Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advantages to simulating worlds in DF  (Read 2123 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Advantages to simulating worlds in DF
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 05:28:54 pm »

It will be here before then, Dwarf fortress couldn't survive 10 years without a 1.0V but I'm just waiting for the next revision to come up.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 05:37:04 pm »

It will be here before then, Dwarf fortress couldn't survive 10 years without a 1.0V but I'm just waiting for the next revision to come up.

Couldn't? How old is Dwarf Fortress again? And it's still on Alpha...

But by them, we might have some quantum processors to run this baby. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »

Given the exponentially increasing rate of technological advances, and a recent breakthrough in this very field, I can safely bet quantum computers will be in the hands of the general populace before 2015.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »

Dwarf Fortress the <World Simulator>
This is a masterfully crafted worldsimulator, all the craftdwarfship is the highest quality, on the world simulator there is an image a human and a fortress mode, the fortress mode is played, the human is confused...

In other aspect, in these last times i played more in world generation than in fortress mode (i never played adventurers ... it is just too confusing for me now ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 02:23:58 am »

"Bloodedrivers the new Beginnings"
On the forums is a masterful rendition of an image of a human and a dwarf fortress wiki. The dwarf fortress wiki is being read by the human. The human looks unconfused excited and even more confused as the games complexity/awesomeness unfolds a tiny bit more.
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 02:40:59 am »

On the forums is a masterful rendition of an image of a human and a dwarf fortress wiki. The dwarf fortress wiki is being read by the human. The human has no goddamn clue what the hell is going on.

Fix'd

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 01:05:11 pm »

On the forums is a masterful rendition of an image of a human and a dwarf fortress wiki. The dwarf fortress wiki is being read by the human. The human has no goddamn clue what the hell is going on.

Fix'd

Added to the quote page.  #64

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 01:26:14 pm »

Given the exponentially increasing rate of technological advances, and a recent breakthrough in this very field, I can safely bet quantum computers will be in the hands of the general populace before 2015.
When dealing with predictions add 25 years and an 'if ever'. :(

edit : fixed quote
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:49:48 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 02:34:53 pm »

Bah..in the 10 years or so till we get DF 1.0 I'm sure somebody somewhere will come up with a brand new ground breaking shiny way to program pathfinding and flow calculations. So keep your hopes up!

DF's path finding algorithm (A*)was old when Toady One used it. But it is simple to implement, and does the job without breaking too much or too often.

'sides, there aren't a lot of efficient solutions to most problems DF faces. The constraint is the time it takes to implement and then debug the implementation. And then again, as has been mentioned, don't bother to optimize too early or too much, since it makes maintenance and expansion a nightmare (and Moore's Law consistently solved the computing power. The Age of Multicores is a whole different beast, however).

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 02:52:18 pm »

And then again, as has been mentioned, don't bother to optimize too early or too much, since it makes maintenance and expansion a nightmare (and Moore's Law consistently solved the computing power. The Age of Multicores is a whole different beast, however).

Wasn't it Knuth who said "Premature optimization is the root of all evil"?  I love that quote.  (In context, he was talking about bit-twiddling and instruction reordering, low level optimization instead of using a better algorithm.)

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 02:58:09 pm »

Wasn't it Knuth who said "Premature optimization is the root of all evil"?  I love that quote.  (In context, he was talking about bit-twiddling and instruction reordering, low level optimization instead of using a better algorithm.)

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil (or at least most of it) in programming." Knuth in Computer Programming as Art (IIRC).

And yes, a better algorithm usually solves the performance problem. Just compare bubble sort (if you can call randomness an algorithm) to quick sort.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 08:32:20 pm »

I'll grant you that the Technological Singularity might happen in the next 15 years, but not by 2015.  And quantum computing won't be easily and cheaply made in mass quantities available to the unwashed masses by then either.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 09:33:09 pm »

I'll grant you that the Technological Singularity might happen in the next 15 years, but not by 2015.  And quantum computing won't be easily and cheaply made in mass quantities available to the unwashed masses by then either.

I'll file this prediction in the same folder that flying cars and tin-can automatons went.  I'm still waiting for those.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:25 pm »

Oh, flying cars are real.  They just aren't available to the public mainly because the public doesn't have a flying license and that airspace is heavily restricted.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 12:55:07 am »

Oh, flying cars are real.  They just aren't available to the public mainly because the public doesn't have a flying license and that airspace is heavily restricted.
Yeah read a news article about a guy driving around the world with his flying car, the hardest part to get the papers that allowed him to fly in the diffrent contrys.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.
Pages: 1 [2]