it useful to keep them in squads when off duty is when each squad is training with a different weapon.

They also chat while they are standing around their leader's bed and such. That helps boost their social skills and thus their attributes. Having a squad of legendary comedians and consolers also helps to reduce the impact of the inevitable losses of their dwarves-in-arms.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.